Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Real life caves, cave features, cave adapted animals  (Read 1367 times)

Urk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Real life caves, cave features, cave adapted animals
« on: November 23, 2010, 02:38:18 pm »

There are some very interesting real life caves around the world, some have underground lakes and rivers and have complex maze structures.

Because of hazardous environment not all large cave systems have even been studied thoroughly, so we dont know what forgotten beasts cave adapted life forms and other interesting things may still be found!

Lets collect some cool links, images and maybe even webcams from these cave systems to this thread!  :D

Wikipedia article may be nice starting point for exploring underground features:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave

edit:
There is some interesting information about human made underground cities, some are used for quite disturbing things, slavery, prostitution, drugs etc. Also full economically stable cities have been underground, and of course graves.
http://hubpages.com/hub/Secret-Underground-Cities
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 01:13:33 pm by Urk »

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Real life caves, cave features, cave adopted animals
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 02:46:10 pm »

adapted

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
Re: Real life caves, cave features, cave adopted animals
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 02:56:11 pm »

My old friend Ted likes to spelunk.  I asked him to document his adventures and take pictures and what not.  Haven't heard from the guy lately though.  I should see how he's doing.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Urk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Real life caves, cave features, cave adapted animals
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 03:09:09 pm »

adapted

Thanks for pointing out that typo.

This gallery has some nice pictures, and one which makes me feel claustrophobic where one guy is in very tight spot  ???
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2009/06/tag-caves/alvarez-photography

There is interesting thread about abandoned mining camp at New Zealand
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=71478.0

My old friend Ted likes to spelunk.  I asked him to document his adventures and take pictures and what not.  Haven't heard from the guy lately though.  I should see how he's doing.

I read some pages about this guy exploring "Mystery Cave", at page 5 where he told how they take dog with them to cave and near small passage what they were trying to open up dog becomes very scared and refuses to go near hole they are working open. Huh!  :o i would run away screaming from that dark scary place if i were there :'(
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 03:35:29 pm by Urk »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 01:19:30 am »

I read some pages about this guy exploring "Mystery Cave", at page 5 where he told how they take dog with them to cave and near small passage what they were trying to open up dog becomes very scared and refuses to go near hole they are working open. Huh!  :o i would run away screaming from that dark scary place if i were there :'(
Congradulations, you are not Genre Blind enough to be one of the characters in The Descent. Seriously, just trust the dog's instincts if you want to stay alive. Certainly don't go entering uncharted caves. You're just asking to encounter somthing forgotten in the darkness down there...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Urk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 12:00:53 pm »

Congradulations, you are not Genre Blind enough to be one of the characters in The Descent. Seriously, just trust the dog's instincts if you want to stay alive. Certainly don't go entering uncharted caves. You're just asking to encounter somthing forgotten in the darkness down there...

I finished reading that story at last night... Oh the HOLY CARP! That stuff is scary :o

I life alone and night was dark, very dark and there was snow storm and very strong winds... i tried to sleep at my bed and i kept thinking about Ted and how he was near becoming mad and seeing things at his home after escaping those dark tunnels.    :'(

Finally i fall sleep until... i wake up when i hear door open  :o, then i get up and put lights on for some time and read something to calm me down, soon i fall sleep again.

That opening door at night, it must have been air flow which caused it because there was storm outside, right? ...RIGHT?? PLZ tell me it was just air flow!   :'(

Luckily there was no power outage at night when i wanted to put lights on, it would have really freaked me out!  ::)

edit:
To say something on topic, i found really cool video about underground elephants! Well, they only visit cave to eat some salt but thats quite interesting anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzqtkCqy7eQ
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 01:42:51 pm by Urk »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 02:01:51 pm »

Forgotten darkness like methane gas. Mmmmm, just breathe it in deeply now.

Urk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 02:47:48 pm »

Some really amazing pictures of crystal formations from magma-heated cave, look at size of them!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/10/101007-lost-crystal-caves-mexico-science-mine-superman-ice-palace/

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 04:20:39 am »

Bit of a necro (less than a month is that necroing?), but I wanted to share this HFS-Habitat with you. Large enough for even the most demanding tentacle-noble.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/01/largest-cave/peter-photography

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 04:44:05 am »

Bit of a necro (less than a month is that necroing?), but I wanted to share this HFS-Habitat with you. Large enough for even the most demanding tentacle-noble.

Okay, how the Hell does something like that stay hidden?  That third picture especially, with the tiny speck of a man wandering around an underground city.  If something that huge could go unnoticed, and stay stable, smack in territory that hosted a war of cave-dwellers versus carpet bombing, I'm really starting to wonder if there might be something to the Hollow Earth from adventures of yore.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 05:13:58 am »

Weird, isn't it? They only found some entrances just because there was bushes swaying in wind that shouldn't be there. Jungle covers a lot, I guess.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 07:27:05 pm »

I am now going to play me some DF.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 07:43:50 pm »

4th picture = <3<3<3

I wanna go there~~~
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 07:01:51 pm »

I really like the second one. It has clouds. Clouds in a cave. How awesome is that?