Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: War dogs suck  (Read 11835 times)

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
War dogs suck
« on: November 21, 2010, 02:31:56 pm »

No seriously, they suck now.

I'm trying to transfer some wild gazelles to a single cage since they can't be tamed until a dungeon master arrives and one got loose.  A nearby animal trainer got a bruised arm before catching it in a chokehold and beginning to choke it out, sending it into unconsciousness.  A war dog wanders by, charges...

and then runs away with a broken rib with accompanying lung wound.

Earlier I dumped a goblin thief into a pit willed with war dogs and he killed THREE of them before succumbing to the wounds of the fall and passing out, which allowed the dogs to eat him.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Gr33kjester

• Bay Watcher
  • Marxism - For those who VALUE their Booze...
    • View Profile
Re: War dogs suck
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 02:42:52 pm »

Aye, all I use now are 2 war dogs, then 10 million HUNTING dogs, much better...
This is an enscribed adamantine dwarf-leg hammer.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes OF SHEER AWESOMENESS.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 02:56:48 pm »

If the hostiles are wearing any armor, you can't expect war dogs to do shit. Even less if they are armed/have horns.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 03:01:47 pm »

How about war lions?  I got a lion from the elves, so I'm hoping for a breeding pair...
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 03:03:23 pm »

Lions are suprisingly effective, even in wild form. I've lost several adventurers/companions to lions attacking me.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 03:05:00 pm »

Giant lions are much better, as are tigermen if you can get them.

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 03:09:04 pm »

solution:
give dogs the [can_learn] tag and watch as they turn into unstoppable.... socialites.
well at least it means you can train them.
and with a danger room with one training spear you'd probably lose a lot of dogs but be left with a handful with really good stats.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 03:18:10 pm »

I'd still think that crippled dogs would be bad fighters, even if they did have good stats.

Breed a whole bunch of them. The only downside is the if you get an intelligent foe, like a goblin, by they're done with the Zerg rush and get to your military, they'll be superpowered from all the experience fighting all those dogs. Oh, and the FPS death.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 03:30:23 pm »

I'd still think that crippled dogs would be bad fighters, even if they did have good stats.

Breed a whole bunch of them. The only downside is the if you get an intelligent foe, like a goblin, by they're done with the Zerg rush and get to your military, they'll be superpowered from all the experience fighting all those dogs. Oh, and the FPS death.
1. Construct large holding pit with dropaway bridge floor directly above entryway
2. Link bridge to pressure plate in entryway
3. Suddenly, dogs.  Hundreds of them.

Even if it isn't too effective, the mere notion of showering my enemies with vicious attack dogs is enough to make me want to do this.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 03:33:44 pm »

Puppy bomb!  All dogs+cage+lever, off-main entrance in a diagonal niche (for buildng breakers).I thought everyone did that with wardogs after the first elf caravan (if anything good comes)!
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 03:34:50 pm »

Puppy bomb!  All dogs+cage+lever, off-main entrance in a diagonal niche (for buildng breakers).I thought everyone did that with wardogs after the first elf caravan (if anything good comes)!
My elves bring me lions and gorillas.  I'm hoping for a breeding pair...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 03:37:37 pm »

Dammit. When I read "Puppy bomb!" I thought about modding dog blood to burst into flames when it comes into contact with air.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 03:38:33 pm »

My elves bring me lions and gorillas.  I'm hoping for a breeding pair...
You might win the gorilla's cooperation by getting him drunk, but you'll need someone to hold the lion for him.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 03:47:26 pm »

I prefer my war skunks, they blind people then claw their faces off.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 04:23:37 pm »

Polar Bears work well too!
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5