Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caged Hydra  (Read 986 times)

Train Poacher

• Bay Watcher
  • It menaces with spikes of bad decisions.
    • View Profile
Caged Hydra
« on: November 23, 2010, 11:08:47 pm »

I just had a hydra attack my fort, and, to my surprise, it fell directly into a cage trap without being knocked out or otherwise incapacitated.

So I'm basically ecstatic right now, with my newfound pet. But the current bug with immigrant nobles is keeping me from getting a dungeon master, so I can't tame this bad boy just yet. Anyway, just thought I'd share this cool story with the community.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Crifmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caged Hydra
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 11:22:33 pm »

Congratulations!  I've got one of those and two Bronze Colossi...

I'm going to set them outside as "siege breakers."  They'll fight with any enemy armies, to I'm going to build them as cages outside my walls, link them to levers, and when sieged, release them to let them crush my enemies for me.

Catching your first Hydra is awesome.  Let us know what you end up doing with it.  There's another thread somewhere around about pitting a hydra against goblins in a gladiatorial ring.

Train Poacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 11:27:31 pm »

Thanks. I'll probably just be using it to eat excess prisoners until I can tame it.

Also, I just watched a dwarf carry it back to the animal stockpile over the course of several days. The thing weighs over 10000 whats-its.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 04:50:34 am »

Congrats on exploiting silly feature "2x2 meters wooden cage can hold dragons and colossi". Which can knock down any wooden house.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 09:15:46 am »

yeah, somehow it feels "weird" when such things happen.

some bronze colossus just visited my fortress and i was happy that my military could finally show if training/walls/positioning is good at the entrance of my fortress to hold it off (or get slaughted to goo trying). so i mobilized my 60 military people with 20 of them on the walls to crossbow... and that colossus got caught in a puny wooden cage trap while he "dodged" a bolt.

somehow i feel that untamed "whatever gets caged" should i.e. have some attacks against the cage material to break free...

maybe when we get more updates on sieges/war we get something like "attacks vs constructions/traps"
so i.e. walls/doors could be attacked by enemys or breached open. (well a kobold with a dagger would probably get tired pokeing against a dolomite wall to break in, but some steel hammer humans or a bronze colossus or trolls or catapults might be able to break through walls after a few attacks)
and caged "whatever" might be able to attack cages and break them open when the material cant hold them.
maybe they get more tired by each attack... so the first few days after beeing caged they get alot attacks to break free... but after some weeks/a month they might just get 1 attack per week or month while they are caged in a stockpile or constructed cage.

it certainly would encourage to build better material cages and wont realy cage up a hydra in a wooden cage anymore.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 09:22:42 am »

Something tells me that cages are more like a gigantic prisons instead of this tiny cage where you put puppies and kittens in.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Train Poacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 03:40:41 pm »

Something tells me that cages are more like a gigantic prisons instead of this tiny cage where you put puppies and kittens in.

Well, this one certainly must be.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 05:00:23 pm »

somehow i feel that untamed "whatever gets caged" should i.e. have some attacks against the cage material to break free...
A slight tweak is to put the TrapAvoid tag on megabeasts (randomly generated ones have it! so nocaging vomit blobs).
Also giants and anything larger than a elephant (4 tons). I have it on clever Crows too and some goblin castes. Join us on the Genesis lands!
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 10:31:29 am »

I had a bronze colossus attack at the same time as a bunch of goblins. Using a clever series of collapsing bridges, I managed to trap them all in a deep ditch together. The goblins slowly tore the colossus apart, but this was in the first 2010 build where they were pretty much unkillable, so it eventually murdered them all. I lowered the bridge and the crippled construct walked directly into a cage trap.

I never got around to taming him, but he would have been the star attraction at my zoo.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 11:49:52 am »

They clearly run on pokéball technology.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.