Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Cities in Motion  (Read 9951 times)

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cities in Motion
« on: November 22, 2010, 03:58:02 pm »

Have you guys seen this? It sort of looks like OTTD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FemH4GhEqEs

"So, let me tell you more about the game. Cities in Motion is a nice mix of management and construction. You can build a transportation network of stops, stations, and rails for many different vehicle types, and then adjust ticket prices, maintenance costs, and wages to achieve the perfect balance. The game begins in 1920 with a timeline of 100 years, and during the different eras, the cities’ economies will fluctuate according to global economical changes. So as the leader of the fleet, it’s important for you to check the budget often and learn to anticipate how the prices will develop to make the most of your business.

Why did we want to make Cities in Motion, you might ask? One of the main inspirations was our team's passion for transportation games. We love management simulations and are fond of watching a living, breathing city with numerous citizens going about their daily lives. Our main goal in Cities in Motion has been to give you this feeling of a bustling city, ever changing and growing, with lots of people living and working in it. Every person living in a city is unique: they have a name, a home, and a workplace. Citizens have their own cars but would prefer reasonably priced, fast public transportation to get to their destinations. Can you offer it to them?

We feel that putting an emphasis on the citizens brings much to the game, that transporting people might be the most exciting. We also wanted to focus on the architecture and on how to present the feel of real cities. We chose four European cities to be the canvas for your transportation network. Since each city has its own special atmosphere, we had team members visit Vienna, Berlin, and Amsterdam to get the proper feel and bring back pictures of the beautiful places and architecture that we could use in the game. "
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cities in Motion
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 12:09:23 pm »

Well, its nice to hear they are making it more hardcore than i initially thought they would.

looks promising to me.

btw - necroing because of this - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/01/05/impressions-cities-in-motion/

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 12:13:06 pm »

That first impression was nice. Got me interested in it.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 02:13:18 pm »

The game begins in 1920 with a timeline of 100 years, and during the different eras, the cities’ economies will fluctuate according to global economical changes

Oh God, no.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 04:36:29 pm »

yea.. looking forward to this after reading the RPS preview.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 04:58:22 pm »

The game begins in 1920 with a timeline of 100 years, and during the different eras, the cities’ economies will fluctuate according to global economical changes

Oh God, no.
well at least the first 10 years will be comparatively easy.
The great game of Warlocks!

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 02:51:12 pm »

Courtesy of rps again.

open beta has began and will last until february 20th

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/press/2011/2/open-beta-begins-for-cities-in-motion%E2%80%93-sign-up-today

Downloading as i post :)

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 04:03:39 pm »

awesome! thanks for the tip !

edit: wow, the game is awesome, such level of detail! and small download size! Might buy
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 05:02:26 pm by Krelian »

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 05:16:00 pm »

just finished the tutorial
Yea, its really interesting.
The only game even close to similar to it that i can think of is (O)TTD, but its... not that similar.

I'm not sure if its my type of game, but it seems to be the most/only accurate city transportation management game. OTTD was many things but really wasn't focused on the city-level... and was heavily spread out.. this is more like.. a simcity style city where you focus on a bunch of different ways to move people around, with lines, stops ect.. and all the people have somewhere they want to be, and can take multiple lines to get there... and where your transportaion dynamically effects how much traffic there is... and you can seriously fuck up/save the ability of people in the city to commute.. its.. unique.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 05:39:50 pm »

I'm not sure if its my type of game, but it seems to be the most/only accurate city transportation management game.
You should try simutrans.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 05:52:17 pm »

Havent played simutrans, are the passengers there treated as a regular commodity or do they have actual destination needs?

If anything to compare to, then id say Cities in Motion is more similiar to the simicity 4 transport system than transport tycoon.
obviously its much more detailed and complicated than simcity 4 transport system, but they share the same general concept.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 05:54:51 pm by burningpet »

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 05:58:57 pm »

Havent played simutrans, are the passengers there treated as a regular commodity or do they have actual destination needs?

If anything to compare to, then id say Cities in Motion is more similiar to the simicity 4 transport system than transport tycoon.
obviously its much more detailed and complicated than simcity 4 transport system, but they share the same general concept.

in simutrans every person has a destination, so if you dont provide their destination, they wont go up to your trains/buses/etc

so its actually quite hard to play in, say, huge maps, as it is very hard to have a station in the whole world.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 06:09:17 pm »

in simutrans every person has a destination, so if you dont provide their destination, they wont go up to your trains/buses/etc

so its actually quite hard to play in, say, huge maps, as it is very hard to have a station in the whole world.
Not limited to passengers though. Most factories only take resources from a small set of contractors and trying to bring in stuff from someone else just won't work. It's more pronounced with passengers though because there are more destinations for them.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 08:03:12 pm »

Very interesting game.  Not too much exciting going on, but it's fun.

I love watching the little people walk around.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 09:01:24 pm »

The open beta is up for anyone to try right now. It's a really fun game, with quite a bit of depth to passengers. If you were worried about just having passengers to worry about, don't be. Blue-collar workers, students, dropouts, and more classes of citizens like going to different places.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.
Pages: [1] 2 3