Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 38

Author Topic: North Korea fired artillery shells at South Korea  (Read 38713 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: North Korea fired artillery shells at South Korea
« Reply #195 on: November 24, 2010, 10:27:42 pm »

Wait, who said jungle warfare?
Korea's mountainous is it not?
Mountainous jungle, I think.

Man, I think penalties stack, that is going to be like -45%.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 24, 2010, 10:28:23 pm »

snip

Ok, apparently you're going to keep faking the relevant bits aren't there unless I copypaste them here, right? Fine.

Right after what you posted, comes this
At the same time, China has too much at stake in North Korea to halt or withdraw its support entirely. "The idea that the Chinese would turn their backs on the North Koreans is clearly wrong," says CFR Senior Fellow Adam Segal. Beijing only agreed to UN Resolution 1718 after revisions removed requirements for tough economic sanctions beyond those targeting luxury goods, and China's trade with North Korea has continued to increase. Bilateral trade between China and North Korea reached $2.79 billion in 2008, up 41.3 percent compared to 2007.  Park writes that much of  China's economic interactions with North Korea are not actually prohibited by the current UN sanctions regime, as Beijing  characterizes them as economic development and humanitarian activities. China's enforcement of the UN sanctions is also unclear, says a January 2010 report (PDF) from the U.S. Congressional Research Service, which notes that  Chinese exports of banned luxury goods averaged around $11 million per month in 2009.

Also, later:
China's support for Pyongyang ensures a friendly nation on its northeastern border, and provides a buffer zone between China and democratic South Korea, which is home to around twenty-nine thousand U.S. troops and marines. This allows China to reduce its military deployment in its northeast and "focus more directly on the issue of Taiwanese independence,"
China also gains economically from its association with North Korea; growing numbers of Chinese firms are investing in North Korea and gaining concessions like preferable trading terms and port operations. Chinese companies have made major investments aimed at developing mineral resources in North Korea's northern region.

Experts say China has also been ambiguous on the question of its commitment to intervene for the defense of North Korea in case of military conflict. The 1961 Sino-North Korean Treaty of Friendship, Cooperation, and Mutual Assistance says China is obliged to defend North Korea against unprovoked aggression. But Jaewoo Choo, assistant professor of Chinese foreign policy at Kyung Hee University in South Korea, writes in Asian Survey that "China conceives itself to have the right to make an authoritative interpretation of the principle for intervention" (PDF) in the treaty.  As a result of changes in regional security in a post-Cold War world, he writes, "China now places more value on national interest, over alliances blinded by ideology." But, he argues, Chinese ambiguity deters others from taking military action against Pyongyang.

even though China may be angry at North Korea's nuclear brinkmanship, analysts say it will avoid moves that could cause a sudden collapse of the regime. Given the competition for influence in preparation for the eventual passing of a physically weak Kim Jong-Il, China may feel even more restrained from pressuring North Korea for fear of alienating a future power base.

To be fair, they do post a (somewhat) dissenting opinion in the end:
But Asian military affairs expert Andrew Scobell writes, "No action by China should be ruled out where North Korea is concerned." According to Scobell, Beijing might stop propping up Pyongyang and allow North Korea to fail if it believed a unified Korea under Seoul would be more favorably disposed toward Beijing. A January 2008 report by the Center for Strategic and International Studies and the U.S. Institute of Peace, two Washington-based think tanks, says China has its own contingency plans (PDF) to dispatch troops to North Korea in case of instability. According to the report, the Chinese army could be sent into North Korea on missions to keep order if unrest triggers broader violence, including attacks on nuclear facilities in the North or South.

but the outline and analysis of the article is pretty clear.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 24, 2010, 10:33:15 pm »

Wait, who said jungle warfare?
Korea's mountainous is it not?
Mountainous jungle, I think.

Man, I think penalties stack, that is going to be like -45%.
Considering what happened during Vietnam and our previous escapades in Korea, you might be right about that.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 24, 2010, 10:43:45 pm »

Gentlemen, you are getting this all wrong. The obvious way to settle this argument is to have someone with Hearts of Iron II: Doomsday and the Modern Day Scenario II modification start a campaign as Best Korea and see how a war with these various countries would fair. Kind of like this, but with everyone (And better image quality). I'm not just making a joke here, I'm dying for a MDSII LP, and what better reason to start one than war arguments on the internet?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 24, 2010, 10:50:33 pm »

That'll be a pretty huge penalty for horses and archers. Obviously we'll need to send in melee troops.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 24, 2010, 10:51:45 pm »

That'll be a pretty huge penalty for horses and archers. Obviously we'll need to send in melee troops.

Not exactly, your forgetting the mountaineers or Skii Soldiers.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 24, 2010, 11:02:25 pm »

Not exactly, your forgetting the mountaineers or Skii Soldiers.
Finns?  In MY North Korea?  It's less likely than you think.
My ex-GF's grandfather caught a grenade and threw it back in WWII.  Finns are bad-ass.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 25, 2010, 12:46:10 am »

Ach chuck some Gurkhas at them then they'll eat them all.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 25, 2010, 12:54:12 am »

That is the strangest idea in this thread, because it's so completely true and yet so totally useless.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 25, 2010, 01:18:53 am »

The levels of true but useless in this thread are off the charts.  Also the levels of untrue but useless.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 25, 2010, 02:43:18 am »

I really don't know what to say to this then Oh Fuck.

This isn't NK being antagonistic, this is an actual attack.  Bleh.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 25, 2010, 06:02:40 am »

NK has shelled SK many, many times since the Korean War.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Unexpected development in the crisis
« Reply #207 on: November 25, 2010, 06:17:59 am »

Quote from: Sarah Palin
But obviously, we’ve got to stand with our North Korean allies. We’re bound to by treaty
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 25, 2010, 06:43:12 am »

NK has shelled SK many, many times since the Korean War.

I don't think that's the case. They've attacked them and made plans to invade them, but have always denied doing so and they have never shelled South Korea since the ceasefire.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 25, 2010, 06:44:01 am »

Interesitng, because I know several people who claim to have been attacked by mortars while on duty at the DMZ.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 38