Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 38

Author Topic: North Korea fired artillery shells at South Korea  (Read 38644 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: North Korea fired artillery shells at South Korea
« Reply #315 on: November 26, 2010, 09:07:05 pm »

So basically, it's "hope it predetonates instead of the implosion core going off?"

Um. Guys. The reason modern nuclear weapons won't go off unless they go through a specific sequence is because they're designed that way. It's a built-in safety feature, not something inherent to the technology. You're hoping that North Korea designed its weapons the same way.

Well, actually, by my understanding, you need to slam the uranium cores directly into one another at the right speed while firing a neutron gun into it at precisely the right moment so that you at once have critical mass and the trigger for the explosion proper. If you blow off chunks of the cores or don't fire the neutron gun before the TNT detonation that propels one core into the other destroys said gun (which isn't going to be accomplished by blowing up the warhead unexpectedly), you don't get a nuclear kaboom. And you can't really store a supercritical nuclear weapon, because it WILL blow up in storage if you're dumb enough to try it, given enough time. The neutron gun is a timing mechanism that ensures it goes off when you want it to.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 26, 2010, 09:08:51 pm »

Precisely. An ICBM warhead, being smaller than a man (seriously. They only come up to my waist.) would not be an easy target anyway, and, due to it's orbital path, has the full acceleration of the Earth's gravity well. Upgraded Scud types like the DPRK has are much larger targets, and, being sub-orbital, have a fraction of the acceleration.

SlimeHunt. What do you think that massive military budget goes to? Primarily training and maintenance. Also a very large portion of the food. Small stature from malnutrition is something of an asset. One hallmark of USSR military equipment is that it tended to be more cramped than Western designs.

Bauglir: That's a correct description of a gun-type device. Implosion weapons are even trickier.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 26, 2010, 09:11:34 pm »

So lets get this war started!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 26, 2010, 09:12:48 pm »

How many in the Army eats well? All of them. The Army eats first. Also I'd expect their level of training to be very high. It really only costs a little ammunition and ordinance to train infantrymen, and while they might not get a lot of range time with big ticket weapons, I would expect them to be superb at the patrol, ambush and entrench game.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 26, 2010, 09:17:23 pm »

Precisely. An ICBM warhead, being smaller than a man (seriously. They only come up to my waist.) would not be an easy target anyway, and, due to it's orbital path, has the full acceleration of the Earth's gravity well. Upgraded Scud types like the DPRK has are much larger targets, and, being sub-orbital, have a fraction of the acceleration.
Still, some people think that this is a sensible enough idea to actually build these systems.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_missile_defence
You just don't try shooting it with a minigun. Use something with big enough explosion radius to ensure a hit, regardless of the target's size(Moscow's ABM is my favourite in this respect).

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 26, 2010, 09:19:09 pm »

The idea is that even a limited defence, however small, is better than nothing. For that matter, Moscow's ABM batteries date back to the 1960's, when they were actually viable weapons.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 26, 2010, 09:20:44 pm »

No such thing as a non-viable weapon. They kill Israeli soldiers with the same sling design David used against Goliath.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 26, 2010, 09:33:44 pm »

Okay, yeah, it'd probably be gun-type in an artillery round. My mistake.

It only needs to be exact if it was built that way. If both halves are fairly close to but not at supercriticality, and the explosive to jam them together is at the pointy end (the by far most likely place of hitting a falling artillery shell), it's almost certainly going to detonate with a good portion of its radioactive mass. This is a horrible and insane way to design a nuclear weapon, which fits North Korea perfectly, and the design of choice if you're intentionally trying to make it blow up if it gets shot down.

Hell, there existed (in the US!) nuke artillery that would start to ignite if it pointed downwards. We spent a lot of time and money to make nuclear weapons that don't go kaboom if anything violent happens in their vicinity.

