Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What wild animal do you think is the scariest?  (Read 3904 times)

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
Re: What wild animal do you think is the scariest?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 12:39:37 am »

Any and all zombified/skeletal aquatic life.

Think about it:
Urist is wandering along to the booze cave, grumbling about how it's plump helmet wine AGAIN, when he reaches for the door to the booze cave and hears a low hiss and some scraping noises. Dismissing this as sobriety hallucinations he continues onward and has some booze with his buddies and then goes back to work. As the day wears on, Urist can't shake the feeling that he can still hear the hissing and scraping from earlier, but carries on because the mayor REALLY needs that chert bauble made.

The night settles in and Urist goes to his little corner of the fort, tired from a good day's work, and still hears those noises on occasion, as he lays down, the noises stop and he settles off to sleep. Urist jolts awake in the middle of the night because he feels this dread like when one feels a booze crisis coming, something is laying on him in his bed and it doesn't feel like the kittens that he's seen in the fort. A hiss emanates from the mass and Urist brings himself to see what it is and...
ZOMBIE CARP

!:O!
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 12:45:18 am »

Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see

:D :D :D

Floating Guts sounds really disturbing. Maybe giant earthworms

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 05:01:01 am »

Since there aren't any bunnies in vanilla fortress mode, I'd have to settle for cats as the scariest wild animals. Or foxes.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 09:02:31 am »

Horses, without a doubt. They are ruthless slaughtering machines, and once they have developed a taste for blood, their thirst can only be slaked by the corpses of your helpless citizens.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 10:32:47 am »

Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see

I hope Toady gives giant earthwoms the ability to tunnel through stone in a future uodate. Then we can sink goblin sieges with a GIANT WORM!!!!
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 10:37:35 am »

It used to be carp for me, but after I tried embarking on an evil biome full of Harpies and Beak dogs, and my fort died in 20 minutes, I'd have to say those two so far :P
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 03:57:02 pm »

It used to be carp for me, but after I tried embarking on an evil biome full of Harpies and Beak dogs, and my fort died in 20 minutes, I'd have to say those two so far :P

I find Ogres to be worst than those two. At least they don't beat you to death with your own backpack  :(
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2010, 04:12:58 pm »

Zombie whales.

And yes, they can crawl on land. No, locking the doors will not save you. They will break down the doors. They don't feel pain or fear, they don't panic, they don't breath, they effortlessly move through your sewer systems, and they're also the size of a megabeast.

You can also encounter them the very first day of your embark with just 7 dwarves and a wagon.

Have fun!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2010, 04:14:42 pm »

Helmet snakes. Scary enough that I constantly try to weaponize them. Snake pits, snake bombs, venom-coated weapons in adventure mode (my forts always buy helmet snake and GCS venom), the works.

Currently I have a hundred of them (modded for massive group size) sitting in a 1x1 pit with a hatch for a floor right over my entrance. The hatch is linked to a pressure plate beneath it.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 04:17:29 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2010, 04:41:14 pm »

The deep ones, of the 40d tentacled kind.

Dying? Well, meh.
Kept as pleasure toy for centuries in a glowing pit for the enjoyment of sanity-rending abominations? Uh, err...
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2010, 06:53:16 pm »

Scary? .. that would be the giant desert scorpion.

Creepy crawler meets OH MY GOD RUN
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2010, 07:52:39 pm »

I hope Toady gives giant earthwoms the ability to tunnel through stone in a future uodate. Then we can sink goblin sieges with a GIANT WORM!!!!

Meh. No worm is better than good, dwarven picks.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2010, 10:18:03 pm »

Skeletal Alligator kinda freaks me out.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2010, 11:03:00 pm »

Well, if you ask my adventurer (who was a nine-foot-tall dragon-human hybrid with greatly pumped up stats), it's apparently lions, since he has been killed by them about seven times.

If you ask my current fortress' worth of dwarves, apparently it is crundles.  A small band of about seven of the little punks decided to come up my staircase and investigate the cage traps I'd set up while exploring into the caverns.  One fell into a trap, and I was annoyed by it so I told someone to throw it into the pit so I could watch it explode from the 13-z-level drop I had conveniently opened up off the staircase.

The crundly buddies decided that would be the perfect moment to come check out what was going on, in the process terrorizing the dwarf who'd come to throw the thing out, who ran away madly and led the rest of the little jerks back up into the craft hall so they could chase haulers around between workshops.

Somehow a dog ended up dead, a dwarf fell down the stairs and broke his head open at the bottom, and I completely lost my military somewhere in all the twisting caverns because they were chasing crundles up and down ledges all over the place.  Also, a giant olm wandered into a cage trap.  That was about when I lost it and just started laughing.

As far as critters which I find scary, well, I often have a hard time importing the critters into real life to imagine how I'd really react to them.  If I actually encountered a hoard of zombie trogs I would probably run around screaming until I passed out and got eaten.  But in the game they're just an annoyance.

And most of the crazier ones make me say "I want that" and put cage traps everywhere.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2010, 01:26:27 am »

My first adventurer happened to come across a bronze collosus (before I knew they were practically invulnerable). Those are scary to this day.

But I have to admit I'd be just a little bit more creeped out by fluffly wamplers. Sure, they're cute and cuddly and small and harmless, living only in good biomes... but then I heard this story once of a fluffy wambler knocking the head off a bronze collosus.

Sure, I wouldn't see one and run for my life, but I'd always be wary around them.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...
Pages: 1 [2] 3