Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible to order your militia to kill a dwarf after a failed mood?  (Read 1071 times)

johnny_cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The dwarf in question is a fresh faced migrant glassmaker who went into a fey mood the moment he set foot on the map. He wanted a regular glass furnace, but I only have magma furnaces because my fortress is in the perfectly shaped mouth of a volcano. He doesn't have any friends, he's just running around gibbering. I want to kill him before he does any damage.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to order your militia to kill a dwarf after a failed mood?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 12:57:55 pm »

Don't worry, he's no threat.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 12:58:31 pm »

You can't order your own dwarves to kill him, and even if you did you'd probably trigger a loyalty cascade that resulted in all of your dwarves killing each other.  The good news is that dwarves don't change what kind of insanity they're in once they go insane.  If he's running around babbling, it means he's not berserk, so he won't kill anyone, but will just wander around till he dies.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 01:19:43 pm »

Also, you can totally just build a normal glass furnace to accommodate him. You probably already know that (or found out after his mood, anyway), but just in case.

And yeah. If he was going to snap violently, he'd have done it already. He's just plain ol' nuts.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 02:34:52 pm »

One thing you can do is station a military dwarf near to the dwarf that you're worried is going to snap. (Usually when they're camped in a workshop and you know you can't get them what they want.) If they go violently insane, they'll attack the first dwarf they see, which will be the military dwarf. And the armed military dwarf will strike down your unarmed psycho every time...unless they were like your legendary blacksmith or something.

If I don't bother with that, I just wall in crazy-looking dwarves I know I can't save. Wait until they get into a lockable room and just forbid it until they starve to death. Or build walls around their workshop and disassemble them later to get the corpse for burial.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

johnny_cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 04:51:03 pm »

NVM, the fort just got wiped out by a goblin ambush.

I guess outfitting your 3 dwarf army completely in adamantine isn't enough to stop them from being killed instantly by a swarm of goblin archers.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 04:54:01 pm »

NVM, the fort just got wiped out by a goblin ambush.

I guess outfitting your 3 dwarf army completely in adamantine isn't enough to stop them from being killed instantly by a swarm of goblin archers.

You do not understand warfare.
First, cheesemakers.
Then, war animals.
Then, military.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]