Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FPS drop in the new 31.18?  (Read 2451 times)

budthespud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FPS drop in the new 31.18?
« on: November 22, 2010, 03:46:00 pm »

Did the system requirements go way up all of a sudden after 40d?

So I was excited to finally go back to DF after a year or so hiatus from the game, and thought I'd try out the Bisasam 16x16 tileset since it looked so pretty in screenshots. But to my dismay, I was unable to get through embark without it hanging and the program eventually closing.

So I decided to try returning to the old curses800x600 tileset, and successfully embarking, but left with a huge drop in FPS. Around a frame every 2 seconds. Could it be my old 1280x1024 monitor? I usually had around 40-50FPS on embark on 40d, if I recall.

What am I doing wrong?

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
Re: FPS drop in the new 31.18?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 03:50:07 pm »

Have you tried both the SDL and Legacy versions?
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

budthespud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 04:03:14 pm »

I didn't know there was a difference! I did the SDL version.  Whats the Legacy version?

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 04:46:42 pm »

Did you try changing the print mode on init.txt? The default is a stable but rather slow mode on some machines, might wanna change to partial.

Oddly I noticed a slighly FPS increase from .17 to .18 .
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

OperatorPants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 05:03:43 pm »

I thought the switch from 40d to .31 had a killer FPS drop? Or was that ever fixed? Or did I imagine the whole thing?

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 05:09:39 pm »

I thought the switch from 40d to .31 had a killer FPS drop? Or was that ever fixed? Or did I imagine the whole thing?
Again, oddly enough, I barely noticed any drop from 40d to 31. on my laptop.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 05:49:39 pm »

The answer is, it's all voodoo.

Every map/world is vastly different, and will always perform differently.  This causes wild notions about version differences.

.16 did improve world generation speed considerably, as Toady has stated.  Any other perceived speed improvements are purely coincidental.

Offer void in Canada.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 07:00:45 pm »

The drop was so huge for me I had to forgoe my usual river colonization sites, and reduce the underworld layers from 3 to 2. That fixed it....but I'm hoping it goes away.

budthespud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 08:52:26 pm »

Well, I solved the FPS problem, but another has reared its head.

Is the bisasam tileset bugged? Because whenever I try to use the 16x16 set it gives me a black screened DF upon startup. I did manage to make it work before. My monitor can accept 1280x1024 maximum resolution, and it says that it has to have a minimum horizontal of 1280, so it should work.

[WINDOWEDX:1280]
[WINDOWEDY:400]
[FONT:bisasam_16x16.png]

That's how I have it in my init.txt, having saved the image in data/art folder.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 09:04:50 pm »

The reason to why I didn't notice the FPS drop may be because I started assigning DF to only one of my cores as soon as I started using the new version, so the improvement in FPS may have had masked the drop.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

budthespud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 09:19:30 pm »

So much for trying to go back to Mike Mayday's tileset, since it fails to work with the current version. The init remains unchanged so even when I overwrite the files with the Mayday http://github.com/rofl0r/df-mayday patches here, it does nothing. I am unsure which files need to be in the GRAPHICS section of the init.txt file for the graphics to work. I could just download the 31.14 Mayday DF, but that wouldn't be the fully-updated DF. Sigh. It didn't seem this difficult to get tiles working a year ago.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 09:26:53 pm »

The answer is, it's all voodoo.

Every map/world is vastly different, and will always perform differently.  This causes wild notions about version differences.

.16 did improve world generation speed considerably, as Toady has stated.  Any other perceived speed improvements are purely coincidental.

Offer void in Canada.
Pretty much this. I gained FPS from 40d to 31.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Larry421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 09:21:32 am »

Well, I solved the FPS problem, but another has reared its head.

Is the bisasam tileset bugged? Because whenever I try to use the 16x16 set it gives me a black screened DF upon startup. I did manage to make it work before. My monitor can accept 1280x1024 maximum resolution, and it says that it has to have a minimum horizontal of 1280, so it should work.

[WINDOWEDX:1280]
[WINDOWEDY:400]
[FONT:bisasam_16x16.png]

That's how I have it in my init.txt, having saved the image in data/art folder.

If you're using the SDL, just set them to 0x0.
Use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out, also the window is resize-able now.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 11:29:50 am »

The reason to why I didn't notice the FPS drop may be because I started assigning DF to only one of my cores as soon as I started using the new version, so the improvement in FPS may have had masked the drop.
Alternatively neither made any difference at all.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

budthespud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 11:36:26 pm »

Thanks for the advice and help everyone, I got bisasam working and the zoomable SDL stuff is a real treat, now I can zoom out and view everything going on without much difficulty! And the FPS is fine now too.

I do have one linguering question though, is it possible yet to edit out aquifers, or at least lessen their frequency on a custom map? I am wary of messing with the settings to find out, so I am hoping someone has figured this out.
Pages: [1] 2