Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hospital and the Useless Dwarf Question  (Read 869 times)

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hospital and the Useless Dwarf Question
« on: November 22, 2010, 02:17:20 pm »

So early on in the life of my current fort one of my dwarves went berserk after I was unable to meet his possession demands. He took out his anger and frustration on one of my migrant blacksmiths, shattering his hand and damaging a few of the nerves. The berserker was quickly put down by my woodcutter and the blacksmith was more or less fine even with his useless hand... for about three years. Now I have finally set up my hospital and the first thing my blacksmith does is cancels everything and goes to rest. The Doctor sutures the guy up and does no more. The blacksmith has been laying in the hospital for several months now with no real signs of wanting to get back to work and his injured hand is no better off.

Is he eventually going to get back up or should I find a way to dispose of the slacker?

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hospital and the Useless Dwarf Question
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 02:19:05 pm »

The hospital system can be buggy.  Was it a clean cut, or was his arm broken as well?  If it was broken, you may need a splint.  Also, its possible that you need water and soap to clean the patient.

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 02:42:43 pm »

It possibly could be because of the lack of soap but I do have splints, crutches, and plaster powder in the hospital zone even though the Activity Zone doesn't recognize that they're there. Also does the well/water have to be in the hospital?

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 02:43:42 pm »

check his status he may have early suffered infections and is just waiting to succumb to it

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 02:54:01 pm »

check his status he may have early suffered infections and is just waiting to succumb to it

I don't think so, I haven't been able to find anything about infections and he was productive until I designated my hospital.

Akivara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 03:10:18 pm »

It possibly could be because of the lack of soap but I do have splints, crutches, and plaster powder in the hospital zone even though the Activity Zone doesn't recognize that they're there. Also does the well/water have to be in the hospital?

They're in coffers, right?  Not a stockpile?

Plaster powder and crutches are bugged anyway right now, as far as I know.

backlands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 03:13:08 pm »

I found that if it has been a while since the dwarf broke the bone(s) they may have healed 'broken' and that the doctors wont do anything because the bones are technically healed.

I think that happens, honestly not 100% sure about it though but that could be it.

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 03:15:44 pm »

They're in coffers, right?  Not a stockpile?

Plaster powder and crutches are bugged anyway right now, as far as I know.

I did not know that those items can be put into coffers.

Also I'm almost positive it healed broken but I was hoping for the off-chance that the Doctor would rebreak the hand and set the bones, although it does say his hand is shattered.

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 04:49:22 pm »

Ok it was definitely because I had a stockpile set up instead of chests. Treatment has resumed and hopefully my Doctor will be able to reset my Blacksmith's hand after he finishes eating.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 06:10:01 pm »

He'll then drink and sleep but yeah that should sort you out.  you often need to add more containers if they all fill with cloth rather than stuff you wanted
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.