Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Slaughter List Advanced! Or Which one am I slaughtering?  (Read 2185 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: Slaughter List Advanced! Or Which one am I slaughtering?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 05:19:45 am »

It would also help to have marker to distinguish between free roaming animal / chained animal / caged animal.

Have you considered nicknames?

Huh, you can actually nickname animals?

Or you could not worry about breeding programs, I suppose.

Remember, that's player-induced-difficulty. :|

tbh, i am more worried about ending up without breeding pair of animals by accident and waiting years for caravan carrying whatever i am missing.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 10:28:01 am »

tbh, i am more worried about ending up without breeding pair of animals by accident and waiting years for caravan carrying whatever i am missing.

Thats why when I slaughter I start at the top and go "horse, male, skip, horse male kill, kill, kill, there's a female, skip, there's two cows, skip...." and when I get to the bottom I know I have two animals that aren't getting slaughtered left for more breeding.

Honestly, I haven't tried.  I wouldn't be surprised one way or the other, but it would make denoting which cow you care about real easy.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2010, 02:36:25 am »

Thats why when I slaughter I start at the top and go "horse, male, skip, horse male kill, kill, kill, there's a female, skip, there's two cows, skip...." and when I get to the bottom I know I have two animals that aren't getting slaughtered left for more breeding.

Honestly, I haven't tried.  I wouldn't be surprised one way or the other, but it would make denoting which cow you care about real easy.

I tried looking for it and did not find it, so i was suprised ...

I do the same thing for filtering animals, but it gets really annoying fast. (i go for two males, three females). Especially if you have quite a lot of species.

I had to modify my breeding plans to include only cows and dogs (which i do not slaughter) to stay sane.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2010, 05:15:05 am »

The easiest way I find to do it, is slaughter all but a male, and say 6 females, chain the seven remaining in separate rooms. Leave the doors locked and wait for the has given birth message. When you see this lovely, you cage all and every one to be birthed, then go to the actual ones, and set the females(or males depending on what you want) to be slaughtered, and open the door. Then release the animals when they grow up to either be slaughtered more, or for training. This works okay, and I currently have 6 different breeds successfully mating. Oh, and kill every damn migrant animal that comes to your fort.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Emiteal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://emperial.deviantart.com
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2010, 02:34:03 pm »

But it's still so time-consuming to make sure you're slaughtering the weakest to improve the breeding stock which I think is the crux of the problem and why we need either a handy util that puts it all together, or something changed about the slaughter window at some point down the line so you can [v]iew the attributes of what you're designating for slaughter from the kitchen slaughter menu. Just listing certain quantities males and females doesn't really address the root of the problem, as lovely as it learning about how everyone likes to keep 2 females and 3 males or 5 females and 1 male or whatnot in their forts.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2010, 02:36:43 pm »

Alternatively you can nickname the ones you want to keep and just slaughter everything else.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Emiteal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://emperial.deviantart.com
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2010, 02:46:31 pm »

Yeah, that was on page one. I haven't tried it myself yet. I'm waiting for the lazy pack for .18 before I fire up a new fort and give it a whirl, just because I'm too lazy to run around grabbing utils and turning on graphics at this point.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 03:53:25 pm »

Good to see a discussion and support for this idea.

For me the breeding only refers to the best meat for a kill,  Sure you can slaughter to weak too, but mainly it's so I know for sure that  Bull #3 in the list is in fact the "Muscular, Fatty, and over all gigantic" when food is scarce and not the "Small, weak, and tiny" runt off spring of something, and yes it helps to get you the best "mutant cows" (like the butterball turkey's that can't even breed without human interference cause they're to big to mount the female turkey)

In closing, glad to see some discussions and I may have to try a few of the other round-about ways.
Pages: 1 [2]