Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Roll to Trope: Turn 7  (Read 9424 times)

Jay Kayell

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lazy Man
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Trope: Turn 5
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2010, 08:08:14 pm »

After a series of high rolls, it's roughly time for me to get a low roll, and thus I'll do nothing.
Yeah... about that...

Turn 5: GCS!

Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)

The group heads deeper into the dark forest, still a bit shook up after the attack from the vicious wildlife. Several times shadowy forms seem to move when they approach, but always they find nothing.

After a while Warhammer breaks the silence, "Are you sure this is the right way? I don't think this is the right way." He glances nervously over his shoulder, in time to see another shadowy form meld into the darkness, unsure if he actually saw something or if his mind is playing tricks on him.

Dermonster stops for a moment, "I think this is the right way, I usually don't wander the woods at night... But I'm pretty sure that this is the right way."

"Keep moving, we should not linger here," Frelock whispers sharply, and the two men silently do as they are told. The sergeant has also noticed the shadowy forms that seem to stalk them, and though he is quite the gentleman outside of combat he is also a trained soldier in the king's army, and his training and experience tell him that there is a real threat here. Without further knowledge of what manner of beast stalks them he cannot do more than tell his troops to be ready to fire.

Eventually they come to a small clearing at the foot of a small rocky hill, and though they are glad that the moon can provide more illumination here than under the trees Dermonster does not look happy. "We've veered to far to the east," he says, "the camp is that way. I got a bit lost in the dark."

"You're not a very good guide, are you boy?" Ironicus says, "If we wanted to get lost we could have hired the town drunk."

While the others are busy calling each other names yet again Warhammer tries to remain vigilant, not forgetting the shadowy forms that stalked them. He notices that there is a cave in the hill, but there is nothing noteworthy about it so he decides to ignore it for now and keep an eye out towards the treeline instead. Then he hears chattering behind him, and the image of that damn squirrel landing on his head comes to mind. In a single motion he draws his sword and stabs it through the source of the noise, but the animal stuck on the end of his sword is not a squirrel. It is a spider, roughly the size of a cat, and it lets out a shrill shriek before dying.

"Guys! Shut up and look at this!" he yells, and everyone turns to see what he is talking about.

"Woah, that's a big spider!" Dermonster exclaims, obviously not having encountered anything like this before.

"Your ability to state the obvious is almost as impressive as your ability to get us lost," Ironicus scoffs, "what we should do is find out where it came from, and if there are more of them."

Frelock gives Ironicus a cold glare, "I dislike agreeing with this ruffian, but that is a sound course of action. If there is a nest of these fiends we should try to avoid it."

"Sergeant! Look!" one of the soldiers shouts, pointing at the hillside cave. A dozen dark shapes are crawling out of it, heading out to investigate all the noise.

"Hide! They may not have seen us yet," Frelock whispers, hoping that spiders have poor eyesight.

But any attempt to hide is rendered moot by a blinding flash of white light, for a few moments turning the gloom of the clearing into brightest day. The source of the light is Brother Torir, his prayers to Pideus were so pure and honest that he overflowed with magical energies. Even after the initial surge of energy passes his staff glows brightly in the dark night, turning him into a beacon for the enemy to home in on. But it also grants him a greater amount of magical energy to channel than usual, which will certainly come in handy now that they have to confront these beasts.

Seeing any hope of hiding shattered Frelock decides that there is now only one way out; "To arms, lads! Send these fiends back into the dark abyss that spawned them!"

They ready themselves for the onslaught when another shape appears out of the cave. Lumbering out comes a massive spider, the size of a horse. And as soon as it spots the group it charges straight at them along with its smaller kin, their chattering turning into a cacophony of madness at the smell of fresh meat.

Environment: The sky is clear. The moon is high in the sky.

