Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wood log floor or Wood block floor?  (Read 10314 times)

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wood log floor or Wood block floor?
« on: November 22, 2010, 03:13:14 pm »

I'm torn between the two for what I should use for the flooring of my above ground structures. I'm leaning more towards wood logs because I envision them more as floor boards than actual tree trunks.

I'm interested in hearing the community's opinion on the matter.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: Wood log floor or Wood block floor?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 03:15:32 pm »

Wood blocks would be nice smooth floor boards while wood logs would be more along the lines of split logs just laid down on the floor.  So, do you want this rough floor that is made of half tree trunks or a floor made of actual planks?
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 03:18:05 pm »

I've used that reasoning that blocks would technically be "smoother" but I just can't get past envisioning them as big wood cubes.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 03:24:07 pm »

When I think of blocks, I always envision them as being a collection of smaller blocks such as when a dwarf build a wall with a stone block it's actually more like brickwork (It's best not to think about what dwarfs use for mortar.) then, when you have wood block floors it's something along the lines of those decorative floors people have that are made up of many small pieces of wood of varying sizes.

I dunno if that helps you any, though, since that's just my way of looking at it.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

theotherhiveking

• Bay Watcher
  • The ceiling... it beckons.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 03:25:20 pm »

Well, you only get one 'cube' per log, so i guess that 'cubes' are actually this: http://www.calicoproducts.com/cw3/assets/product_expanded/baltz-wood-plank.jpg

pretty thick, but in no way cubical.

So i'm chasing this wounded cheetah right? I go near this dried out pond AND SUDDENLY 21 FUCKING ELANDS COME OUT OF NOWHERE TO SHATTER MY BONES WITH THEIR THUNDEROUS HOOVES OF RAMPAGING MIGHT
Your eyes must be broken. You have gone blind most likely, but the paralysing is confusing.. Could you poast a screenshot?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 03:25:42 pm »

Well, for practical reasons wood blocks are better; they have higher value, making rooms built on them higher quality, and they don't appear in your "logs" stocks list that tells you how much usable wood you've presently got. For those reasons alone, I've always preferred blocks to raw materials. I prefer them for aesthetic reasons also, as I see blocks as "finished" building materials while raw ones like logs aren't actually cleaned up at all.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 04:05:48 pm »

I like using regular logs, because I don't care how expensive my buildings are and I don't want to bother having my carpenters cut my logs into neat little rectangles before I get around to build my stuff.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

atomicthumbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 04:17:21 pm »

(It's best not to think about what dwarfs use for mortar.)

Beard juice.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 04:22:16 pm »

(It's best not to think about what dwarfs use for mortar.)

Beard juice.

Blood
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels eat: job item lost or destroyed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 04:47:09 pm »

There was a thread about changing the term to wood planks in the game for reasons like this.

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 04:48:13 pm »

I think I'll be going with blocks now, wish there were stockpile options for wood blocks though. I could just be completely missing them though.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 11:49:29 pm »

When I think of blocks, I always envision them as being a collection of smaller blocks such as when a dwarf build a wall with a stone block it's actually more like brickwork (It's best not to think about what dwarfs use for mortar.)

Actually, a single unit of "blocks" in Dwarf Fortress consists of exactly two 8"x4"x2.5" bricks - the math (use weight and density to determine volume) actually works out quite well.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 01:43:09 am »

What are you, a human? Real Dwarves use rock for flooring!
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 01:47:23 am »

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.
Pages: [1] 2