Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 38

Author Topic: North Korea fired artillery shells at South Korea  (Read 38642 times)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: North Korea fired artillery shells at South Korea
« Reply #330 on: November 26, 2010, 10:46:20 pm »

Hm... So we send a probe through the mantle to make a massive imprompteu volcano in Pyongyang?

I see absolutely no problem with this plan. Make it so.
Yes, immedately requistion the impossible amount of matter required and blast a hole in the planet.
Heavily subterranean nuclear detonations don't have too much effect on the evironment, right?

Anyway, we could probably get a quarter of the world's petroleum turned into napalm if we wanted to do a Scorched Earth campaign. Or we could raise aluminum prices through the roof and go for a thermite-based stockpile attack. A few tons of thermite will go through mountain.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 26, 2010, 10:49:04 pm »

Eugenitor, you remind me why I don't like talking to you.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 26, 2010, 10:50:31 pm »

Then stop doing it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 26, 2010, 10:51:13 pm »

Hm... So we send a probe through the mantle to make a massive imprompteu volcano in Pyongyang?

Yes, immedately requistion the impossible amount of matter required and blast a hole in the planet.
Heavily subterranean nuclear detonations don't have too much effect on the evironment, right?
We need no subterranean detonations. Death Valley will make a good enough starting point to blast through the crust. Or perhaps a fault line...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 26, 2010, 10:56:14 pm »

Nuclear weapons DO NOT WORK THAT WAY. To achieve critical mass, a very specific set of events has to operate in a very specific way. If one of those events does not happen at the exact right time and manner, there's no boom. The design flaw you are referring to led to subcriticality, a hazard for atomic weapons kept assembled for long periods of time. This would generate a significant radiation hazard, and a noticible heat release, but these would be easily detected and dealt with.

Sigh. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_weapon_design#Warhead_design_safety

These are critical-mass events, with actual nuclear yields, happening by *accident*.

"Hardened stockpiles"? Really? Despite my misgivings about various expensive projects that never seem to reliably deliver, I'm quite certain that the US has mastered the fine art of blowing shit up real good. Barack Obama can say "Okay, guys, you get to play with the MOAB and the tactical nukes if you need them. We can't afford a protracted war; use everything you've got." and the officers of the USAF will squeal gleefully like little kids in a candy store with a hundred dollar bill, holding hands, skipping around in a circle, and singing "It's the best... war... ever..."

As for NK remnants, and they will very swiftly become remnants in an all-out US/Japanese/SK assault, is that what we'd really have to worry about? Sixty-year-old sludgy fuel and misfiring, time-weakened ammo? In a culture of authoritarians, the vast majority of who have no idea how to act independently, who will have their command networks and heavy equipment support cut off? And meanwhile, a Korean voice is on what used to be their military radio (good luck reaching HQ now- it's what we refer to as a crater!) telling them to surrender? Dear Leader reduced to fine dust, generals to gibs, their entire belief structure crushed? I foresee the same thing that happened in Germany after Hitler checked out: suicides, surrenders, not much guerilla resistance to speak of, and a Marshall Plan.

Edit: I can't believe there's anyone who still cares about image bandwidth these days.
I never thought I'd say this on here, but it seems I have to. You, sir, are a complete imbecile. That wikipedia page you linked to says EXACTLY what I said. As for the rest of your post, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Break out MOABs and tactical nukes for a single theater war that does not directly threaten the US, but where the use of WMDs would harm two of the three nations on earth that possess land-based ICBMs?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 26, 2010, 10:57:41 pm »

We need no subterranean detonations. Death Valley will make a good enough starting point to blast through the crust. Or perhaps a fault line...
The subterranean detonation was for the volcano. Which is supposed to be in Pyongyang. Not the US.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 26, 2010, 11:02:18 pm »

The subterranean detonation was for the volcano. Which is supposed to be in Pyongyang. Not the US.
My idea was that we'd smash through to the mantle and send down a large chunk of somthing in the mantle currents so that it would come up under Pyongyang.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 26, 2010, 11:05:01 pm »

My idea was that we'd smash through to the mantle and send down a large chunk of somthing in the mantle currents so that it would come up under Pyongyang.
To get to the mantle all you need to do is drill through the crust, a moderately challenging proposal. Get a big rock in outer space. Strap a rocket booster to it. Calculate orbital decay. Saddle it, wave cowboy hat. I admit that this proposal involves coming down on Pyongyang, not up from beneath.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 26, 2010, 11:17:52 pm »

To get to the mantle all you need to do is drill through the crust, a moderately challenging proposal. Get a big rock in outer space. Strap a rocket booster to it. Calculate orbital decay. Saddle it, wave cowboy hat. I admit that this proposal involves coming down on Pyongyang, not up from beneath.

Meteor weapons are too much like ICBMs. I mean, sure, they're cool, they lack that oomph that you get out of a volcano appearing in the middle of a city.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 26, 2010, 11:24:06 pm »

Eugenitor: With regards nuclear bombs. Explosions CAN happen if you have a supercritical mass at any time. In fact, given enough time, it is statistically inevitable that they will. It is not certain, however, that they will between the nuke being hit and the nuke disintegrating, and I gather that it's actually extremely unlikely. The difference is that with long-term storage, you've got enough time that it becomes very likely for a spontaneous nuclear reaction, which means NK would be insaner than they actually are to store their nukes as supercritical masses.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 26, 2010, 11:27:48 pm »

The believe that North Korea has a Cap on there insanity is completely false.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 26, 2010, 11:31:59 pm »

The believe that North Korea has a Cap on there insanity is completely false.

Perhaps. Allow me to rephrase. They would have to have channeled their publicity insanity into their weapons manufacturing insanity.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 26, 2010, 11:35:04 pm »

I refuse to believe that there was any untapped market of insanity in Best Korea.

I would go to war just to see the flying explodey death chickens.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 26, 2010, 11:47:21 pm »

It's not a problem if you assemble the weapon right before you fire it. We put together our WW2 atomic bombs *on the plane*.

The idea that any kind of point defense is going to hit an artillery shell anywhere but nose-on or with anything that's going to blow through it faster than the implosion charge will detonate, if we're lucky enough to hit it at all in a sea of artillery shells that we've never hit in the past (including the most recent barrage), against an enemy that's probably concerned about our ability to shoot the incoming nukes down, is just plain lol. We can blow them up real good, they can blow Seoul up real good, and if they do the first thing I'm going to do is enjoy the reduced amount of garbage in the Starcraft game list.

Also, partial detonations, predetonations, and inefficient detonations all have the property of being very, very dirty, with lots of long-term contamination as the radioactive guts go everywhere.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #344 on: November 27, 2010, 12:06:08 am »

...and if they do the first thing I'm going to do is enjoy the reduced amount of garbage in the Starcraft game list.

That is highly unkind, sir.

And I'm not certain but it might be racist too.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 38