Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Who do YOU Give the Best Tombs?  (Read 9469 times)

EvilFuzzy9

• Bay Watcher
  • The Uncommon Loon
    • View Profile
    • My Fanfiction.net Profile (Note: A lot of the information is outdated by virtue of the fact that I'm too lazy to change it)
Who do YOU Give the Best Tombs?
« on: November 21, 2010, 07:52:04 pm »

I tend to give the best tombs to dwarves I like.  In one fort I'm running presently, I have a planter who was injured in a fall after a construction accident.  When I checked his status, I found out he had a kill list: one elf merchant, likely from the fort's first elf caravan, because at that time I conscripted all the dorfs to kill the elf merchants so we could claim all their food.  The injuries this planter sustained from his fall have left him unable to stand.  At around the same time as the accident, my one and only blacksmith was struck with inspiration and, after gathering supplies, made this:

It's one of the two artifacts this fort has produced (the other being a wooden cabinet produced by the planter's lover, incidentally enough).  Feeling sorry for the poor fellow, I changed his job title to "Wounded Veteran" and set the artifact pewter coffin in the center of one of my standard 5x5 burial chambers north of the tomb prepared for the fort's militia commander a burial.  I made the chamber (adorned with six mudstone statues) a tomb for the planter wounded veteran and his legendary carpenter lover.  If they ever get married and have kids (which would be nice, since the planter has some decent stats), I'll add coffins for them too.

(The coffin sarcophagus doesn't show up in the screenshot, but it's in the tile north of the brown coffin in the room with six statues and south of the cursor.)

What about you guys? Who do you give priority when designating tombs?

the great fool

• Bay Watcher
  • the Elf butcher
    • View Profile
Re: Who do YOU Give the Best Tombs?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 08:00:08 pm »

I tend to lean towards my warriors, you know: the dwarf that killed a dragon and two giants with his fists and his shoe.

but ya mostly my really good soldiers, and nobles (as long as they aren't crazy and arresting my dwarves for no reason)
An Elf in a cage is worth two in the forest

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 08:16:55 pm »

Only to people who complain about not having them. I usually just shove everyone into winding passages that compose large catacombs filled with unused coffins (as I suck at this game and never reach a point where dwarves start dying en masse).

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 08:43:34 pm »

Only to people who complain about not having them. I usually just shove everyone into winding passages that compose large catacombs filled with unused coffins (as I suck at this game and never reach a point where dwarves start dying en masse).

I just LOVE how that is considered a need-to-meet criterion for Dwarf Fortress success.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 08:47:37 pm »

I rarely give tombs.  I once gave one to my mayor, because he liked electrum and maces, so I had no problems fulfilling his demands.  I had some fun making enough electrum blocks to create a 3x3 (so 4x4 with walls) electrum tomb with four electrum statues and an electrum sarcophagus at the top of the mountain, overlooking the volcano.  The rest of my dwarves were placed on the rim of the volcano, which for whatever reason had an overhang (I might have dug it, or it might have been natural, don't remember). 

Other than that, as the other guy said, I only make tombs for nobles that want them, and I only do so by engraving an area.

TheMasterTurtle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a turtle and a master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 09:47:51 pm »

TC has a VBA emulator.

My awsome dwarves get cool tombs

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 09:51:03 pm »

I like making very complex catacombs which are symmetric across both the x and y axis.  These get filled with hundreds of tombs and only about 10 get filled...gah i need to go work on DOMAIN MKII
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 10:16:26 pm »

I always give the first dwarf to die his/her own tomb, filled with golden statues and the like. Later, when I have time, I build a large burial complex with different z-levels to varying 'quality' tombs. So highest z-level is mass graves, then small tombs and finally the larger and better tombs. I usually reserve these bottom tombs for my warriors and nobles.

EvilFuzzy9

• Bay Watcher
  • The Uncommon Loon
    • View Profile
    • My Fanfiction.net Profile (Note: A lot of the information is outdated by virtue of the fact that I'm too lazy to change it)
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 10:44:34 pm »

In addendum to my earlier post: of the three to be injured in the accident (the two others being a child who lost their ability to grip and a gem setter who had a few wounds but no readily apparent health problems), the planter is the only one to have not succumbed to infection.  If bedridden dwarves can marry and have children, then I hope they take after him.

Also, for the dwarves I don't really care about one way or another, I usually just stuff all their coffins together in order to save room for the ones I like.  Also, this planter's tomb is apparently considered a grand mausoleum.  For comparison, my Militia commander, who has a tomb with four bauxite statues and a bauxite coffin, is listed as having merely a grave (and the blacksmith who sleeps in there considers it merely meager quarters, though that's likely because of differing criteria).

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 10:50:37 pm »

since there are ghosts now i tomb only barones and upwards for the minimum req. any other ghost who is  probably attacking my dwarfes get a slab at the dinner room ..for achievement (usually those running berserk having been put down by soldiers)... rest of the dead i rather let party all nigh long :)

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 11:33:10 pm »

I give the starting 7 tombs, but my expedition leader got a unique one.

That dwarf's tomb is 10x10, every inch engraved, and filled with platinum statues.

Everything is magma proof, so when the time comes, I'm going to flood it, to preserve it forever.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 11:41:39 pm »

It varies from fort to fort, but generally the dead are given proper respect and have their burial plots prepared upon death.  Only merchants, pets, and miscellaneous outsiders get put in a communal graveyard; the rest get their own personal crypt in the catacombs upon death.  Seeing as the mortality rate in any given fort of mine is less than 1 Dwarf a year, I don't generally have the most impressive catacombs (at least, not until I breach the HFS).  The recent additions to Dwarf mode, thus, have yet to become a problem for me.
Sanity is for the weak.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 11:49:39 pm »

I want to make a catacombs that is flooded with water. (Or magma if it doesn't destroy the coffins.)

No one may disturb the rest of the dead. If you need to bury someone, you need to drain it first. I had this idea because I find the thought of completely water-filled corridors full of corpses would be a pretty sweet and unique thing to have.

Not like people need constant access there.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 11:51:16 pm »

the best tombs, I sell it to merchants.
If it's artifact it's the centerpiece of the dining hall.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 11:55:05 pm »

I want to make a catacombs that is flooded with water. (Or magma if it doesn't destroy the coffins.)

No one may disturb the rest of the dead. If you need to bury someone, you need to drain it first. I had this idea because I find the thought of completely water-filled corridors full of corpses would be a pretty sweet and unique thing to have.

Not like people need constant access there.

You could actually engineer a catacombs where you could set up a pipeline to flood tombs as needed.  Just build each individual tomb in such a way that the final act upon them is linking them up to the massive pipe of water that flows into the tombs.  Hopefully from above to avoid having to add a slab for your newly deceased witless miner.  And then watch as some witless clod decides to deposit one of the deceased's socks in that tomb and ends up flooding the entire catacomb outer halls with half the river.  Tons of fun, especially if you replace the water with magma.
Sanity is for the weak.
Pages: [1] 2 3