Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38]

Author Topic: North Korea fired artillery shells at South Korea  (Read 38597 times)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
Re: North Korea fired artillery shells at South Korea
« Reply #555 on: November 29, 2010, 11:28:56 pm »

Of their allies' betrayal, of the Soviet backstabbing. Of our best minds being executed at Katyn, on Stalin's orders. Of the many lives lost, and brave insurgents fighting to their last during the Warsaw uprising. Of the Polish pilots fighting the Battle of Britain, Polish paratroopers fighting alongside Brits at Arnhem, dying at Monte Cassino... and then being sold at Yalta. All those patriotic tales we, the (tench-hut)Brave Polish People(at ease), grew up on.

True facts, all of these. Of all the sticks in WW2, Poland's was one of the shortest. Not to mention all the work Polish cryptologists did for the Allies, too.

Eh, the Russians who defected to the Germans in 1941 got it pretty bad too. They were all put on the Western front for garrison duty where they either fought to the death or were captured and later sent back to Russia to be executed (just like the Germans warned them.)
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 29, 2010, 11:45:12 pm »

[spoiler=Mounting Spoilers]
I lol every single time I see "North Korea can't handle American Firepower" in this thread and in other places.

Yeah, the US is going to kick Korea's ass and get home by Christmas, just like they did with Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq!
Given that:

A. A war with NK would include more than the US.

B. Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq actually had functioning governments.

C. The previous nations had a known loyalist population (Granted, NK might as well, but we don't know for certain how much of the population follows Kim-Jong Il's personality cult just to stay alive and how many buy into it).

I'd say that the idea that North Korea will quicky crumble isn't as presumptous as it would be otherwise.
When the US was forming, we had ample support from the French for almost a hundred years before we were really standing on our own two feet. And it wasn't until WW1 where we could stand quite independently as a nation, this was then solidified in WW2.
Umm, no. By 1798 the US and France had already fought a war. (Granted, it was an undeclared naval war, but still.)

That was because Napolean was an ass and the whole revolution thing. But it only lasted like a year didn't? Maybe two?

Our strong trading ties with the French, was one of the main issues that caused the 1812 wars.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: November 29, 2010, 11:46:15 pm »

Didn't the Poles actually have a good army, just for the wrong kind of war? The kind of war that cavalry (as in horses) were used was before WWI.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: November 29, 2010, 11:51:35 pm »

Of their allies' betrayal, of the Soviet backstabbing. Of our best minds being executed at Katyn, on Stalin's orders. Of the many lives lost, and brave insurgents fighting to their last during the Warsaw uprising. Of the Polish pilots fighting the Battle of Britain, Polish paratroopers fighting alongside Brits at Arnhem, dying at Monte Cassino... and then being sold at Yalta. All those patriotic tales we, the (tench-hut)Brave Polish People(at ease), grew up on.

True facts, all of these. Of all the sticks in WW2, Poland's was one of the shortest. Not to mention all the work Polish cryptologists did for the Allies, too.

Eh, the Russians who defected to the Germans in 1941 got it pretty bad too. They were all put on the Western front for garrison duty where they either fought to the death or were captured and later sent back to Russia to be executed (just like the Germans warned them.)

Oh, definitely. Honestly the Russian stick as a whole was pretty short, too. I just don't feel competent to come to a conclusion over which stick was actually the shortest.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: November 30, 2010, 12:13:58 am »

Oh, definitely. Honestly the Russian stick as a whole was pretty short, too. I just don't feel competent to come to a conclusion over which stick was actually the shortest.

Hitler's. Why do you think WW2 started?

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: November 30, 2010, 01:07:06 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That was because Napolean was an ass and the whole revolution thing. But it only lasted like a year didn't? Maybe two?

Our strong trading ties with the French, was one of the main issues that caused the 1812 wars.

Actually no. "Our" first war was the French and Indian war, an extension of the War of Austrian Succession, in which as British subjects we were pulled into a series of frontier battles against the French and their Indian allies in the Ohio territory. This is one of the principle reasons for the revolution and is noted in the Declaration of Independance. It also was the reason we stayed out of European alliances for decades to come. Furthermore, the War of 1812 was actually simply the United States chosing a side in the very business-hostile maritime conditions of that period. British ships were interdicting American ships to France and impressing British-born Americans into service on their warships, while French ships were interdicting shipping to Britian to impress French-born American citizens to serve on their warships. They insisted that since we weren't picking a side in the conflict between the two our vessels were fair game. We very nearly chose a war with France (as our northeastern states were heavily invested in the British rum trade) but instead chose the old saw of fighting the English. After demonstrating we could not only hold our own against the British navy (we actually won a majority of the ship-to-ship duels) and forcing a stalemate in a full-scale British invasion, the concept of American independance was properly realized as not just a fluke rebellion of a few provinces able to overthrow their garrison during a time of British overreach.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #561 on: November 30, 2010, 01:46:25 am »

I'm getting reports all over this thread all of sudden, even from posts that are old.  I'm just going to lock it.  Eugenitor has been muted for 3 days.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 01:52:18 am by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38]