Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: War dogs suck  (Read 11838 times)

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
Re: War dogs suck
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2010, 01:36:44 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2010, 02:54:48 pm »

Small units just cannot overcome the disadvantage of the auto-floor syndrome larger unit inflict upon them. A lot of slightly larger-than-a-dog enemies are just going to be bad news. With few very large opponents they fare a little better because they can stand back up before the enemies can knock them down again.

Dwarves are approximately as worthless against opponents that charge and knock them down, namely horses. Unless you seriously outnumber them auto-knockdown is about as dangerous as fire- really only less so because there's a limit to the number of dwarves it can affect at one time.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2010, 03:07:10 pm »

War dogs are a terrible idea with soldiers.  I think they're not bad for your fishers/woodcutters/etc., because those guys run while the dogs fight.

Soldiers can go homicidal after 10 of their pets decay because their dogs got slaughtered.  No fun.
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2010, 03:18:03 pm »

War dogs are a terrible idea with soldiers.  I think they're not bad for your fishers/woodcutters/etc., because those guys run while the dogs fight.

Soldiers can go homicidal after 10 of their pets decay because their dogs got slaughtered.  No fun.
Dig a massive embark spanning multiple z level catacomb with thousands of marble coffins to bury dwarfs in and allow all to be used for burying pets and dwarves.  This will allow for all war casualties and all tantrum spiral casualties for any amount of death you will be dealing in a fortress.  Bonus points for fractal designs.  MEGADORF POINTS for 3d fractal designs.  ;D
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2010, 03:42:23 pm »

I agree with the majority of this thread.   War dogs alone suck.  1 War Dog assigned to a soldier is useful.

War dogs do seem to do one nice thing though.  Troll invaders don't seem all that interested in standing and fighting when they hit your melee dorfs.  They just seem to want to run right by.  And melee dorfs don't really seem all that interested in stopping them.

War dogs however will take a chomp out of them immediately and since trolls typically don't wear anything better than cloth the dogs can inflict a good amount of harm.(just beware the troll hunters, they come armed and armored  ...Mon)

I'll also agree that there's better stuff than dogs.  Smouldercrater has 1 War Giant Lion, 1 War Giant Tiger, 1 War Giant Jaguar, and a tigerman.  They tear stuff apart wholesale.  Now if only the elves would bring a breeding second of anything so I could replace my dogs completely.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2010, 04:13:16 pm »

Sure, they suck... that's why I was immensely happy to see that 3 war dogs and a pet dog spontaneously went to devour a goblin thief. Only casualty: said goblin. One war dog earned her name. No external help. A little earlier, two war dogs helped kill the giant bat of a goblin axe lord. :,)
So now I'm setting up a war dog bomb-cage near the entrance so that if the invaders get past the mortal traps, I have time to send my squads to finish them. So many dogs here who breed like bunnies cats.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2010, 12:30:58 pm »

War dogs are awesome. They won't take down an axegoblin on their own but they help out their masters sooo much .. when they latch on to them, they are vulnerable as f*ck and shot/stabbed/cut dead immediately.

I assign war dogs to marksdwarves, regular dwarves, mothers with babies, woodcutters or anyone else who usually works outdoors ... they are support units pure and simple. Saved the lives of many dwarves in my fort and will save many more. I breed them, buy them, raise them and train them all the time. I just can't get enough of them!

edit: also, they are great against other animals. I saw three war dogs take down a crocodile earlier, saving the lives of two dwarves. They regularily spot and kill kobolds as well. :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 12:33:26 pm by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2010, 04:25:40 pm »

There is no reason to assign them as pets, just have a soldier train them.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2010, 12:09:25 am »

Armor for war animals would be fantastic.  Has anybody given much thought to making that happen?  Has it been suggested to Toady?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2010, 09:32:42 am »

Armor for war animals would be fantastic.  Has anybody given much thought to making that happen?  Has it been suggested to Toady?

There were a few earlier threads on "animal barding". If you think armored bears are cool, read Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials". Barding would enchance the usefullness of war animals, even if it requires multiple parts, and leaves some parts (paws, underbelly, eyes, teeth, etc) of the animal exposed.

Oh, and puppy bomb sounds fun.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2010, 10:58:26 am »

my milita commander has a flail, and several dozen meatshi... i mean wardogs. !!FUN!! ahoy...
This is a blank sig.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2010, 12:52:31 pm »

Always have some dogs to catch sneakies...and behind the dogs, anything that can't be milked. Gorillas, right now.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2010, 01:51:51 pm »

I built the aforementioned dog bomb and used it on my first goblin siege...

And it was a spectacular, bloody orgy of teeth, claws, maces and swords for a long enough time for my army to deploy and clean up the leftovers.

Also, the entire entrance area of my fortress is literally covered in a sea of blood, some tiles have as much as 20 units of blood from separate, unique enemies on them.  And lots of goblinite.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2010, 02:26:11 pm »

Two of my dogs, non-war trained, killed a skeletal giant eagle, though one died in the process...  Maybe you just had a whimpy dog?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2010, 02:40:31 pm »

edit: also, they are great against other animals. I saw three war dogs take down a crocodile earlier, saving the lives of two dwarves. They regularily spot and kill kobolds as well. :)
...Really? The first kobold that came to my fort stabbed a war dog in the heart and killed it the first turn.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5