Locations:
Spoiler: Blackwood Forest (click to show/hide)

Vehicles:
Spoiler: The Bushwacker (click to show/hide)

NPCs:
Friendly
Quote from: King's Soldiers
Race: Human
Numbers: 6
State: Ready. Holy Shield Spell: +1 to resist black magic.
Equipment:Musket, sabre, Army Uniform

Enemy
Quote from: Giant Cave Spider
Name: None
Race: Arachnid
Health: Excellent
State: Standing
Equipment: None
Spoiler: Inventory: (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Abilities: (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Cave Spiders
Race: Arachnid
Numbers: 12
State: Healthy
Equipment: None

Player Statuses:

Quote from: dermonster
Name: Unus Dermonster
State: Standing. Holy Shield Spell: +1 to resist black magic.
Equipment: Magical Sword (right hand); Clothes
Quote from: Frelock
Name: Sergeant Frelock
Equipment: Flintlock Pistol (left hand); Sabre (right hand); Army Uniform
Quote from: Warhammer 651
Name: John 'Warhammer' Jones
Equipment: Cutlass (right hand); Leather Coat
Quote from: Nirur Torir
Name: Brother Torir
State: Standing. Holy Shield Spell: +1 to resist black magic. Empowered: +1 to white magic.
Equipment:Magical Staff (right hand); White Robes
Quote from: IronyOwl
Name: Ironicus Owl
Equipment:Magical Scythe (right hand); Black armor
Decapitation - enjoy the difference

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2010, 08:23:36 pm »

I'm impressed by our ability to all roll poorly together.

Laugh grimly and charge the big spider.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2010, 09:54:27 pm »

Except the guy who did nothing. And got a six.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2010, 10:18:20 pm »

On the plus side, I'm now quite unlikely to kill anyone with a heal. This is a significant accomplishment for me.

I'll lower my initiative for the round, and cast a healing spell at the first of my companions to get wounded.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 02:18:25 pm by Nirur Torir »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2010, 10:38:11 pm »

Attempt to lower the numbers of the smaller spiders.

Via stabbings.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2010, 12:52:36 am »

Sargent Frelock unsheathes his sabre, holds it aloft, and shouts, Troops, ready muskets!  Take Aim!  Fire!

Command my troops to fire, draw my pistol and fire along with them.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2010, 06:59:45 am »

Anyone bring any flames/fire based weaponry?

Stabbing Time! Assist Owl and Dermonster and search for any obvious weak points in the big one.

"...Spiders. Why did it have to be spiders?"

Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2010, 01:08:07 pm »

On the plus side, I'm now quite unlikely to kill anyone with a heal. This is a significant accomplishment for me.

I'll lower my initiative for the round, and cast a healing spell at the first of my companions to get wounded.
I'm not sure how much advice I'm allowed to give, but you might want to reconsider this.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2010, 02:18:16 pm »

I'll wait until one of my companions gets wounded, and then cast a healing spell at them.

Better?

I'll wait a bit. If somebody gets bit by the GCS, I heal them immediately afterwords. Otherwise, I'll heal whoever looks like they're getting hurt the most.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 02:37:51 pm by Nirur Torir »

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2010, 02:21:39 pm »

Well, if two get wounded, the first with a needle to the foot, the second with a bunch of GCS venom...

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2010, 02:36:50 pm »

Well, if two get wounded, the first with a needle to the foot, the second with a bunch of GCS venom...
... Then I'll hope that the second one is IronyOwl's evil character?  :P
I see your point though. I barely skimmed the statuses the first time, and missed seeing the GCS.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2010, 03:35:17 pm »

Then I'll hope that the second one is IronyOwl's evil character?  :P
I approve of this plan
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Jay Kayell

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lazy Man
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Trope Turn 6
« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2010, 08:42:55 pm »

Turn 6: Spider Salsa

Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)

While the others prepare to defend themselves Ironicus charges, operating under the premise that the only defense is a crushing offense. As he charges he laughs madly, savoring the bloodshed to come, even killing these pitiful creatures will provide him with great satisfaction, and should shut up that damn voice in the back of his mind that has been urging him to kill everything for the past few days.

With a great leap he flies at the largest spider, readying his scythe and letting forth a fierce war cry. But the large beast is much more agile than its size would lead one to believe, and it manages to pounce on him in mid-air. He loses hold of his weapon and is pinned to the ground by the massive arachnid, but as the beast tries to bite him in the neck to inject its poison he manages to get loose and roll aside.

The spider rears up, readying to spray him with webbing to ensure that he cannot get out of the way next time, and it seems that all hope is lost for him. But then a thunderous voice sounds out across the battlefield, "Fire!"

The sergeant and his soldiers let go a volley of hot lead to strike down the large beast, striking it with overwhelming force. It shrieks with pain as several bullets strike it, but they seem to have little effect on the massive beast until the sergeant himself fires a shot straight at its head. One of its numerous eyes explode as the bullet slams through it. For a moment it balances as it stood, and then it simply topples over, dead.

