Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Roll to Trope: Turn 7  (Read 9422 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Trope: Turn 2
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2010, 11:27:19 pm »

Irked, apologize to Frelock for commenting on his group before seeing them in action. In a somewhat grudging tone.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

quip

• Bay Watcher
  • ???
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Trope: Turn 2
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2010, 04:04:33 pm »

This thread has just had a new post in it, hopefully that'll BUMP it back into life!
Hell hath no fury like an angry vampire pimp.

Jay Kayell

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lazy Man
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Trope: Turn 3
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2010, 07:03:24 pm »

Turn 3: Into the night

Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)

The noise of the tavern quiets down, everyone turning their attention towards the small group to see if a fight might erupt. People close to them quietly slink further away to get out of the way, and people in the back try to inch closer to listen in. For several seconds there is silence as the two sides size each other up.

Young Dermonster breaks the silence, leaning over towards the sergeant and speaking quietly, "I don't like the look of this guy, I'm not sure we should bring him along, even if he might be useful."

But despite his attempts at secrecy the stranger overheard him, and does not look pleased. "Be quiet, boy, your betters are speaking," he sneers angrily, casting a cold glare at the young man. Then he turns back to the sergeant, "Are you leading this band of weaklings out to kill things, or not?"

Sergeant Frelock has a look of quiet anger on his face, the only kind of anger that befits a gentleman. "Well now...I never... For your information, my good sir, we are going to investigate in order to sooth the minds of the populace. We are not simply going out to 'kill things' as you suggest. These other chaps I'm happy to have accompany us, as they all appear to be, if not gentlemen," he says with a quick glance in Warhammer's direction, "at least useful and willing to help. If you wish to investigate the woods on your own, you are welcome to do so, but you'll have no help from me. I'll have no ruffians aboard this crew, and certainly no insulting thugs. Good day sir."

Then he turns his back to the man without another word, having tired of speaking with this ill-mannered stranger. The man seems surprised by this, not used to being ignored, and it takes him a few seconds to regain his composure.

"Perhaps," he says through gritted teeth, "I was too harsh in my words. You seem rather... competent, and I have yet to see anything to suggest otherwise." He pauses for a second, and winces visibly when continuing, "I apologize if I offended you." It is quite obvious to anyone with a pair of ears that the apology is not sincere.

Despite the insincere apology the sergeant turns back to the man, "Very well, you may join us. But I won't accept any thuggish behaviour from you. Understood?"

"Yes," the man answers, looking quite like he wants to smash the sergeant over the head with a large blunt object.

Brother Torir has been quietly staring at the man for the entire conversation, frowning very intently and without making a sound.

While the others called each other names Warhammer decided to do something useful. He momentarily considered trying to sober up a bit, but ultimately decided that he wasn't drunk enough to want to be sober. Instead he called the tavernkeeper over, intending to find out more about these creatures they were to hunt.

"Oy, you, tavernkeeper. These creatures in the woods, what are they capable of?"

The tavernkeeper scratched his head, "I don't know, I suppose they would be able to kill people."

"Right, that's obvious. What else, what do the rumors tell of them?"

"Well, it is said that they stalk the night, attacking anyone out in the woods and killing them."

"So, they kill people, that's all you know."

"Yes."

Warhammer just sighed and turned back to the group, quite disappointed with the uselessness of the man.

Now that all the people in the vicinity who wanted to help had been recruited Frelock decided that they should head out. "Right lads, we march then. Follow me!" he called out, and marched out of the tavern.

The night was chilly, a cold wind blowing in from the east. In the alleyways and smaller streets the shadows lay thick and heavy, the lampposts unable to illuminate them, but if there were anyone hiding there they did not trouble the group. Within a few minutes of walking the group found themselves standing on the outskirts of Dullhaven.

A mile or so to the west the air harbor lay, still illuminated by torchlight even at this late hour. To the south there were a few scattered farmhouses, small dots of light in the night. And beyond them the dark forest loomed, barely visible in the dim light cast by the crescent moon.

Now they just had to decide which way to go.

Environment: It is cold outside, a wind blowing from the east. The crescent moon is still high in the sky.

Locations:
Spoiler: Dullhaven (click to show/hide)

Vehicles:
Spoiler: The Bushwacker (click to show/hide)

NPCs:
Quote from: King's Soldiers
Race: Human
Numbers: 6
State: Ready
Equipment:Musket, sabre, Army Uniform

Player Statuses:

Quote from: dermonster
Name: Unus Dermonster
Health: Excellent
State: Standing
Equipment: Magical Sword (right hand); Clothes
Spoiler: Inventory: (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Abilities: (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Frelock
Name: Sergeant Frelock
Equipment: Flintlock Pistol (left hand); Sabre (right hand); Army Uniform
Quote from: Warhammer 651
Name: John 'Warhammer' Jones
Equipment: Cutlass (right hand); Leather Coat
Quote from: Nirur Torir
Name: Brother Torir
Equipment:Magical Staff (right hand); White Robes
Quote from: IronyOwl
Name: Ironicus Owl
Equipment:Magical Scythe (right hand); Black armor
Decapitation - enjoy the difference

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2010, 07:10:36 pm »

Well, the night creatures generally would reside in the deep parts of the forest, so I suppose that's where they will be. The mist seems unusually thick tonight though.

