Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress -NOT RESPONDING- lag....  (Read 7819 times)

hormiga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress -NOT RESPONDING- lag....
« on: November 22, 2010, 07:55:35 pm »

I recently disabled temperature to increase my FPS (from about 50 to 80) while I dig my magma piston. Everything seems to be working great but know the program stalls out and I get the (not responding)  message. It doesn't crash but it just hangs for a minute or longer and then comes back.

I have never ever seen this before.... has anyone else experienced this?

Oxinabox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress -NOT RESPONDING- lag....
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 10:20:28 pm »

sounds  like the same problem i'm having:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=71382.0

glopso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 11:00:56 pm »

There's nothing wrong with 50 fps...

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 01:30:01 am »

What probably happens is that df needs to do a lot of work. So it lags for some time. If the frame is not uptdated in some time then your computer will think it's not responding. Are you by any chance near a large amout of freezing water? Or do you have a floodgate/door/whatever then opens and closes are large amout of land that was beeing pulled at the moment of the lag?
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

hormiga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 03:38:25 pm »

The frame rate seems just fine, like I said it started happening after I starting digging my 100+ level magma piston. I have never seen lag that results in the program hanging though.... usually the FPS just drops to single digits. My computer fans and hard drive go on full blast while it is not responding.

Is this normal or some sort of bug?

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 04:12:47 pm »

People have been complaning about this alot in 31.18.
I assume it's some code issue that Toady will be fixing in 31.19.

On a related issue, my current fort has started crashing every few minutes, methinks its because of the old "military positions not clearing between world changes" bug.
Your problem could be related to that? Have you changed worlds/current fortresses without closing DF first?
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

hormiga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 04:36:42 pm »

I haven't changed worlds or forts I just have one.

Also my recent game that I thought crashed (while I was writing the last post) was actually just stalled for about 15 minutes... if you are getting "not responding" try waiting a few (or more ) minutes to see if it comes back.

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 04:38:52 pm »

Damn, I thought I'd figured it out there :P

Maybe it's a similar thing to the freezing/thawing ice temporary lag?
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

hormiga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 04:49:59 pm »

It is not an FPS drop the program stops working (task manager says it is not responding)... it is like a crash but so far it always starts responding after 2-15 minutes.

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 04:54:32 pm »

Yeah, thats what happens when you're in an area with quite a large body of freezing water.

Maybe this 'half-crash' is related somehow?

What temperature is your biome? Temperate?

glopso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 11:05:21 pm »

It is not an FPS drop the program stops working (task manager says it is not responding)... it is like a crash but so far it always starts responding after 2-15 minutes.
Well my computer says that it's not responding all the time even when it's working.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 11:24:32 pm »

Yeah, it's a case of Windows making a query to DF, and DF responding in a non-standard way with "don't bother me!" Where "I'm working" is implied.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 01:28:31 am »

I haven't had this happen to me. You guys might want to check the bug tracker to see if something similar was reported, or make a report if it wasn't.