Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Humans are amazing builders (itt construction fails)  (Read 4092 times)

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
Re: Humans are amazing builders (itt construction fails)
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 08:13:48 pm »

Right now Elf Forest Retreats, Dwarven Caves, Dark Fortresses, etc. aren't implemented, Toady having taken them down to rework the sprawl and expansion coding, so to visit anything from them you have to: play a version prior to those changes (before .16 right?) or else edit the RAWs to let the other races start out in cities.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 05:24:11 pm »

Those images are absolutely hilarious. Haven't laughed this hard in a couple days.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2010, 10:04:40 pm »

Personally I prefer the equivalent for the old dark fortresses - make a civ that embarks on oceans and they'll attempt to build a port town of sorts, but if their sites are made up of fortresses (the placement of which is essentially random) there's a good chance one will end up at least partially underwater. Similar things would occur for temples as well. It was quite cool having an amphibious civ that made half their buildings only accessible from underwater.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2010, 10:26:45 pm »

My favorite from Adventure Mode where the Wizard Towers,  I actually started a couple characters that died right away from spawning in a "magical floating building"  built over the ocean... other joys from the mod was walking into a town getting a massive lag spike and witnessing a keep sink into the sea.

Cannabust

• Bay Watcher
  • Prick with a pick
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 10:25:39 pm »

There are three other perfect sides to build into, why do they have to do this. And by a river no less, so spawning next to it is impossible and I have to walk a fair distance to get to the travel mode.
Current Adventurer: Fel AXESEVER, the MOUNTAINOUS VIOLENCE
http://new-eggbert.myminicity.com/ind (WE NEED FACTORIES!)
Armok needs blood, I just do it with picks.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 09:49:47 pm »

There are three other perfect sides to build into, why do they have to do this. And by a river no less, so spawning next to it is impossible and I have to walk a fair distance to get to the travel mode.

Just walk around to the other side and stop there.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 10:17:07 pm »

A moat?

Cannabust

• Bay Watcher
  • Prick with a pick
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 11:02:29 pm »

The castle won't let me spawn within a block of the fortress, so it's a long walk no matter where I go.
Current Adventurer: Fel AXESEVER, the MOUNTAINOUS VIOLENCE
http://new-eggbert.myminicity.com/ind (WE NEED FACTORIES!)
Armok needs blood, I just do it with picks.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 11:45:54 pm »

For some reason most of the bridges i found in this one world i generated had that weird square of wooden floors further down the road from the actual bridge. And it was always further down the road, from whichever side you approached it from.

I also found a bridges which had another, longer bridge on top of it. And of course there's the ones which try to change directions mid-stream and end up looking like M. C. Escher paintings.

I think Bloody Stupid Johnson designs all the human bridges...
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2010, 04:51:21 pm »

The castle won't let me spawn within a block of the fortress, so it's a long walk no matter where I go.

No, I mean go to the side of the fortress and stop there.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2010, 04:56:48 pm »

I found a town that appeared to be nothing but a bridge...

That's when a town gets destroyed in a war and the buildings decay into ruins
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2010, 05:23:45 pm »

I'm sure nearly all of us have experienced spawning in towns that are halfway or completely underwater. In 40d I found myself in a tavern that was suspended above the ocean on stilts. A lot of the townspeople were drowning...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2010, 06:27:02 pm »

The most notable one I remember wasn't really a fail, but a masterfully planned defense system, it would seem at least.

Goblin tower, 'bout .04 or so. My first in that version, honestly. Brought up a nice, bronze-clad human (dorfs were extinct, sadly) to the settlement... okay, this looks weird, long winding corridors with masterful engravings, let's go on... at the end of them, a huge river. And I mean the 20 square kind of huge river, with carp and other annoying schools' of fish in there. But damn, I killed the priest already, the site's hostile to me. Okay, what the hell. Pulling out a stack of bolts from my pack, I snipe the goblins upstream and let them float back to me, when...

You have been encased in ice.

Goddamn goblins.

Hurion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2010, 09:43:12 pm »

Found an entire castle made of pitchblende. It would have been awesome if everyone would have been puking and pulling clumps of loose hair from their heads.
Pages: 1 [2] 3