Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 38

Author Topic: North Korea fired artillery shells at South Korea  (Read 38762 times)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: North Korea fired artillery shells at South Korea
« Reply #495 on: November 29, 2010, 09:55:59 am »

This is what MetalSlimeHunt just said:

A: The US did NOT bring allies into Vietnam, Afghanistan, or Iraq.
I didn't say that. I meant that a war with North Korea would see much higher multinational cooperation than any of those three invasions, most of all from South Korea.

B: North Korea does not have a functioning government.
They might have a functioning millitary, but secret police and a token constitution while the nation starves does not a functioning government make.

C: North Korea does not have an extremely patriotic citizenry.
I said that we don't know how much of North Korea's population is extremely patriotic. Anyone who doesn't at least appear to follow the Great Leader like a god is long dead/sent to a death camp along with two generations of their family. How many are genuine and how many are putting up a facade is somthing that we simply do not know.

We also don't know any of those 3 points. The Western media has been extremely biased against NK, just like it was against Iraq. There were plenty of people who believed that Saddam raped children, that he would execute people at will, that he had secret police, that his people hated him, that he rigged elections.

I strongly doubt most of the things people say about NK. I've seen some videos of people in there, and the people are sufficiently brainwashed and skeptical of the outside world. The Western world likes to act like it's a free thinking world, but it's still not free from the influence of media. How do you know they have secret police? How do you know that they're starving? How do you know people hate them? Do you know that they send their people into death camps?

The media tells you all that. How do you know that they checked their facts? It's not like most journalists would know about secret police if they're secret.

With all the propaganda CNN had on the War on Iraq, the Americans thought that they were going to be greeted with flowers. But no, the civilians were more willing to kill themselves than let USA in. Why was that?
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: November 29, 2010, 10:25:39 am »

Actually, that's why it's good to check various media. before the Iraqi war, CNN may have been blasting propaganda, but if you read other newpaper and looked at other channels (Try Al-Jazeera: they got great journalists) you could have known it was bullshit.

Now, about NK, either the whole world is in a conspiracy to darken the image of Kim Jong Il's peaceful regime, or they're evil. That's it.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: November 29, 2010, 10:33:06 am »

Part of the problem with knowing about NK is that they clamp down on information and themselves create a facade for foriegners, so its even harder to get reliable information out of there.

As for the CNN 'propoganda', I blame the Bush adminstration. I don't think I've heard that one about him raping children, still alot of people actually DID hate him, so we weren't wrong there.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 29, 2010, 11:40:35 am »

on't think I've heard that one about him raping children

Gulf War 1: the US organized a fake news item of Iraqi soldiers killing babies in Kuwait with the help of the latter's ambassador.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 29, 2010, 11:43:47 am »

on't think I've heard that one about him raping children

Gulf War 1: the US organized a fake news item of Iraqi soldiers killing babies in Kuwait with the help of the latter's ambassador.

I was just a kid then, so I wouldn't have known.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: November 29, 2010, 12:58:33 pm »

This is bad. The world has been experiencing more and more wars. There have only been 3 weeks that no conflict has been ongoing in the last 50 years, where as 200 years ago that would be unheard of.
Show me one three week period that was over 200 years ago, and I'll show you who was at war.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 29, 2010, 01:29:35 pm »

A. A war with NK would include more than the US.
Sure, ignore the coalition in Afghanistan and Iraq.  We don't mind.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 29, 2010, 01:37:52 pm »

A. A war with NK would include more than the US.
Sure, ignore the coalition in Afghanistan and Iraq.  We don't mind.

Moar like a LOLalition, amirite?

The UK is providing minor support. A couple of other countries are providing token contributions to the unwinnable. The numbers of other countries' troops are so laughably low that they might as well not be there at all.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 29, 2010, 01:41:52 pm »

Let's grant for a moment that stuff you just typed was true and not utter BS: what makes you think that Korea would be any different?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 29, 2010, 01:45:07 pm »

Hey, we invaded Iraq with about 1/3 of the number of troops America had.  It's a fairly substantial amount.

And non American troops are needed to clean up the mess left behind keep control of some of the regions.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 29, 2010, 01:50:17 pm »

There is no difference, Poo. If there's war it'll be US and SK against NK. And we better hope that China doesn't get involved on either side, because if they fight for Pyongyang (extremely, laughably unlikely) it's war war, and if they attack NK then you bet your ass they're going to redraw the border and we'll have a whole new level of problems with Sino-Korean relations long after the war's over.

The problem isn't winning the war. We have more than enough unstoppable bombs for everybody. The problem is the situation a few years from now.

Leaf: Sorry, it's just that we have a hard time taking you seriously in general.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 29, 2010, 01:52:19 pm »

It's so cute when Eugenitor refers to himself in plural 3rd person.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 29, 2010, 01:58:39 pm »

I haven't read much about this recently but here's a new article on the situation. One thing to note is China's neutral "no comment" stance on the conflict, which is kind of dickish. But at least South Korea is calming down.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 29, 2010, 02:15:04 pm »

I believe that the text of U.N. Resolution 82 says that the entire Korean peninsula belongs to the Republic of Korea, so I'm fairly certain that a large amount of allies would follow South Korea into the war, just like the first time.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 29, 2010, 02:21:17 pm »

when china comes over at least they will deal with them.

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 38