Attempt to lead the troupe through the Dense Forest.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2010, 07:13:10 pm »

Follow the sheep group.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2010, 07:12:28 am »

follow everyone  whilst making sure we don't have any surprises from above
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2010, 07:47:10 am »

I cast a blessing against evil on the group.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2010, 03:42:25 pm »

Follow derm to the forest, stopping by a farmhouse along the way to politely ask for information; preferably keeping my men and the others out of sight so as not to frighten the locals.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Jay Kayell

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lazy Man
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Trope: Turn 4
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2010, 07:21:58 pm »

Turn 4: Squirelly little bastard

Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)

The group headed for the forest, keeping to a seldom-used dirt road that cut through the fields. Soon they passed by a farmhouse, and Frelock asked the others to wait by the road while he asked the farmers if they could provide any further information. There were a few grumbles among the group about it being a waste of time, but they stayed where they were while the sergeant went to speak with the folks who lived there.

He knocked on the door twice, and waited for a reply from within.

Someone moved about inside, and then the door opened slightly to reveal a rugged face. "Yes, what is it?" the farmer asked grumpily, annoyed to have been interrupted in the middle of his dinner.

"I apologize for interrupting your meal, sir, but I am leading a small band into the woods to investigate the rumors of monsters, and I wanted to ask if you knew anything that might help us."

The farmer grunts, "No, now go away," and then slams the door shut and locks it. Frelock returns to the group without any useful information, and someone exclaims that he knew that the peasants here would be useless and that he should have been listened to in the first place.

While they walked towards the forest's edge Brother Torir decided to make use of the time and started to chant, a light white glow emanating from the head of his staff as he did so. After a few seconds he stopped chanting and struck the end of his staff into the ground, sending out a white flash that engulfed the group. A few of them were a little bit startled, so he explained that he had simply cast a holy shield on them to shield them from evil, which calmed them. Though one voice complained that it made his skin itch.

Then they stood at the brink of the dark forest, the dirt road ending where the trees began. They would be forced to take the much smaller paths trampled by animals. They lingered there for a few moments, the dark forest seeming to emanate malice in the dark night, and the impenetrable darkness under the trees feeding dark fears of being watched by forces unseen. But then young Dermonster steeled himself and entered between the massive trunks, and the others followed without a word.

It did not take long for the group to encounter resistance however, a large patch of thorny bushes that blocked their immediate path. With an exasperated sigh Dermonster pulled his sword and started to carve a path through the bushes, which would certainly be faster than trying to navigate around them in the dark.

"Not a very good guide, are you boy?" Ironicus mocked, "Unless these bushes sprung from the ground yesterday one would think you'd know they were..," but he was interrupted when his foot hit a root and he stumbled. The ground was too soft for him to injure his body by falling so, but his ego suffered a small blow. He remained quiet after getting up and dusting himself off.

Warhammer had kept an eye out for trouble, not liking the feel of this place, his gut told him something was wrong and he had often survived thanks to his gut feelings. A slight snap in the branches above him, barely audible, caught his attention, and he whispered to the others, "Hold up, I think there's something in the trees."

Everyone drew their weapons, staying still and silent, waiting to see if anything would appear. A louder snap was followed by a shadow falling down on Warhammer's head, a fierce shriek emanating from the thing. "Get off me!" he shouted and frantically tried to get rid of the little thing that was clawing at his head. After a few seconds he got a grip on it, discovering that it was just a squirrel and tossing it aside. "Fuckin' rodents..." he mumbled as he put his sword away.

While Dermonster hacked away at the bushes Torir got rid of the few scratches Warhammer had sustained in the attack. Soon they were past the last of the bushes, and Dermonster stopped the group.

"The loggers' camp should be about two miles in that direction," he points deeper into the woods, "that's where we're headed, right?".

Environment: There is little light beneath the trees. The forest floor is covered with leaves and other natural detritus.

Locations:
Spoiler: Blackwood Forest (click to show/hide)

Vehicles:
Spoiler: The Bushwacker (click to show/hide)

NPCs:
Quote from: King's Soldiers
Numbers: 6
State: Ready. Holy Shield Spell: +1 to resist black magic.
Equipment:Musket, sabre, Army Uniform

Player Statuses:

Quote from: dermonster
Name: Unus Dermonster
State: Standing. Holy Shield Spell: +1 to resist black magic.
Equipment: Magical Sword (right hand); Clothes
Quote from: Frelock
Name: Sergeant Frelock
Equipment: Flintlock Pistol (left hand); Sabre (right hand); Army Uniform
Quote from: Warhammer 651
Name: John 'Warhammer' Jones
Equipment: Cutlass (right hand); Leather Coat
Quote from: Nirur Torir
Name: Brother Torir
Equipment:Magical Staff (right hand); White Robes
Quote from: IronyOwl
Name: Ironicus Owl
Equipment:Magical Scythe (right hand); Black armor
Decapitation - enjoy the difference

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2010, 07:43:41 pm »

Keep an eye out once more, try to avoid the Squirrels this time. Follow the Group
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 07:38:05 am by warhammer651 »
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2010, 08:14:15 pm »

He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2010, 01:06:51 am »

Continue to go deeper, commanding my troops to fire should we come across any fiends
All generalizations are false....including this one.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2010, 01:59:49 am »

Head to loggers' camp.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2010, 07:47:43 am »

Lead them to the loggers camp I guess.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2010, 11:13:14 am »

I follow along, doing nothing noteworthy by silently worshiping my deity.

After a series of high rolls, it's roughly time for me to get a low roll, and thus I'll do nothing. (Because the universe works that way, and not, say, by actually giving random odds to dice.)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7