Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: SanDiego's realistic tissue rebalance  (Read 26244 times)

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SanDiego's realistic tissue rebalance
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 07:48:48 am »

Well hey, this looks really cool. I'll give it a whiz later. And yea, i'd show this to Toady alright. He might be busy but changing raws is a matter of copy and paste, heh.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 08:17:15 am »

Incidentally, do tendons and motor nerves snap as easily in real life as they do in DF? I can't remember the last adventurer I had who didn't lose the ability to grasp, or stand eventually.

Wavecutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 11:48:14 am »

Awesome work. Keep it up!
We farm and kill mermaid children. Its too late to worry about political correctness.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 11:51:00 am »

Incidentally, do tendons and motor nerves snap as easily in real life as they do in DF? I can't remember the last adventurer I had who didn't lose the ability to grasp, or stand eventually.
Well, tendons are pretty strong, but it's not unusual to see torn tendons from bad work-out. Nerves, IRL are almost never torn - wound that would cut major motor nerves  would be pretty severe as they are (usually) deep in the extremity (there are exceptions; ischiadic nerve runs between muscles from knee flexor group, but cutting it in half would also cause such large injury you would collapse nonetheless). What they do, however, is hurt. A lot. Nerves are extremely sensitive and pain caused by injuring nerve is terrible. Nerves also can get jammed under different movable parts of body (most often happen in spinal nerves, but can happen around joints too). A jammed nerve is terrible. I once jammed a nerve while walking on bus - it was like I was stabbed in back and for a while I couldn't even breathe. But from what I understand, nerves, tendons and ligaments in DF work in the way of "being there", and I guess that creating a realistic system of peripherial nerves with today's mechanics would be either impossible or extremely complicated.
Awesome work. Keep it up!
Thanks!
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Wavecutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 12:03:57 pm »

Your Welcome! BTW, do you think that the brain in DF ought to be more vascular?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 12:08:56 pm by Wavecutter »
We farm and kill mermaid children. Its too late to worry about political correctness.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 12:35:32 pm »

It's already been made more vascular and has arteries added in my little tweak.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 07:40:32 pm »

More accurate modding like this is precisely what DF needs more of. Thanks, and keep it up!
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2010, 07:54:04 pm »

This is a great project for sure.

I'm curious if everyone thinks this should be applied to dwarves, though?  They're supposed to be pretty tough creatures.  I don't know exactly what mythology Toady takes his inspiration from.  Personally, I was raised on Tolkien (read The Hobbit in 1st grade) and those dwarves are supposed to be like mountain stone made flesh.  They're earth spirits in a sense.  Their downside is they're not very numerous, don't make many allies, and tend to get themselves in trouble.

Applying these remade tissues would make sense for a lot of other creatures, though.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2010, 09:22:08 pm »

I think you make a good point but I also think it would be best to start from what we know as realistic and then go from there....Also have to consider this is for everything in DF (I think) not just the dwarfs...

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2010, 10:05:23 pm »

I think you make a good point but I also think it would be best to start from what we know as realistic and then go from there....Also have to consider this is for everything in DF (I think) not just the dwarfs...

That makes sense.  All this is getting me curious about messing with raws now...
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2010, 05:57:17 am »

I'm curious if everyone thinks this should be applied to dwarves, though?  They're supposed to be pretty tough creatures.  I don't know exactly what mythology Toady takes his inspiration from.  Personally, I was raised on Tolkien (read The Hobbit in 1st grade) and those dwarves are supposed to be like mountain stone made flesh.  They're earth spirits in a sense.  Their downside is they're not very numerous, don't make many allies, and tend to get themselves in trouble.

Applying these remade tissues would make sense for a lot of other creatures, though.
That would require more specific modding - creating specific tissues for dwarves and special body plan for dwarves and messing with dwarven raws. But DF dwarves do not seem exactly Tolkien-esque; Tolkien's dwarves were noble warriors and all this crap but DF dwarves are angry little alcoholics with anger issues.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2010, 06:15:20 am »

That would require more specific modding - creating specific tissues for dwarves and special body plan for dwarves and messing with dwarven raws. But DF dwarves do not seem exactly Tolkien-esque; Tolkien's dwarves were noble warriors and all this crap but DF dwarves are angry little alcoholics with anger issues.
You shouldn't have to create specific tissue. When you call up the tissue in the creature's raw entry, you can edit the tokens to change the vascularity and pain receptors for that tissue for that specific creature, or even for that specific caste if you want.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2010, 07:25:38 am »

But DF dwarves do not seem exactly Tolkien-esque; Tolkien's dwarves were noble warriors and all this crap but DF dwarves are angry little alcoholics with anger issues.

"But Thingol perceived their hearts, and saw well that desiring the Silmaril they sought but a pretext and fair clock for their true intent; and in his wrath and pride he gave no heed to his peril, but spoke to them in scorn, saying: 'How do ye of uncouth race dare to demand aught of me, Elu Thingol, Lord of Beleriand, whose life began by the waters of Cuivienen years uncounted ere the fathers of the stunted people awoke?'  And standing tall and proud among them he bade them with shameful words be gone unrequited out of Doriath.

Then the lust of the dwarves was kindled to rage by the words of the King; and they rose up about him, and laid hands on him, and slew him as he stood. ...

Then the Dwarves taking the Nauglamir passed out of Menegroth and fled eastwards through Region.  But tidings went swiftly through the forest, and few of that company came over Aros, for they were pursued to the death as they sought the eastward road ... Yet two there were of the slayers of Thingol who escaped from the pursuit on the eastern marches... and there in Nogrod they told somewhat of all that had befallen ...

Then great was the wrath and lamentation of the Dwarves of Nogrod for the death of their kin and their great craftsmen, and they tore their beards, and wailed; and long they sat taking thought for vengeance."

Nope... I think DF and Tolkien are spot on with each other... killing elven nobles for their goods and for acting too pretentious... tantrum spiraling when it doesn't turn out so well... all that's missing is magma!  :D

Anyway I'll stop the off-topic now, I promise.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2010, 08:49:22 am »

Hum. The amount of alcohol the Dwarves consume should help 'numb' some of the pain.

Another thought would be why dwarves don't use booze to prevent infections.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2010, 09:09:21 am »

Hum. The amount of alcohol the Dwarves consume should help 'numb' some of the pain.

Another thought would be why dwarves don't use booze to prevent infections.
A booze ON your body? Blasphemy! It works much better when it's inside your stomach!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10