-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 03:50:58 pm by Bronimin »

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
Re: So...Dwarves swim now?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 03:55:18 pm »

In the new version, dwarves don't immediately start drowning.  In fact, if they realize they're in a dangerous situation where they can't hold their breath, they'll back out and pathfind, well, anywhere that's not wet.  In the previous version, the dwarf panicked and ran around aimlessly as soon as he got submerged.

This will only happen if you're in an open scenario with stairs/ramps of course.  If the dwarf has no way out, he can and he will start drowning.

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 03:57:48 pm »

oh ok thanks, I knew about the earlier versions, but i hadnt heard about the current ones, nice to know anyway. thanks

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 05:42:52 pm »

Even in the older versoins I once had dwarves haul by pathing straight through my reservoir (I'd left some stairs as emergency exits in case someone fell in it). I was watching through facepalm the occasional hauler decide swimming while carrying a stone was the best way to do the job.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 11:37:22 pm »

I don't suppose they'll build underwater if they have sufficient swimming skill?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 04:29:51 am »

There have been some changes about how things deal with swimming and flying. Don't know the exact way it works but they can go over a wall or, well, swim fairly easily.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Kurouma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 04:41:14 am »

I had extensive sewer networks supplying water to various projects. There was a spill accident and dwarfs in the maintenance walkway 1z above would occasionally get swept into the sewers...now, what would happen is if the water was 7/7, they would be drowning, but luckily heavy load meant that it was mostly 5/7 or 6/7 and they could breathe. They would float in place until their swimming skills went up enough for them to climb out the side. Trouble was, there was actually a staircase out of there. So if there was continuous 4/7 or less between them and the staircase, the dwarfs would walk out via the stairs, but if there was more than that in a single tile between them and the staircase, they wouldn't path. One guy who got swept away from the walkway edge ended up dying of thirst because he couldn't path anywhere...

Anyway, the moral is, I've had lots of water issues and never yet seen swimming/water-pathing. Is it because I didn't have any open space above the water, maybe?

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 09:43:25 am »

Anyway, the moral is, I've had lots of water issues and never yet seen swimming/water-pathing. Is it because I didn't have any open space above the water, maybe?
Yeah. If there's no open space above water, then there's no oxygen.
Imagine a glass of water. 5/7 would be taller than a dwarf, and the glass will be almost full. 4/7 would allow dwarves to breathe, and the glass would be halfway.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 12:33:37 pm »

Yeah. If there's no open space above water, then there's no oxygen.
Imagine a glass of water. 5/7 would be taller than a dwarf, and the glass will be almost full. 4/7 would allow dwarves to breathe, and the glass would be halfway.

Creatures can also swim & breathe in 7/7 water as long as there is open space above them. If there is a floor or something else instead though, they will start drowning.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.