Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Game Companies You Miss  (Read 7204 times)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: Game Companies You Miss
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2010, 09:49:04 pm »

I loved FFV the most. It gave us the job system. FFIII showed us jobs, but FFV made it.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2010, 09:59:28 pm »

I would LOVE if there was a balanced, fun job system.  Like, something that rewarded you for changing it up more often, instead of equipping das ubercombo while ignoring less universally useful combos.  Also, job systems are pretty crummy in games where you can grind.  I've never quite seen it done correctly...  I think it would be cool if using a job de-powered it after a while until you went back to rest, so you didn't just grab level 1 white magic in two minutes, then make everyone a monk + white magic for the first half of the game (changing out sometimes to level other stuff up once you pick up the martial arts skill) and had to pick your jobs strategically.  But then it starts turning into a Vancian job system, which is just weird, and you might as well be playing FF1...  Um, has there been any good job-system game since V?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2010, 10:34:33 pm »

FFT had a neat job system, but it was very vulnerable to grinding. You basicaly just walke around the world map until you got a random encounter, did the same stuff to get job points, and get new abilities.

I feel a FFT game works better on a non-linear framework. FFTA got it right, but also very very wrong by throwing away all the nice plotline and feel from FFT and putting cutesy stock cliche plotline in its place. FFT felt like something out of a history book, with betrayals and murders and stuff, while FFTA just had "we came frum anotha dimension 2 save dis world from evuls!" etc.

I mean, FFT had a sidequest system, but you just sent your units to take care of it while you went about on the main plot, and then they came back and reported back, plus there were treasures you could find this way. These would add these nice logs to our logbook, which were interesting to read and really immersed yourself in the world they crafted for FFT. It'd be great if you could actualy participate on them rather then just send your units and wait them to return.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 10:39:55 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2010, 10:54:37 pm »

Wow, I thought I would just list a bunch without reading the thread but reading the first page has already given me a bunch of new ones.

Let's see...

Dynamix
Square
Enix
Origin Systems
Bullfrog Productions
Troika Games
Black Isle Studios
Ritual Entertainment
Terminal Reality (who still exist apparently but you wouldn't know it to look recent and upcoming releases.)
Maxis Software
Digital Anvil
Relic Entertainment (I'm sorry but Dawn of War is just dull)
Microprose Software
TSR
Bethesda Softworks (Before 2006)
Infocom
Monolith Productions (before 2005)
Monolith Soft
Legend Entertainment
Shiny Entertainent
Lucasarts' creativity

I'm sure I'm missing something.

EDIT: Oh yeah:

Microsoft Games
Accolade
Cavedog Entertainment
Planet Moon Studios (who have apparently made a bunch of games I've never heard of after 2003)
Illusion Softworks
Volition, Inc. (What? another Third person shooter from the makers of Decent Freespace?)
Bungie (Bungie ceased to exist in 2000.)
Reality Pump (Stop making mediocre action RPGs and make another Earth game damn it!)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 11:09:05 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2010, 11:02:41 pm »

Troika (Arcanum, ToEE, VtM: Bloodlines)
Elixir Studios (Evil Genius, Republic)

To a lesser extent:
Microprose, Black Isle, Bullfrog

Proof that art and money don't mix.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2010, 11:04:16 pm »

Yes. Creature Labs. Basically, it's Spore done right, 10 years before it was made. If you don't miss it, you haven't played the games.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 22, 2010, 11:08:29 pm »

art and money don't mix.
*sigh*
This is the whole thread in one sentence.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2010, 11:09:35 pm »

Yes. Creature Labs. Basically, it's Spore done right, 10 years before it was made. If you don't miss it, you haven't played the games.

I wasn't talking about games, I was talking about companies.

EDIT: Ion Storm (Austin)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 11:16:15 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2010, 11:45:12 pm »

I know. Basically, Creature Labs put out 3 games. (Creatures, Creatures 2, Creatures 3)
Then they made two simplified child versions  of the games. Then they were all but bankrupt, then they made an expansion of sorts to 3 called Creatures: Docking Station. Ever since then, Creatures Labs has gone poof. The games have been repackaged a few times, but no new new games. Twas truly depressing, because Creatures have been the best A-Life games ever since they were made.

Desdichado

• Bay Watcher
  • The Anti-Zealot Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 23, 2010, 12:09:29 am »

One mention of Sir-tech in 7 pages? You all ought to be ashamed.
"I have a puppy instead", which while maintaining a polite tone, is quiet, calculating character assassination against Toady. Do some of you not see it as such, backstabbing?

At least spell my name right.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 23, 2010, 12:17:06 am »

Sierra / Dynamix

Loved almost all of their quest series. Quest for glory is plain awesome! Space quest are THE favorite series of mine...

and Bullfrog  :'(
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2010, 12:42:57 am »

Sierra / Dynamix

Loved almost all of their quest series. Quest for glory is plain awesome! Space quest are THE favorite series of mine...

and Bullfrog  :'(

How can you forget to mention Aces and Tribes!?

I know. Basically, Creature Labs put out 3 games. (Creatures, Creatures 2, Creatures 3)
Then they made two simplified child versions  of the games. Then they were all but bankrupt, then they made an expansion of sorts to 3 called Creatures: Docking Station. Ever since then, Creatures Labs has gone poof. The games have been repackaged a few times, but no new new games. Twas truly depressing, because Creatures have been the best A-Life games ever since they were made.

Oh yeah, I have one of those games.  I can't remember which.  It was kind of strange and confusing and I had no idea what I was doing. :(

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 23, 2010, 01:18:17 am »

3D0, I will miss you forever. There will never be a true Might and Magic game until they are revived.
3DO?  Meh.  I miss New World Computing more.
Yeah, New World Computing was the team working on the (Heroes of) Might and Magic series, for a while under 3DO, using Jon Van Caneghem's vision and ideas. However, Starting with Might and Magic VII, he lost more and more control to Trip Hawkins, until Might and Magic IX, where Trip fired almost all of the original team, dissatisfied with the sales on MM8, and hired a new and completely untested team. It ended as expected with 3DO going bankrupt and being taken by Ubisoft, who then proceeded to discard all the previous work on the series (what we would give to get the original plot Jon worked out!) and create some usual main stream crud.

However, there is hope for a true Might and Magic game, for this shows promise (main forum few visit). I realize it's in a sad state because of that Vector's vision and other conflicts, but Corlagon there has the entire history of the series memorized, and has a decent idea of where Caneghem was going with it, even if he doesn't have the original works.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

mothra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 23, 2010, 05:48:58 am »

psygnosis

it's just not the same company that made neat amiga games back when.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 23, 2010, 06:35:25 am »

-Looking Glass (Terra Nova, Thief),
-Origin (Ultima series, Crusader games)
-Black Isle (Fallout 1 and 2, Planescape Torment)

♥ Ultima
♥ Thief
♥ PST, BG 1+2, FO 1+2

3DO?  Meh.  I miss New World Computing more.

♥ Might & Magic

Really, this is almost the entirety of the games I periodically replay.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 06:37:46 am by Earthquake Damage »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10