That their leader died does not seem to faze the smaller spiders in the slightest, if anything it seems to drive them even madder. Warhammer is overwhelmed by several of the things, getting knocked over and swarmed, suffering several bites and scratches. The poison now flowing through his veins burns like fire, a pain greater than any he has felt before.

Brother Torir notices Warhammer's predicament and comes to his aid, sending forth a blast of holy light to heal him and drive out the poison. The spiders, used to the darkness of night and the underground, withdraw from the piercing light that blind them.

Warhammer might thank Torir, but he is too busy trying to stop vomiting like a vomit volcano. Torir used a spell that wasn't specific enough, and it also tried to drive out the many pints of beer that Warhammer had drunk at the tavern, the logic of magic dictating that alcohol was also a form of poison. Still, given the choice of vomiting like a drunkard on a Friday night or dying of poisoning he would most likely choose the former.

Meanwhile Dermonster is fighting like a man possessed, attacking the spiders with great ferocity. But the spiders are fast and agile, and they seem hesitant to attack him, as if they can sense that he is something great and dangerous. Even with all his efforts he only manages to kill a single one, nearly bisecting it with a powerful swing of his blade.

The soldiers kept firing after the large spider was felled, trying to slay the smaller ones swarming at them. But even trained soldiers like they could not reload fast enough to fend off the swarm descending upon them. They didn't seem at all concerned about this, simply drawing their swords and charging the spiders, screaming with inhuman rage as they fell upon the beasts. All caution had been thrown to the wind, their sergeant had commanded that they slay these creatures and they were determined to see the task through or die trying.

The spiders were taken entirely by surprise, their dull minds not being able to comprehend how these fleshy beings, prey, could fight back with such ferocious determination. Most of them turned and tried to run, most of them were cut down without mercy by the soldiers who stabbed and slashed, punched and kicked until there was only one scared little spider left, trying to run back to its cave to hide.

But before the spider could reach the safety of its cave it encountered a very angry man, a very angry man dressed in black armor and wielding a vicious scythe. And with his scythe he took out all of his frustration and rage on the last spider until there was noting left of it other than a wet stain on the ground. This did little to sate the thirst of the blade that he wielded, and the voice in his head immediately continued suggesting that he murder the others.

"We should probably move out, there may be more of these things lurking in that cave," Dermonster said as the scattered group gathered again.

Environment: The forest clearing is littered with spider corpses.

Locations:
Spoiler: Blackwood Forest (click to show/hide)

Vehicles:
Spoiler: The Bushwacker (click to show/hide)

NPCs:
Friendly
Quote from: King's Soldiers
Numbers: 6
State: Ready. Holy Shield Spell: +1 to resist black magic.
Equipment:Musket, sabre, Army Uniform

Enemy
None

Player Statuses:

Quote from: dermonster
Name: Unus Dermonster
Equipment: Magical Sword (right hand); Clothes
Quote from: Frelock
Name: Sergeant Frelock
Equipment: Flintlock Pistol (left hand); Sabre (right hand); Army Uniform
Quote from: Warhammer 651
Name: John 'Warhammer' Jones
Health: Excellent. Mild nausea.
Equipment: Cutlass (right hand); Leather Coat
Quote from: Nirur Torir
Name: Brother Torir
State: Standing. Holy Shield Spell: +1 to resist black magic. Empowered: +1 to white magic.
Equipment:Magical Staff (right hand); White Robes
Quote from: IronyOwl
Name: Ironicus Owl
Health: Bruised.
Equipment:Magical Scythe (right hand); Black armor
Decapitation - enjoy the difference

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Trope: Turn 6
« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2010, 08:51:02 pm »

Erm, Before we move out, giant spider venom is usually a great commodity and a somewhat valuable spell component, from what I've heard. I have no interest in such things, beside the obvious of coating my blade with it. If you want to harvest some, now's the time.

Try to coat my sword with spider venom, then attempt to find the trail again, once everyone finishes recovering.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 10:20:50 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Trope: Turn 6
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2010, 10:08:00 pm »

Well, everyone succeeding in unison for once is rather refreshing.

OR SO I WOULD IMAGINE. At least I dodge better than Warhammer.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7