Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aquifers  (Read 509 times)

kawaiidesunekochan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Aquifers
« on: November 23, 2010, 06:03:41 pm »

So, it's my first time on an aquifer map. I settled there because two goblin civilizations lived nearby, and I love goblins. Anyways, I can't find stone. I can't find a way to dig below the aquifer. Any tips, or will I have to wait for the caravans to get stone?

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
Re: Aquifers
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 06:06:25 pm »

It is possible to breach the Aquifier, and there's lots of stone underneath it (Generally there's quite a few nice things down there ores etc.).
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

kawaiidesunekochan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 06:07:51 pm »

It is possible to breach the Aquifier, and there's lots of stone underneath it (Generally there's quite a few nice things down there ores etc.).
ooo, how?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 06:37:36 pm »

The wiki's page on Aquifers gives examples of methods to get through them.

Generally, the cave-in method described is the easiest, though still dangerous and is dependent on terrain. The pump method is most reliable and most widely-available, able to be pulled off anywhere, but is very difficult to engineer. The other methods are highly dependent on luck and your particular embark's surface resources.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 07:27:25 pm »

Personally I'm a fan of the ice method, although it does have a tendency to claim one miner for every layer of the aquifier. Unfortunately, it's one of the only ways of breaching a tundra aquifer.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."