Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 38

Author Topic: North Korea fired artillery shells at South Korea  (Read 38744 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: North Korea fired artillery shells at South Korea
« Reply #135 on: November 24, 2010, 01:48:24 pm »

Yeah, I suppose they have had the time and all the slave labor to make Iwo Jima look like an underground parking garage.
*imagines an awesome evil lair, complete with magma moats and foundries using the heat of the earth and the raw power of hordes of minions to create artillery peices*

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 24, 2010, 01:50:25 pm »

North Korea has had 50+ years to dig in and fortifying the their country.
Considering the balanced and reasonable response of most of the people on this thread, I have no idea why.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 24, 2010, 01:52:03 pm »

That was the basis of my Sneak Attack Preemptive Scorched Earth Rain of Death tactic

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 24, 2010, 01:54:50 pm »

Well, let's be honest here: the thoughtlessly jingoistic behavior from (some) forumnites here doesn't really have any bearing on North Korea's emphasis in fortifications and weaponry, which is more related to it being a psychotic dictatorship.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 24, 2010, 01:55:39 pm »

Well, let's be honest here: the thoughtlessly jingoistic behavior from (some) forumnites here doesn't really have any bearing on North Korea's emphasis in fortifications and weaponry, which is more related to it being a psychotic dictatorship.
It may be something to do with the strongly jingoistic behaviour from others, though...

That was the basis of my Sneak Attack Preemptive Scorched Earth Rain of Death tactic
Because we all know that a strong initial strike will immediately end a war, and won't lead to any kind of insurgency or resistance?

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 24, 2010, 01:57:55 pm »

If its strong enough.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 24, 2010, 02:01:42 pm »

Yeah.  I mean, it worked in Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq, right?

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 24, 2010, 02:02:59 pm »

NOT ENOUGH POWER
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 24, 2010, 02:03:54 pm »

YOU MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITTIONAL PYLONS
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #144 on: November 24, 2010, 02:04:29 pm »

Yes.

Who-who told you otherwise? Was it books?

You know you can't trust anything printed on tree corpses.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 24, 2010, 02:19:12 pm »

I love how none of those "battleships" are actual battleships.

How many proper battleships does the US Navy have anymore?  I can't remember ever hearing about Navy ships actually shelling something in the modern day.

Zero. Last use of a battleship was in Desert Storm, where they shelled the Iraqi coast on the Persian Gulf with I believe the Missouri's 16 inch "President Says Fuck You" guns. The battleship's presense along with a rather large buildup of Marines was to sucker Iraq into thinking we would do a D-Day amphibious invasion. The resulting buildup of enemy troops not only presented a nice target, but left the broad western desert more lightly defended, allowing us to launch the fastest advance in history. Well, that and our tanks were brand new and theirs were basically two generations behind.

Regarding this whole "liberating North Korea, lol noob" nonsense, I've got to say that the people in death camps would throw flowers at us. Elsewhere they'd throw flowers too, except they ate them all. Given how generous the American soldier usually is it wouldn't take too long to break down the propaganda. However, the propaganda, the die-hards, and the whole "most militarized country on Earth" factor in a mountainous guerilla's paradise makes the act of actual liberation very, very difficult. it would be a low projection to say the casualties suffered since 2001 to the present in Iraq and Afghanistan would be repeated retaking North Korea, with losses of many more heavy systems, particularly aircraft. That's why I never supported the whole "invade North Korea instead" logic that floated around my college in 2003.

A better idea would be to shut off the aid.

And off to Turkey Day.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 24, 2010, 02:22:47 pm »

Yeah.  If someone carpet bombed my town, killed my family, destroyed what little I had and came in riding tanks, I'd treat them as liberating heroes.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 24, 2010, 02:24:10 pm »

Yeah, THAT worker in Vietnam, Irak, And Afganistan.
You should write a book about it. For the title, I suggest "our road begin in Pyongyang".
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 24, 2010, 02:32:13 pm »

Not good comparisons at all. The canard that "all wars are inevitable followed by protracted resistance movements" is a myth. In two of those three countries, the opponent was already little more than a resistance already, while Iraq was a quagmire waiting to happen. Other than those three, resistance movements were only significant in WWII and the opening portion of the Cold War, and Germany wouldn't have had nearly the problem with partisans if the SS hadn't screwed things up.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 24, 2010, 02:38:16 pm »

Not good comparisons at all. The canard that "all wars are inevitable followed by protracted resistance movements" is a myth. In two of those three countries, the opponent was already little more than a resistance already, while Iraq was a quagmire waiting to happen. Other than those three, resistance movements were only significant in WWII and the opening portion of the Cold War, and Germany wouldn't have had nearly the problem with partisans if the SS hadn't screwed things up.
Care to provide some more relevant examples, in that case?

Preferably ones in which the country in question was rabidly nationalistic and had over 1 million soldiers.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 38