Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: War dogs suck  (Read 11840 times)

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War dogs suck
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2010, 03:05:50 pm »

Quote from: Jacob/Lee link=topic=71307.msg1819961#msg1819961 date=129296043...Really? The first kobold that came to my fort stabbed a war dog in the heart and killed it the first turn.[/quote
DF combat is quite random. I mean, people have killed bronze colossi with thrown fluffy wamblers, slain elves with hurled vomit, and used cabinets as lethal weapons.

I've seen war dogs kill goblins, kobolds and wildlife, but they're not to be relied upon, because they can't wear armor, and can't sustain themselves in combat for long without it. Sooner or later, they'll take that hit, and it will hurt when they do.

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2010, 03:26:11 pm »

Puppy bomb!  All dogs+cage+lever, off-main entrance in a diagonal niche (for buildng breakers).I thought everyone did that with wardogs after the first elf caravan (if anything good comes)!
My elves bring me lions and gorillas.  I'm hoping for a breeding pair...
You might win the gorilla's cooperation by getting him drunk, but you'll need someone to hold the lion for him.

I lol'ed
Also. Sigged :)
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2010, 04:59:57 pm »

They don't suck if you have tens of them guarding the hallways. Of course, you can't expect them to deal with a full invasion or even a lightly armored ambush squad, but when you have to rely on dogs to do that, there's more wrong with your defense design. They're good for internal fortress security. In fact, they're even pretty good at stopping the less dangerous FBs. One time, I had a bug FB with "beware its hunger for warm blood!" (which means no breath attack or poison, just ferociousness) encounter three war dogs. I of course expected it to absolutely tear them apart before being killed by my military, but quite the opposite happened. While I was tearing my hair out due to the fact that my military refused to follow the order to just go there and kill the goddamn thing, the dogs valiantly fought.
Long story short, I ended up with one lightly wounded dog, one named dog and thousands upon thousands of ☼Forgotten Beast bone bolts☼, all without my military ever even getting near to the beast.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2010, 10:10:58 pm »

I dunno, my Wardogs are mostly used when a Dwarf gets struck with a mood and I don't have the materials to make anything for anything.  Also I have a cage, located at the main entrance of my fort, linked to a lever that I store 99% of my dogs in who are my first casualities in case of ambush or siege to stop the enemies in their tracks so my Migrant/Kamikaze squad and Military can arrive.

Aside from the insane dwarf and as squishy dog bomb I'm trying to find a more adequate use for the dogs.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2010, 10:39:52 pm »

You know every expendable dog/kamikaze you throw at the goblins the stronger they get?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2010, 10:45:03 pm »

You know every expendable dog/kamikaze you throw at the goblins the stronger they get?

Just like DragonballZ!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2010, 12:01:42 am »

Yup.  Gives my military dwarves something slightly resembling a fight, usually not, and I get rid of unwanted dwarves and free dog bones.  It's a win-win!
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2010, 01:14:42 am »

linked to a lever that I store 99% of my dogs in
Suddenly, dogs.
Hundreds of them.

Plutoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2010, 01:37:13 am »

My last war dog took down an FB singlehandedly, no wounds.

Had it chained at my cavern entrance.

Mostly I use them to catch thieves.  They're rather good at taking down kobolds, maybe one will get hurt, but if you have 3-4, it's unlikely they'll make it by.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2010, 05:07:44 pm »

Mostly I use them to catch thieves.  They're rather good at taking down kobolds, maybe one will get hurt, but if you have 3-4, it's unlikely they'll make it by.
Yeah, having at least some animals chained up at the entrance is basically required to warn you of kobolds and such.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]