Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noble Guest  (Read 1129 times)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
Noble Guest
« on: November 22, 2010, 08:53:08 pm »

Alright, so, a human diplomat arrived at my site and immediately keeled over dead. Intensely curious, I popped saved my file, copied to the desktop and abandoned the fort to go check out legends (One day that'll be an easier process, I hope). Anyways, it turned that she was the law-giver of the human civilization. At first I was very impressed, but then I thought it might just be because Toady has only a limited number of officials programmed in right now. Thoughts, fellow DFers?

EDIT: Also, weird things. In legends it says, naturally, in 1055 The Seal of Ages abandoned Rareroped (the fort). But immediately afterwards it says that The Pick of Spires formed in Rareroped. What is that all about?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 08:56:13 pm by Cespinarve »
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: Noble Guest
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 10:58:00 pm »

Anyone can be a diplomat just now.  I often end up meeting with human cheese makers and pump operators.  It's a funny coincidence that it actually sent a genuine noble in your case.

When you abandon, your fortress automatically generates a name for the reclaim group.  If you go to reclaim, you'll find that your reclaim group has that name as the default.  If you change it, the Legends mode will adjust accordingly, too.
Sanity is for the weak.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 12:17:02 am »

Anyone can be a diplomat just now.  I often end up meeting with human cheese makers and pump operators.  It's a funny coincidence that it actually sent a genuine noble in your case.

When you abandon, your fortress automatically generates a name for the reclaim group.  If you go to reclaim, you'll find that your reclaim group has that name as the default.  If you change it, the Legends mode will adjust accordingly, too.

Maybe the humans just respect him more than you.

That'd mean they respect him more than me too though.

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 08:23:03 am »

Maybe the humans just respect him more than you.

That'd mean they respect him more than me too though.

Welp, we can't have that. Release the giant war eagles.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 08:41:16 am »

The "generic" diplomats only showed up in version 0.31.12 - if you're running any later version, then Humans will send their law-giver once you have a Baron since law-givers seem to often be responsible for diplomacy. In fact, humans would send their law-giver under the same circumstances even in 0.31.12, but only the first year after you got a Baron (since they weren't being replaced properly).

In other words, this is completely normal.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 12:23:10 pm »

So... what killed her?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 12:28:22 pm »

Oldage?
Humans tend to send you their 150 year old diplomats.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 12:35:07 pm »

Aye but you never know. Worldgen could have messed up her lungs or something; causing her to suffocate on arrival.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 08:08:22 pm »

I checked Legends. Old age.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."