Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Life imitates Dwarf Fortress--Abandoned mining camp in New Zealand  (Read 3760 times)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: Life imitates Dwarf Fortress--Abandoned mining camp in New Zealand
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 04:18:08 am »

that's sad ... but they usually don't end well. the mining accidents.  :-\
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 05:11:06 am »

Reminds me of this as well http://www.damninteresting.com/the-smoldering-ruins-of-centralia

Hrmmm... do underground coal veins actually burn in DF? A reenactment might be fun...

I grew up in Centralia, Washington, which, like it's Pennsylvania counterpart, is a mining town. Unlike Centralia, PA, it's strip mining, so instead of endless burning tunnels of hell, it's poisoned water and mercury levels through the roof, which is slightly more horrifying in a long term perspective but far less dramatic.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 05:30:12 am »

Wow -there's a few kiwis on these here forums...

Used to be a miner in Oz (Australia, to those from the north) but came back to NZ, worked on the West Coast doing mining permits for a few years (fortunately, not Pike River), and now am up in the BOP, and my work involves several old mining areas and the odd trip to White Island.

Dammit - now I'm seeing DF in REAL LIFE around me!!!

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Kurouma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 05:40:34 am »

Yeah I heard about that today. Pukako, I'm in oz, where did you mine? Probably WA, I'm guessing?

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 10:47:59 am »

Wow -there's a few kiwis on these here forums...

Used to be a miner in Oz (Australia, to those from the north) but came back to NZ, worked on the West Coast doing mining permits for a few years (fortunately, not Pike River), and now am up in the BOP, and my work involves several old mining areas and the odd trip to White Island.

Dammit - now I'm seeing DF in REAL LIFE around me!!!
]
I'm an American, but I spent nine months in NZ. How in the hell did we miss this?  We'd have loved to have seen it.

Also, from what the guy on Livejournal who posted it says, all the cats in the Whakatane  area are descended from the surviving cat :D
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 11:42:11 am »

Also, from what the guy on Livejournal who posted it says, all the cats in the Whakatane  area are descended from the surviving cat :D

wha ... but if there was only one ... :o

spores? this is getting creepy now. Toady has crossed a line somewhere in the programming.. armok is awakening!
I have an art blog now.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 11:45:40 am »

wha ... but if there was only one ... :o

spores? this is getting creepy now. Toady has crossed a line somewhere in the programming.. armok is awakening!

its called descended ... it was a male cat ..that willfully just spread his genetics among the catladies .. as cat-guys just do all the time

you dont need 2 survivors if there are enough female cats on the mainland .. wich i take as granted  as cats even solo living with himans are widespread ...

maybe he just managed to keep away any other males .. male cats are prone to do so (my own housecat is father of like half the cat  population where i lived as youth  due to him roaming around and bashing any other cats

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2010, 11:48:08 am »

i had no idea 8)
I have an art blog now.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2010, 01:06:31 pm »

I believe this outdoes the New Zealand mine case in terms of dorfiness, gentlemen.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11839786
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2010, 01:50:18 pm »

I guess this proves that masons walling themselves in is not a bug, it's a feature!
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2010, 02:15:43 pm »

I guess this proves that masons walling themselves in is not a bug, it's a feature!
But at least, they can destroy walls! But not the useless one they just made. The neighbour's that had some kind of utility to it. Preferably when he's there and already on the verge of going berserk.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2010, 03:18:59 pm »

Thank you. Now every time I see a mining accident on the news, I'll think "A section of the cavern has collapsed!"

Sigged.
Anyway, everyone knows that dorfs love to wall themselves in and then bust others' walls!
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."
Pages: 1 [2]