Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Slaughter List Advanced! Or Which one am I slaughtering?  (Read 2183 times)

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
Slaughter List Advanced! Or Which one am I slaughtering?
« on: November 22, 2010, 01:52:30 pm »

I might not have searched enough and I apologize, and I know people want to game UI to be less confusing, but I think it would be nice if we can [v]iew the animals on the Pet/Slaughter/Animal list,  from the list  (Aka see the description.)  this way if you do animal Eugenics selective breeding, you can put to rest the lesser cattle, or slaughter the biggest/beefiest Bull/Cow/Dog/Cat/Wolf in your animal stocks.

By which I mean,  you go to the animal page in z then hit v while selecting the animal you want to slaughter/make pet, and it takes you to a desc page of said animal.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 01:54:46 pm by Kaelem Gaen »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Slaughter List Advanced! Or Which one am I slaughtering?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 09:43:15 am »

If you're doing selective breeding, just allow your dwarves to adopt the ones you want to breed.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 10:11:43 am »

Or use the v menu.
*Hugs*

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 10:49:05 am »

Dwarves don't always adopt, and I'm mainly looking from the slaughter perspective, when you set them to be slaughtered the order in the U list or the V-list in the cage is not the order they're in on the Slaughter list,  I think it's something like  the order they arrived to the fortress in, which is a pain to remember, I mean sure you can do "set this animal to be slaughtered" but I think that only works when they're outside a cage.

Anyways that was my idea, I apologize if I didn't clear it up more, or made it more confusing

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 11:00:23 am »

Have you considered pitting the animals instead of caging them?
*Hugs*

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 12:16:51 pm »

Have you considered nicknames?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 12:29:13 pm »

Nicknames get annoying really quickly when livestock is your main source of income/food/defence.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 12:50:26 pm »

Nicknames get annoying really quickly when livestock is your main source of income/food/defence.

All you have to do is nick the ones your KEEPING.  Once you do that it should be pretty obvious what happens to the rest.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 02:01:14 pm »

All you have to do is nick the ones your KEEPING.  Once you do that it should be pretty obvious what happens to the rest.

I refer you back to what I just said.

I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 02:52:57 pm »

Or you could not worry about breeding programs, I suppose.

Remember, that's player-induced-difficulty. :|

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 03:19:49 pm »

I chain, one male in the male hall, then 4-6 females in the war pen, and butcher pens. It's a pain to figure out which ones to chain, but after I get that down, I butcher/train/cage every other animal in the fort. Would love to see the system reworked. It's a pain. I don't care how they do it, as long as it works.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 03:27:38 pm »

Until selective breeding is made easier, I just slaughter everything except for some cows, some horses and whatever my best warbeast is at the time.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 08:08:49 am »

Dwarves don't always adopt, and I'm mainly looking from the slaughter perspective, when you set them to be slaughtered the order in the U list or the V-list in the cage is not the order they're in on the Slaughter list,  I think it's something like  the order they arrived to the fortress in, which is a pain to remember, I mean sure you can do "set this animal to be slaughtered" but I think that only works when they're outside a cage.

Anyways that was my idea, I apologize if I didn't clear it up more, or made it more confusing
A adopted pet will be named, and one that is not adopted, but has adoption allowed, will still be marked as such in the z-menu (which is the fastest and easiest way to slaughter them). Thus, you will easily be able to tell.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 06:40:33 pm »

Anything that helps breeding is welcome in my book. :/

Immigrants bring tame cows all the time so the gene pool is infected .. and the animals I trapped risk spore-impregnation because there are wild ones about .. and the animals that the elves bring me.. well I can't exactly be selective with them. If they only have skinny diarrhea-prone gorillas then that's what I'm breeding.

A troublesome animal menu almost tips the boat. I think OP has a great idea in simplifying it!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Emiteal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://emperial.deviantart.com
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 02:17:40 am »

My meat industry is one of my two biggest problems at the moment, for reasons the OP stated. I just want two things: to be able to sort my animals so I can tell how many I have of each, and to be able to easily view their attributes and assign them for slaughter.

A pet system is not helpful because eventually I may want to slaughter some of my stock as the offspring are born with better traits without losing my fort due to tantrum spiral. A nickname system is doable. Since I hadn't thought to try that yet, I'll give it a go on my next fort and see how feasible I find it. Unfortunately, this will end up with a lot of animals having nicknames like "Enormous Fat Brown."  :-\

There actually was some discussion on reddit and someone said he was going to make a utility that would streamline the whole sort-your-animals-and-slaughter-them deal. I don't know if he did. I know Runesmith has the capability to do most of what's needed, but it's not designed for that and is rather unwieldy for this purpose.

Breeding may be a "player-induced difficulty" but the meat industry itself is well-established, and something that makes it easier to slaughter the animals you intend to slaughter is reasonable, imo.
Pages: [1] 2