Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 38

Author Topic: North Korea fired artillery shells at South Korea  (Read 38602 times)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
Re: North Korea fired artillery shells at South Korea
« Reply #225 on: November 25, 2010, 10:32:25 pm »

Wait, who said jungle warfare?
Korea's mountainous is it not?
Mountainous jungle, I think.

Mountainous fuck-my-balls-fell-off cold in the winter. Not a jungle at all. Really Dwarfy terrain when you get down to it.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 26, 2010, 12:47:40 am »

I think he was thinking about Nam.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 26, 2010, 11:20:59 am »

Djungle doesn't mean much more than thick forest/forest with thick under- and middlegrowth. Doesn't have to be a tropical rainforest to count.
Of course, I have absolutely no idea whether such woods exist in the Korea region, so my nitpicking doesn't really have a point.
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 26, 2010, 02:16:27 pm »

Djungle doesn't mean much more than thick forest/forest with thick under- and middlegrowth. Doesn't have to be a tropical rainforest to count.
Of course, I have absolutely no idea whether such woods exist in the Korea region, so my nitpicking doesn't really have a point.

Not tropical=not a jungle:
a tropical forest in which trees and plants grow very closely together

an area of land overgrown with dense forest and tangled vegetation, typically in the tropics

Jungle (Sanskrit: जंगल) refers to the most dense, more or less impenetrable regions within a tropical rainforest with an abundance of animal and plant life.

No jungles in NK:
Vegetation on the highlands, especially around Mount Paektu, consists of coniferous trees such as the Siberian fir, spruce, pine, and Korean pine (Pinus koraiensis). The western lowlands were originally covered by temperate mixed forests with many types of plants, but continuous deforestation has left only remote patches of the original forests. Most of the lowlands are now cultivated, except for some of the hills that are covered with small pine groves mixed with oaks, lindens, maples, and birches. Along streams that are subject to flooding or where the ground is too stony for cultivation, reeds, sedges, wild mulberry trees, and Italian poplars are found. Common river fish include carp and eels.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 26, 2010, 02:22:49 pm »

Which is relevant to anything how?

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 26, 2010, 02:23:49 pm »

It means that the terrain won't and can't be as hard to navigate as, say, Vietnam.

Right now the national strategy for dealing with NK appears to be "Wait for daddy to die and see if his son is amenable to sanity".

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 26, 2010, 02:24:02 pm »

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 26, 2010, 02:26:11 pm »

Frankly, with the food situation in NK I'd be surprised if there were a lot of either left.

Yes. The North Koreans have probably eaten all the carp. *shudder*

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 26, 2010, 02:27:23 pm »

Which is relevant to anything how?
Mostly to nitpicking, and showing off how you do properly nitpick - with links to sources and all.
Also, during the "let's invade NK" phase of the discussion, there were people saying that it'd be another Quagrime with jungle warfare and communists, so it kinda aims at showing that no jungles=no jungle warfare.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 26, 2010, 02:29:14 pm »

Forest combat isn't much better...
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 26, 2010, 02:36:14 pm »

Mostly to nitpicking, and showing off how you do properly nitpick - with links to sources and all.
Also, during the "let's invade NK" phase of the discussion, there were people saying that it'd be another Quagrime with jungle warfare and communists, so it kinda aims at showing that no jungles=no jungle warfare.
Noone said "This invasion will fail purely because of the fact that North Korea is a tropical country full of forests" or anything of the sort.  Jungles only seemed to come up as a joke relating to Hearts of Iron.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 26, 2010, 02:38:07 pm »

Oh you can have a quagmire in mountains and deserts, too.

However, taking over authoritarian top-down societies is much easier than taking over semi-anarchic, semi-feudal societies with no clearly defined nation that will erupt into chaos as soon as the local dictator is toppled.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 26, 2010, 02:44:22 pm »

Yea, the whole herp derp lets invade naurt koreea and take controlz! seems slightly silly to me? What would you do with a barebones militaristic nation without its dictator? Pull off an Iraq again?

Stomping a small (and angry) nation like north korea is easy, but what do you do when the only govermental party they had toppled and suddenly need food, water and services that were once provided by said government?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 02:52:36 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 26, 2010, 02:57:36 pm »

Yea, the whole herp derp lets invade naurt koreea and take controlz! seems slightly silly to me? What would you do with a barebones militaristic nation without its dictator? Pull off an Iraq again?

Stomping a small (and angry) nation like north korea is easy, but what do you do when the only govermental party they had toppled and suddenly need food, water and services that were once provided by said government?
Technically, they are provided by China.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 26, 2010, 03:00:15 pm »

Herp derp lets invade then pretend nothing happened by letting china take over and make tibet 2.0?

Pro.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 38