Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hunting dogs = better sentries?  (Read 2335 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Hunting dogs = better sentries?
« on: November 23, 2010, 09:24:47 am »

The wiki reports they have a greater sight range. Thus, do they make better sentries than war dogs or regular ones?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting dogs = better sentries?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 10:52:42 am »

I always use 2 war dogs tied up INSIDE my gates, so nothing can get inside. I don't especially care if thieves or ambushes are outside; cats nearly always have it covered for me.

But still i would like to know this as well.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 11:10:14 am »

If they have more sight then yes, they would make better setnires. The question is whether or not you want to bother investing in animals that are just going to get gutted the minute an enemy arrives. I just use whatever junk animals I got from the elven caravan, from groundhogs to deer.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 06:15:52 pm »

If they have more sight then yes, they would make better setnires. The question is whether or not you want to bother investing in animals that are just going to get gutted the minute an enemy arrives. I just use whatever junk animals I got from the elven caravan, from groundhogs to deer.
Because if they have a greater LOS they wont get gutted at all. I install them at watch towers to spot ambush parties early. They are not supposed to fight, which even war dogs do badly nowadays, anyways. They are supposed to give me enough time to lock doors and/or raise the drawbridge.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 06:16:43 pm »

I use dwarves armed with masterwork steel weapons and armor as my sentries.

I find most problems are resolved on their own. :D

lordofhyphens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 08:33:27 pm »

Here I am now wishing I could just chain up arbitrary dwarves with a food/drink stockpile within range.
"Extinction is not an option."

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 09:06:29 pm »

Hmm, greater sight is reason enough to use them instead of kittens as my sacrificial sentries. Chained animals will die no matter what and I have plenty surplus anyway (I make sure to ask dwarven caravans to bring lots of breeding pairs for dogs).
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 10:00:54 pm »

If they do indeed have greater range, we could chuck them into glass tanks flanking our entrances (or above them) to watch for stealthed dudes, who wouldn't be able to attack back.

This is worthy of science.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 10:13:50 pm »

I'm using Dogs behind a glass wall to look for goblins, will this work?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 10:17:47 pm »

I don't think that glass is transparent enough. I'm using dogs in a roof. Two locked doors keep them safe from goblin ambushers, which are what they are supposed to watch out for to begin with. I think they did detect these earlier than I would, normally, which gave me time to lock my doors and crossbow at the ones that didn't get trapped in the cage traps.

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 10:58:56 pm »

Glass windows
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 11:12:01 pm »

Trolls

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 01:26:20 am »

Glass windows behind fortifications, will keep you kitty sentrys safe
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 04:34:19 am »

Glass windows behind fortifications, will keep you kitty sentrys safe

cows/horses or other large herbivore behind regular fortifications with a trench is easier to build and soaks up enemy archer's ammunition.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 11:11:01 am »

Here I am now wishing I could just chain up arbitrary dwarves with a food/drink stockpile within range.

You can!

Just create a burrow and assign dwarves you don't like to that burrow.
Pages: [1] 2