Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: SanDiego's realistic tissue rebalance  (Read 26272 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SanDiego's realistic tissue rebalance
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2010, 04:10:31 pm »

and that makes you believe that if you were to be stabbed in the gut or something there would be NO response of pain and major discomfort from the organs? if thats the case why do kidney stones and things like that hurt?

Not to mention if you cut the skin deep enough the sensory nerves are cut and your skin feels no pain in the worst parts of an injury...which in theory would mean that some of the most severe cuts or stab wounds wouldn't hurt all that bad...I dont think thats how it works
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 09:28:35 pm by dennislp3 »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2010, 04:13:48 pm »

You might want to increase the vascularization of bone, as it is, in fact, quite irrigated.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2010, 07:49:01 pm »

You might want to increase the vascularization of bone, as it is, in fact, quite irrigated.
I second that; would help in making blunt weapons deadlier, enemies would bleed out sooner from 6 broken major bones.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2010, 07:58:10 am »

I'm pretty sure organs shouldn't cause pain. There are no pain receptors or very few in almost all organs of the body so to add pain increases to them doesn't make any sense.
Internal organs do have receptors of pain. Otherwise it won't hurt when you are hurt and animals that do not feel pain tend to disappear over the course of evolution. In medicine, there are several kinds of pain and it's true that pain from organs is different from pain from cut skin, but they definitely feel pain.
I'm thinking of it, but even though major bones have up to three arteries (aa. nutriciae) they are really small - even fingers have larger arteries. Most blood from complex fractures is when shards of bones tear other tissues and vessels (fracture of femur can cut femoral artery which can effectively kill you under three minutes).
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2010, 08:57:30 am »

There's the periostium too. And I wouldn't disregard the nutrition of larger bones (in particular hip and femurs, which house the bone marrow) All in all, from either cause, fracture-linked hemorrages are not to be disregarded, I think.
You likely have seen this image (or a simmilar one) in the past.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2010, 09:03:21 am »

The pain receptors your thinking of aren't ones for physical damage, they are chemical and strain receptors. Ever got a stomach ache? Your stomach hasn't been physically hurt, it's just the chemical receptors translating bad levels of ceertain chemicals in the stomach as pain. Strain receptors are in muscles and measure how much strain they are generating. 

Edit: Hehehe nevermind, strain receptors also feel stretch and they are also in many organs(brain and pancreas exempted).

I think the type of internal/organ pain people are searching for is called sympathetic pain.  The internal organs have sympathetic and parasympathetic connections to the brain as part of the autonomous nervous system (for organ control).  Their "quality" of pain tends to be more generalised in location and duration when compared to nociceptor pain.  It also leads to the phenomenon of referred pain, where the pain manifests in seemingly unrelated other parts of the body.

I'm pretty sure this hasn't been included in the game body models, so adding pain nerves to the organs seems like a reasonable thing to do if you want to simulate that pain.  My adventurers feel so much pain already, I doubt they will grumble at a bit more.

Good job on the tweaks OP, I'd like to see this make its way into the game if it works out well.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2010, 11:54:21 am »

No, the autonomous nervous system isn't related to pain sensitivity (although it can respond to it, of course). Visceral pain feels different from somatic, but it's still nociceptor-driven.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2010, 12:50:28 pm »

The pain receptors your thinking of aren't ones for physical damage, they are chemical and strain receptors. Ever got a stomach ache? Your stomach hasn't been physically hurt, it's just the chemical receptors translating bad levels of ceertain chemicals in the stomach as pain. Strain receptors are in muscles and measure how much strain they are generating. 

Edit: Hehehe nevermind, strain receptors also feel stretch and they are also in many organs(brain and pancreas exempted).

I think the type of internal/organ pain people are searching for is called sympathetic pain.  The internal organs have sympathetic and parasympathetic connections to the brain as part of the autonomous nervous system (for organ control).  Their "quality" of pain tends to be more generalised in location and duration when compared to nociceptor pain.  It also leads to the phenomenon of referred pain, where the pain manifests in seemingly unrelated other parts of the body.

I'm pretty sure this hasn't been included in the game body models, so adding pain nerves to the organs seems like a reasonable thing to do if you want to simulate that pain.  My adventurers feel so much pain already, I doubt they will grumble at a bit more.

Good job on the tweaks OP, I'd like to see this make its way into the game if it works out well.

The link I provided on my post covered that...forgot to mention it I guess

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2010, 07:35:56 am »

Released version 0.5; changes below
Small increase in bone vascularisation, increased relative thickness of chitin (it had the same relative thickness as skin which strikes me as odd).
I feel like I'm getting pretty close to what I intended when starting this, so I do not expect many dramatic changes to final version.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2010, 04:29:36 pm »

Tolkien's dwarves were noble warriors and all this crap but DF dwarves are angry little alcoholics with anger issues.

I hope when you're done with upgrading their physical properties that you spend some time working on their numerous psychological pathologies.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2010, 05:06:02 pm »

Tolkien's dwarves were noble warriors and all this crap but DF dwarves are angry little alcoholics with anger issues.

I hope when you're done with upgrading their physical properties that you spend some time working on their numerous psychological pathologies.

Damnit Cardinal, he's a doctor not a psychologist!

(I've been waiting the whole thread to say that.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2010, 12:58:24 am »

lol

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2010, 12:59:51 am »

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but if not, you might want to check into, say, this: http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2676
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2010, 07:07:19 am »

Thanks for link, I already replied in the thread below issue.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2010, 08:00:25 pm »

Oh, I hadn't noticed. I just responded in kind.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10