Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to keep dorfs happy [A tutorial to avoid tantrum spirals]  (Read 3882 times)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: How to keep dorfs happy [A tutorial to avoid tantrum spirals]
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 10:33:13 am »

Mines are 1x1 over a plain bed. They get happiness from walking over other people's plain bed AND from walking on to their plain bed AND from sleeping on it. Everytime 2 guys take break on their bed they talk and get happier also. Basically, dorm with a bed for every dwarf. Making dwarves to immune to sadness is also very easy: just place the butcher workshop in the middle of your dining hall/meeting area. Seeing dogs and cats getting butchered and transformed into dinner kill all kind of emotions quickly.

Surviving tantrum spiral: wall in a dwarf with no friends who has already produced an artifact. Drop food into his room and let him to live in absolute isolation and he'll see your fort through many many wipes.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 10:39:26 am »

Pointed out a few times already but its 'the straw that broke the dwarfs back' that gets these things running.

The advice in the OP is fairly sound though, taking these precautions will help to reduce tantrums, any positivity you can pile on before the crap hits will make your dwarves take a little bit more of life's crap before snapping.

However spirals are not outright avoidable, sometimes its just gonna go to shit.  Even with almost the entire fort ecstatic from legendary room/food/drink/bed a badly timed or tough fb gutting  a couple of socialite haulers can chain-react and cause the full on riots.  If you got some kind of law enforcement up already its almost uglier
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 12:36:03 pm »

A much shorter (albeit more exploity) list of what to do to avoid tantrum spirals:

1: Set up a 1 tile meeting area.
2: Brew lots of awesome booze.
3: Cook lots of awesome meals.

Dwarves that have lots of socialization along with good food and drink can all sleep in the mud for years and still be ecstatic.  After long enough you can even kill off all of the best liked dwarves in the fortress and only have the slimmest of chances that even a single dwarf will tantrum.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 01:05:32 pm »

A much shorter (albeit more exploity) list of what to do to avoid tantrum spirals:

1: Set up a 1 tile meeting area.
2: Brew lots of awesome booze.
3: Cook lots of awesome meals.

Dwarves that have lots of socialization along with good food and drink can all sleep in the mud for years and still be ecstatic.  After long enough you can even kill off all of the best liked dwarves in the fortress and only have the slimmest of chances that even a single dwarf will tantrum.
4. watersprayer on adjacent tile statue from above (thats the miracle device)

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 01:12:50 pm »

However spirals are not outright avoidable, sometimes its just gonna go to shit.  Even with almost the entire fort ecstatic from legendary room/food/drink/bed a badly timed or tough fb gutting  a couple of socialite haulers can chain-react and cause the full on riots.  If you got some kind of law enforcement up already its almost uglier

But It's so much fun watching the captain of the guard go "Hammertime" on the entire population....  not to mention that he gets "Doesn't care about anything anymore" and a cool name like Stylish Prisons.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Urk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2010, 04:16:25 pm »

I just had forgotten beast come to my fortress and kill about 20 dwarfs, resulting unhappiness caused only one more death when mayor beat to death some poor worker who was cleaning his room, otherwise everyone was soon mentally stable again.

So how i keep my dwarfs sane:
- No meeting areas or any other areas where they can have social life
- or otherwise very large and many meeting areas to keep everyone away from others
- everyone has nice own room, so they are working or sitting alone in their rooms

Now when some neighbors get killed no one cares.

Think about it, if you live in big city and you know lot about many peoples problems wouldn't you have sad thoughts and tantrums all the time when people you care about die/divorce/get ill/suffer injustice/etc? But if you just stay home and play masterwork game like dwarf fortress which menaces with spikes of awesome, they you will be ecstatic all the time even if goblins kill your neighbor.

zmc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2011, 02:39:29 pm »

So here is a very basic tutorial on ways to keep you dwarves happy.

Yo.
I used your guide to avoid tantrum spirals but then a Forgotten Beast came and ate 30 of my 150 dwarves and everyone else went melancholic or stark raving mad.
Your guide sucks.

:P
This is Dwarf Fortress, not some pansy game that you can actually win.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2011, 03:05:27 pm »

Make bedrooms, don't assign them to anyone, and don't have meeting halls.  When people arrive, they claim an empty bed, and stay there when idle.  They either work and don't talk, or sit in their room and don't talk.  No friends = no tantrum spiral.  Once I realized this, I never had another spiral.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2011, 04:20:45 pm »

About cooks cooking your seeds:  You should go to the z-menu for kitchens and change the settings to something reasonable.

I make it avoid cooking all my precious booze and seeds, let it brew all my brewable things and then cook the unimportant stuff (but not tallow... use that for soap, because it makes only cheap meals).
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2011, 04:23:33 pm »

After a while, I find it's ok to cook seeds.  After a few years, you get 100 plump helmets and 700 seeds.  Yeah, it's probably ok to cook some at that point...
Pages: 1 [2]