The North Koreans will likely try to fight a great deal like the Viet Cong, only this time we get to knock out their supply sources. Sunnis and Shiites have their sugar daddies, but who's going to resupply the North Koreans once the government and military infrastructure go down? They're trained for war, but are they trained for guerilla war?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 26, 2010, 09:52:08 pm »

Nuclear weapons DO NOT WORK THAT WAY. To achieve critical mass, a very specific set of events has to operate in a very specific way. If one of those events does not happen at the exact right time and manner, there's no boom. The design flaw you are referring to led to subcriticality, a hazard for atomic weapons kept assembled for long periods of time. This would generate a significant radiation hazard, and a noticible heat release, but these would be easily detected and dealt with.

As for NK supplies, they are MUCH less vulnerable than you think. GPS-guided bombs are not accurate enough to guarantee destruction of hardened stockpiles, and laser-guided weapons are effectively useless with the retirement of the F-117. (A laser guided bomb requires an aircraft to loiter until impact. None of the aircraft that currently carry them would be easily able to survive in the massive SAM threat around such an important installation.) That's assuming that they can even FIND the caches. The DPRK is extremely good at camouflage. It's likely that they have been stockpiling fuel and ammo since the last war.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 26, 2010, 10:08:55 pm »

Nuclear weapons DO NOT WORK THAT WAY. To achieve critical mass, a very specific set of events has to operate in a very specific way. If one of those events does not happen at the exact right time and manner, there's no boom. The design flaw you are referring to led to subcriticality, a hazard for atomic weapons kept assembled for long periods of time. This would generate a significant radiation hazard, and a noticible heat release, but these would be easily detected and dealt with.

As for NK supplies, they are MUCH less vulnerable than you think. GPS-guided bombs are not accurate enough to guarantee destruction of hardened stockpiles, and laser-guided weapons are effectively useless with the retirement of the F-117. (A laser guided bomb requires an aircraft to loiter until impact. None of the aircraft that currently carry them would be easily able to survive in the massive SAM threat around such an important installation.) That's assuming that they can even FIND the caches. The DPRK is extremely good at camouflage. It's likely that they have been stockpiling fuel and ammo since the last war.

Too true. Many warheads can be shot with a pistol at point blank range and still will not explode, especially nuclear ones.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 26, 2010, 10:25:22 pm »

Hm... So we send a probe through the mantle to make a massive imprompteu volcano in Pyongyang?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 26, 2010, 10:35:37 pm »

Hm... So we send a probe through the mantle to make a massive imprompteu volcano in Pyongyang?

I see absolutely no problem with this plan. Make it so.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 26, 2010, 10:36:53 pm »

Sigh. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_weapon_design#Warhead_design_safety

These are critical-mass events, with actual nuclear yields, happening by *accident*.

"Hardened stockpiles"? Really? Despite my misgivings about various expensive projects that never seem to reliably deliver, I'm quite certain that the US has mastered the fine art of blowing shit up real good. Barack Obama can say "Okay, guys, you get to play with the MOAB and the tactical nukes if you need them. We can't afford a protracted war; use everything you've got." and the officers of the USAF will squeal gleefully like little kids in a candy store with a hundred dollar bill, holding hands, skipping around in a circle, and singing "It's the best... war... ever..."

As for NK remnants, and they will very swiftly become remnants in an all-out US/Japanese/SK assault, is that what we'd really have to worry about? Sixty-year-old sludgy fuel and misfiring, time-weakened ammo? In a culture of authoritarians, the vast majority of who have no idea how to act independently, who will have their command networks and heavy equipment support cut off? And meanwhile, a Korean voice is on what used to be their military radio (good luck reaching HQ now- it's what we refer to as a crater!) telling them to surrender? Dear Leader reduced to fine dust, generals to gibs, their entire belief structure crushed? I foresee the same thing that happened in Germany after Hitler checked out: suicides, surrenders, not much guerilla resistance to speak of, and a Marshall Plan.

Edit: I can't believe there's anyone who still cares about image bandwidth these days.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 10:46:05 pm by Eugenitor »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 26, 2010, 10:37:14 pm »

I see absolutely no problem with this plan. Make it so.
Yes, immedately requistion the impossible amount of matter required and blast a hole in the planet.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 26, 2010, 10:44:18 pm »

We need to get our terraforming and weather control perfected. Earthquakes and tornadoes constantly.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 38