Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: SanDiego's realistic tissue rebalance  (Read 26237 times)

ghosteh

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Charles Bronson
    • View Profile
Re: SanDiego's realistic tissue rebalance
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2010, 09:55:09 am »

Im not sure adding pain to the brain is needed, any brain injury I have ever received in fort or adventure mode has always resulted in immediate death
I've killed enough humans to know their patterns.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2010, 11:36:50 am »

Well, I experienced wounds where brain was damaged and target still lived (albeit shortly). It's a rare occurrence, but now it shouldn't happen at all.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2010, 11:49:10 am »

Well, I experienced wounds where brain was damaged and target still lived (albeit shortly). It's a rare occurrence, but now it shouldn't happen at all.
wait, brains aren't sensitive to pain, not unless the odd page on neuroscience I read was wrong....
besides, there is no reason why the brain should feel pain in the same way as the rest of the body, being completely enclosed in something certainly makes it less necessary... Am I correct, or am I wrong?

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2010, 12:34:27 pm »

Yes, brain itself has no pain receptors, but in the opening spoiler I wrote that I added pain to represent hurting meninges. But it has no pain receptors simply because there is no place for them as it's already crammed with more important structures.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2010, 01:00:58 pm »

Would it be appropriate to give nerves a (low) healing rate?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroregeneration#Peripheral_nervous_system_regeneration

This is a great project for sure.

I'm curious if everyone thinks this should be applied to dwarves, though?  They're supposed to be pretty tough creatures.  I don't know exactly what mythology Toady takes his inspiration from.  Personally, I was raised on Tolkien (read The Hobbit in 1st grade) and those dwarves are supposed to be like mountain stone made flesh.  They're earth spirits in a sense.  Their downside is they're not very numerous, don't make many allies, and tend to get themselves in trouble.

Applying these remade tissues would make sense for a lot of other creatures, though.
That would require more specific modding - creating specific tissues for dwarves and special body plan for dwarves and messing with dwarven raws. But DF dwarves do not seem exactly Tolkien-esque; Tolkien's dwarves were noble warriors and all this crap but DF dwarves are angry little alcoholics with anger issues.
You shouldn't have to create specific tissue. When you call up the tissue in the creature's raw entry, you can edit the tokens to change the vascularity and pain receptors for that tissue for that specific creature, or even for that specific caste if you want.

It would be more straightforward to just give the dwarves better attributes, like the vanilla raws already do.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 02:14:18 pm by Footkerchief »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2010, 03:05:35 pm »

I already modify nerves to have a healing rate of 5000.  I've never actually seen this take effect, but someday the dramatic effect from some crippled hero taking up his weapon again after being bed-ridden for years will be awesome.  Realistic or not, it just seems like a way to make the game more fun.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2010, 03:22:01 pm »

I already modify nerves to have a healing rate of 5000.  I've never actually seen this take effect, but someday the dramatic effect from some crippled hero taking up his weapon again after being bed-ridden for years will be awesome.  Realistic or not, it just seems like a way to make the game more fun.

Yeah, upon inspection, the nerve tissue is only used for the spine.  The HAS_NERVES tag (which adds peripheral nerves) doesn't use any real tissues.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2010, 04:28:16 pm »

Yeah, I also noticed this, which is kinda weird, but raws state that ligaments and tendons (and I suppose nerves too) work in quite abstract way right now. I'm not exactly sure if I tampered with healing rates of nervous tissues, but I think if I was to make it realistic (i.e. deleting regeneration) it could be... interesting.

Teamwork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2010, 05:58:02 pm »

I'm pretty sure organs shouldn't cause pain. There are no pain receptors or very few in almost all organs of the body so to add pain increases to them doesn't make any sense.
Urist McUseless: Stop right there, criminal scum! Nobody defies mandates on MY watch!
Urist McInnocent: Bite me!

*CENSORED DUE TO EXTREMELY GRATUITOUS VIOLENCE*

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2010, 10:35:36 pm »

I'm pretty sure organs shouldn't cause pain. There are no pain receptors or very few in almost all organs of the body so to add pain increases to them doesn't make any sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nociceptor

In mammals, nociceptors are sensory neurons that are found in any area of the body that can sense pain either externally or internally. External examples are in tissues such as skin (cutaneous nociceptors), cornea and mucosa. Internal nociceptors are in a variety of organs, such as the muscle, joint, bladder, gut and continuing along the digestive tract. The cell bodies of these neurons are located in either the dorsal root ganglia or the trigeminal ganglia.[2] The trigeminal ganglia are specialized nerves for the face, whereas the dorsal root ganglia associate with the rest of the body. The axons extend into the peripheral nervous system and terminate in branches to form receptive fields.

Terminology

Due to historical understandings of pain, nociceptors are also called pain receptors. This usage is not consistent with the modern definition of pain as a subjective experience.

Organs feel pain or discomfort based on many situations just like the skin...I am sure its all a little different but at the same time...not far off...especially since DF only registers pain as a blanket term
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 10:39:53 pm by dennislp3 »

Teamwork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2010, 01:06:19 am »

In mammals, nociceptors are sensory neurons that are found in any area of the body that can sense pain either externally or internally. External examples are in tissues such as skin (cutaneous nociceptors), cornea and mucosa. Internal nociceptors are in a variety of organs, such as the muscle, joint, bladder, gut and continuing along the digestive tract. The cell bodies of these neurons are located in either the dorsal root ganglia or the trigeminal ganglia.[2] The trigeminal ganglia are specialized nerves for the face, whereas the dorsal root ganglia associate with the rest of the body. The axons extend into the peripheral nervous system and terminate in branches to form receptive fields.

Terminology

Due to historical understandings of pain, nociceptors are also called pain receptors. This usage is not consistent with the modern definition of pain as a subjective experience.

Organs feel pain or discomfort based on many situations just like the skin...I am sure its all a little different but at the same time...not far off...especially since DF only registers pain as a blanket term

If you read down a bit you would realize that their not the receptors your thinking of.
Urist McUseless: Stop right there, criminal scum! Nobody defies mandates on MY watch!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2010, 02:09:18 am »

There are no pain receptors or very few in almost all organs of the body

Just cite this, please.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2010, 03:03:20 am »

Pain in DF is only used for causing fainting spells, right? "gives into pain". I think it does not even give unhappy thoughts.
IMO, the brain must have pain sensing enabled so bruising the brain would cause unconsciousness. And not game birds flying around with copper bolts sticking out from their brains.

One can try as blunt-weapon adventurer to smash wildlife and see how much damage makes them faint from pain. My recall is one mace-hit to tail's bone or ankle bones can cause a leopard to faint.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 03:06:46 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2010, 04:46:10 am »

Terminology

If you read down a bit you would realize that their not the receptors your thinking of.

I was merely pointing out that organs are subject to pain...you made the blanket statement that they aren't....what I cited clearly states that they are

Teamwork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2010, 04:02:58 pm »

The pain receptors your thinking of aren't ones for physical damage, they are chemical and strain receptors. Ever got a stomach ache? Your stomach hasn't been physically hurt, it's just the chemical receptors translating bad levels of ceertain chemicals in the stomach as pain. Strain receptors are in muscles and measure how much strain they are generating. 

Edit: Hehehe nevermind, strain receptors also feel stretch and they are also in many organs(brain and pancreas exempted).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 04:09:09 pm by Teamwork »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10