Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Who do YOU Give the Best Tombs?  (Read 9463 times)

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Who do YOU Give the Best Tombs?
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2010, 12:04:26 am »

Whoever the hell I think deserves one. My current mega project is making a glass room with a tomb on a dias in the centre, surrounded by magma. Everyone else gets tossed in a coffin along the side of a completely smoothed room, every tile will be filled with coffins before another is opened.

Nobles get tombs until they die, then they no longer rage at the lack of one so they get their tomb taken away and tossed in a coffin like everyone else. Shit. I just realized how ironic that is...
I LOVE DWARF FORTRESS!!!!!
"You know the new baron?  The one that kept threatening to jail me if I didn't something out of pike bones for him?"
"We live in the middle of the desert."
"I told him as much.  He didn't care."
"Sounds about right.  What about him?"
"He just had a small accident with the giant scorpion containment pit.  The room register says he's assigned to that big tomb with the gold sarcophogus.  Are we really...?"
"Nah, just stuff his body into a bin and stuff it in the back of one of the old tin veins."
"The tin veins are full of his cats."
"Cats?  Did his cats fall into the scorpion pit too?"
"Yeah, damn shame."
"Damn shame.  How about the copper mines on the fourth floor?"
"Should be space.  I'll toss him in there, then."
"Get to it.  Oh, and what'd you name the scorpion?"
"Menacepants."
"Sounds good.  Let me know when his wife starts asking for raw adamantine stuff."
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2010, 02:20:03 am »

I don't do tombs so much as I do mass grave halls. TGhe special ones, though, they get to be buried in my Heroes' Hall. A three-wide corridor dug from one of the magma sea pillars, with alcoves two apart on each side and every available space except the far wall smoothed and engraved.

My dorfs don't tend to worry about the value of their tombs. Either they're going into the mass grave hall and thus have no reason to worry about burial arrangements, or they're going into the Heroes' Hall. Adamantine coffins tend to negate value concerns a bit.
くコ:彡

Kurouma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2010, 06:42:24 am »

In my last fort, I started experimenting with carving elaborate and asymmetrical winding catacombs with coffins and statues tucked into little holes in the walls. The catacombs lead to all sorts of random chambers with engraved pillars and stuff for dwarfs I think deserve proper chambers...
Flooding it sounds like fun. I'll have to give it a go! And then come tombraid as an adventurer and drown.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2010, 07:03:00 am »

Yea, I stuff everyone into mass graves in the mines.  Never know when FB poison will kill all of them but one.  No tombs, requesting a tomb will result in *drowning accident*. I don't think my mayors even mandate anymore... Less accidents that way.... I also prefer not getting a baron, as this would eventually lead to a ghost fortress....
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2010, 11:46:23 am »

I give tombs to those who I feel have deserved it in some way.

A woman who has raised a fierce amount of rugrats? Like .. 10 dorfs? She gets one.
A soldier who was crippled in the line of duty? He gets one.
Squadleaders? They get one.
Starting seven? Yup. 1 each.

Though I only give them tombs after everything else is completed already. Meaning that most of the dorfs end up in simple coffins. They should be content :) since I have an abundance of metals presently and the sarcophaguses are made of gold or iron.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2010, 12:51:41 pm »

I give a shared catacombs to most dwarvss, and a small tomb to those that get pissy if they don't get one. The people who get real, awesome  tombs are those who do something crazy awesome. A miner holding a baby fends off a goblin siege by herself? she'd get a awesome tomb (if she didn't go berserk immediately afterward, shame). But the starting 7... don't care. Legendary fighters? they're otherwise lazy, and I ordered them to do it, why would that deserve anything?

One exception, is when I screw up and have a miner kill themselves (generally drowning them while carving a well or irrigation system). I feel sorry for these poor saps, and feel obligated to give them a better than normal burial. They sacrificed their entire lives for the betterment of dwarven society. 

No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

EvilFuzzy9

• Bay Watcher
  • The Uncommon Loon
    • View Profile
    • My Fanfiction.net Profile (Note: A lot of the information is outdated by virtue of the fact that I'm too lazy to change it)
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2010, 04:15:08 pm »

Wait we're supposed to bury dwarves?

This comment made me laugh. Proceeding to sig.

Sigging... Sigging... Do not turn off or restart your computer. Sigging... Sigging...

*Beep*

Sigging complete. Thank you for using Bay 12 forums. Have a nice day.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2010, 04:26:57 pm »

I give the best tombs to the dwarves that do the most memorable things. A dwarf slays a hydra? I give him a tomb with seven branches. That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head. The starting seven each get a small tomb instead of the coffin all my other dwarves get.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2010, 04:29:20 pm »

I don't really get to the stage of epic hydra fighting, so my sheriff gets a tomb (because he is just plainly awesome) and the starting seven.
Wait. That's a good point. My fortress has no graves yet. Tempting fate!
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2010, 06:56:38 pm »

Whoever the hell I think deserves one. My current mega project is making a glass room with a tomb on a dias in the centre, surrounded by magma. Everyone else gets tossed in a coffin along the side of a completely smoothed room, every tile will be filled with coffins before another is opened.

Nobles get tombs until they die, then they no longer rage at the lack of one so they get their tomb taken away and tossed in a coffin like everyone else. Shit. I just realized how ironic that is...
I LOVE DWARF FORTRESS!!!!!

This more or less actually happened in Westminster Abbey. Queen Mary I was disinterred by her sister, Queen Elizabeth I, and dumped in a pauper's tomb. When Elizabeth died, Mary's son, James, had Mary dug up and put into a tomb twice as large as Elizabeth's.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2010, 07:59:02 pm »

Well my best tombs consist of random coffins which I build en masse and place in random parts of the Fortress.

They are an absolute luxury, most dwarves end up in the volcano near my fortress.

But I give them to people when I remember to/feel like it.
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

Kidsta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2010, 08:04:22 pm »

I give good tombs to dwarves that deserve them. Sure, I'll give a noble a token good one, just so they don't freak out and toss babies down wells, but the massive projects I reserve for the true dwarven heroes. The kind of dwarves who rush a goblin archer horde with their crossbow in one hand and twin babies in the other and return, covered in the vanquished blood of their enemies.

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2010, 10:11:23 pm »

My current fortress has a crapton of the expensive blue rocks so for the deserving I am building raw adamantine coffins, why not turn it in to metal and make it that way? Well my metalsmiths suck and aren't near legendary yet, they can only make 3000db sarchs, now my legendary stonecrafters turn out 30000db masterwork coffins every time. My legendary mason, weaver, and armorer are getting special tombs for creating 80+% of the wealth of my mountainhome.
Pages: 1 2 [3]