Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ok, what the HELL is wrong with markdwarf training?  (Read 2027 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Ok, what the HELL is wrong with markdwarf training?
« on: November 21, 2010, 04:29:49 pm »

- I have a designated archery range

- I have crossbows.

- I have ammo. Assigned and vaildated ammo, with a V tick next to it

- I KNOW they can train in there because up until 10 minutes ago there was one dwarf training there.

So why have they fallen back into "cannot follow orders"? The only difference I can think about is that 10 minutes ago there was only one crossbow and only one guy could train, and now I have several. But I have several targets too! What the hell is going on?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ok, what the HELL is wrong with markdwarf training?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 04:38:14 pm »

checklist:

- got enough quivers, the right ammo .. enough ammo in reach? sometimes dwarfes go crazy with bins and not in bins ammo
- got archery range positioned correct? (i assume)
- got hunter profession disabled on those marksdwarfes?
- tried to redo the archery range?
- tried to temporary hook up a armor stand/weapon rack (strange enough sometimes they need one just for being there a short time)

would be my checkpoints

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 04:42:35 pm »

leave them with no orders and no enabled labours. they will then happily shoot your high value metal bolts at training designated targets while ignoring the wooden ones you make for that very purpose. check the recent posts in the facepalm thread for bowdorf news...

edit -also, check how many dorfs you have set as the minimum number to follow the train order,
This is a blank sig.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 04:56:37 pm »

Ok, I created a new shooting range, and now there is one dwarf shooting. The one who already had a good crossbow skill and thus least needed it. The others remain as "cannot follow orders".

Will check the damn quiver thing. It might be just that

SUPPOSEDLY I have 3 free quivers. Why my other dwarvs aren't picking those up is anyone's guess

Wow get this: Now I have to build a range area for each target, separatedly. Go figure

and somehow it broke again
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 05:00:25 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 05:02:12 pm »

Give them a barracks to train in. It would seem, as I've seen it, the marksdwarf squads need a barracks to drill in as well as an archery range.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 10:35:14 pm »

Give them a barracks to train in. It would seem, as I've seen it, the marksdwarf squads need a barracks to drill in as well as an archery range.

yep .. sometimes you need it for starters ..you might be able to disable it later again

@ op .. remember to create multiple ranges for each dwarf training ... not overlapping with each other and not overlapping any other rooms like barracks

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 11:48:06 pm »

@ op .. remember to create multiple ranges for each dwarf training ... not overlapping with each other and not overlapping any other rooms like barracks

there shouldn't be anything wrong with designating 5 targets as 5 overlapping ranges.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 11:59:32 pm »

1) Makes sure the squad has bolts assigned, and there're actual bolts given to them. If there's nothing on the ammunition view's rightmost column you dont have enough bolts
2) Makes sure the squad has enough crossbows and quivers assigned, on equipment view, check assigned equipments with 'P'
4) Squad has training priority from top to bottom. Everything equal the squad captain will train the most
5) Dwarves will never fire or remove bolts assigned to other squads if they are happen to be in the quiver they are carrying. This happen very often if you switch dwarves around alot. When in doubt, dump the bolts to see if they go fetch new ones.
6) When appear as (cannot follow order) usually the dwarf in question is getting food/water or fetching their equipment. Center to them, v->g and see what they are doing.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 12:35:54 am »

there shouldn't be anything wrong with designating 5 targets as 5 overlapping ranges.
well yes in theory .. i found it helps SOMeTIMES

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 03:46:37 am »

Believe it or not, it's the only thing I changed, and now my dwarves are training

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 05:17:17 am »

Believe it or not, it's the only thing I changed, and now my dwarves are training

it has something to do with the cluelessness of marksdwarfes sadly :)

Gamli

• Bay Watcher
  • Will fight to the death over shiny black rock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 04:03:03 am »

Oh but how mistaken you are... in the great book of lore it is clearly written that this angers the gods.