Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: How many of you use tilesets?  (Read 3501 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: How many of you use tilesets?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 11:32:35 pm »

I can't imagine playing without a tileset, not with this much going on at once. I could probably play something simple like Rogue though. The interface could use some work, but all the intricacies and depth in the game are phenominal.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 12:09:30 am »

Incidentally, my academic conclusion was that DF is a poorly-designed game, with a confusing interface, dozens of bugs, and a ridiculous learning curve, but none of the fans care because the challenge is part of the !!Fun!!.
Don't you mean incomplete? The design itself is quite frankly amazing.
According to the criteria I was supposed to use to evaluate the game, DF failed every category. (Half of them were things like "intuitive" and "easy to understand", which DF ain't by a long shot.)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 12:16:07 am by proxn_punkd »

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 02:34:27 am »

Incidentally, my academic conclusion was that DF is a poorly-designed game, with a confusing interface, dozens of bugs, and a ridiculous learning curve, but none of the fans care because the challenge is part of the !!Fun!!.
According to the criteria I was supposed to use to evaluate the game, DF failed every category. (Half of them were things like "intuitive" and "easy to understand", which DF ain't by a long shot.)
Those are criterias for a program. DF is still in alpha. Go figure.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Demki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 02:47:59 am »

ASCII
I find it easy, once I got used to it. I actually once imagined what would look like a good scene, but instead of characters, it was the symbols from the ASCII with legs and arms =|

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 02:59:33 am »

When I started playing a few years ago, I was using the mayday tileset but since v 31.01 I just was too lazy to download the tileset and started to learn the ascii look and stuck to it since.

logismo

• Bay Watcher
  • the answer to life the universe and everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2010, 04:21:14 am »

I'm fine with both. I really like tile sets that present liquids in numbers though, that is simply easy to reference and some other objects as well but ascii does a good job as well and keeps me using my imagination more. :p
"Only the educated are free." - Epictetus

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2010, 04:37:44 am »

ASCII.

DB_curses_12x12 gives a nice clear sight.

I can't really read the tileset screenshots, and I'd have to squint to see the tiny differences between the different professions of your dwarves in them.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2010, 06:00:54 am »

ASCII. In roguelikes, that's a stylistic choice... but in DF I find it also greatly increases readability. Playing in shades of green only and pretending you're looking at the matrix is also good immature fun.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2010, 06:04:01 am »

ASCII forever. I'm an old roguelike veteran and your tilesets make me feel queasy.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2010, 06:22:35 am »

I like the mayday tileset because it is easy on the eyes, I have always used tilesets on roguelikes since I first played Moria on the Amiga about 20 ish years ago.

Each to their own. :)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2010, 06:29:16 am »

ASCII. In roguelikes, that's a stylistic choice... but in DF I find it also greatly increases readability. Playing in shades of green only and pretending you're looking at the matrix is also good immature fun.
Amen brother/sister.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2010, 07:43:38 am »

I've done both. Prefer a tileset. Considering making my own, not necessarily for community use, just for a project, and something to do.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2010, 09:58:09 am »

CP437 all the way. Another nethack veteran.

That's pretty lame. DF isn't meant to be intuitive, and to honestly evaluate how well a game is designed you need to look at how well it meets the goals its designer intended. Not being easy to understand is only a problem if the game designer meant it to be easy to understand and failed. Triviality of understanding is what turns me off of most games. Once I totally understand a game it's boring. I don't have the addictible personality to get anything out of grinding through an MMO. I play things that challenge my understanding.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2010, 11:07:08 am »

I like my variation of Hanuman's curse tileset. I edited the dwarves to look like the classic game dwarves.

I like the ASCII look but I dislike the stretched shape. Perfectly square tiles is perfect.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

Wyvern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2010, 11:14:49 am »

I can't stand the standard ASCII, primarily because the tiles are rectangular.  How am I supposed to play a heavily architectural game when the visual representation of space is inaccurate?  That said, I'm not too fond of the more elaborate graphics sets either (like Mayday).  Too busy.  I currently use Guybrush's tileset, which is pretty simple (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Tileset_repository#Guybrush)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5