Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Strange moods: have any of them ever made you mad?  (Read 2598 times)

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange moods: have any of them ever made you mad?
« on: November 21, 2010, 01:31:47 pm »

Okay, so I had a Legendary +2 Weaponsmith go Withdraw from Society, and I was all "Wooo!"

She started bellowing for metal bars, stacked leather, wood, bone, and cut gems, and I was all "Oh yeah, this is gonna be hella awesome!"

I locked the doors to all of the magma forges except the one in her room (I treat the really useful dwarves like nobles want to be treated,) so she claimed her own forge, forbade everything but steel, and ordered stockpiles built up around her of all the stuff she wanted.

She would not start grabbing items. I was about to go spare when I saw from the Strange Mood page that Moody smiths will sometimes demand specific metals, aggravatingly. I checked her preferences: she wanted PLATINUM!

I had precisely two platinum bars in the whole fortress. one of them was constructing the forge in her office, the other was constructing my Forgemaster's (a friend asked to be dorfed, I gave him the guy with the highest smithy skill) office forge.

Nothing to it. I deconstructed the Forgemaster's forge, she claimed it, and everything else went like clockwork. Here's what she's using:

Platinum Bar
Elephant leather
Bauxite block
Red diamond
Fungiwood log
Elephant leather
Green diamonds
Gronckle bone (yay for Dragon Flavor!)

I'm pissed she demanded a useless nonweapon precious metal instead of partaking of some of that lovely steel, but it'll be completely forgiven if she makes a hammer or mace. I'll post an update when it's done.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange moods: have any of them ever made you mad?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 01:37:27 pm »

It's too bad that you can't assign dwarves out of the military weapons, or else if this wasn't a blunt weapon you could give it to a noble so he started shitting himself in happiness.  You would never have to worry about demands again!

Or if it could be built.  Imagine, a dining hall with a huge, world-famous sword in the middle. 

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 01:39:07 pm »

Just remember what happens when you pull the sword out.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 01:44:25 pm »

That's just... Uncredible.

Athelamost Thatthilzustash; Ringedtown the Autumnal Ancient, a platinum CROSSBOW?! dB$258,000

This is a platinum crossbow. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of platinum. This object menaces with spikes of elephant leather, bauxite and red diamond. On the item is an image of prickle berries in fungiwood.
On the item is an image of steel dwarves in elephant leather. The steel dwarves are laboring. This artwork relates to the foundation of Lanternrelics by The Constructive Relic of The Most Axe in the early spring of 301.
On the item is an image of a narrow crescent in green diamond. On the item is an image of a dark blue fiend in Gronckle bone.

Arrrrrgh! This is just about the most useless artifact weapon ever! The upshot is that it's a good crossbow; the material doesn't drag down it's dakka, and it's about the best thing to make a crossbow out of for when the bowdwarf gets caught up close and personal short of slade!

The downside is it's a friggin' crossbow! I don't have any bowdorves! Well, none except my legendary hunters... But most of them are kids! (Dwarf Companion + Child Labor = profit.)

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 01:44:37 pm »

Probably the bonecarver who took two sapphires.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 01:45:48 pm »

Athelamost Thatthilzustash; Ringedtown the Autumnal Ancient, a platinum CROSSBOW?! dB$258,000

This is a platinum crossbow. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of platinum. This object menaces with spikes of elephant leather, bauxite and red diamond. On the item is an image of prickle berries in fungiwood.
On the item is an image of steel dwarves in elephant leather. The steel dwarves are laboring. This artwork relates to the foundation of Lanternrelics by The Constructive Relic of The Most Axe in the early spring of 301.
On the item is an image of a narrow crescent in green diamond. On the item is an image of a dark blue fiend in Gronckle bone.

Arrrrrgh! This is just about the most useless artifact weapon ever! The upshot is that it's a good crossbow; the material doesn't drag down it's dakka, and it's about the best thing to make a crossbow out of for when the bowdwarf gets caught up close and personal short of slade!

The downside is it's a friggin' crossbow! I don't have any bowdorves! Well, none except my legendary hunters... But most of them are kids! (Dwarf Companion + Child Labor = profit.)

Actually, that's probably the best crossbow. If you don't give the dwarf any ammo, he'll bludgeon enemies with the bow, which uses the hammer skill.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 01:46:22 pm »

Probably the bonecarver who took two sapphires.
Oh man, that's just wrong. I had a bonecarver go nuts and make something I even thought would be cool - a dragon-bone helmet! But all the stuff he put on it just vanished into the ether.

Still gave it to my militia commander, though.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 01:47:43 pm »

Actually, that's probably the best crossbow. If you don't give the dwarf any ammo, he'll bludgeon enemies with the bow, which uses the hammer skill.

Still be pretty shit compared to an actual, yanno... Hammer!

Though, it would be kind of funny... Kind of like the "dwarven walking stick. Aye, we like 'em heavy! And sharp!" if I gave a legendary crossbow to a hammerdorf and no ammo...

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 02:05:40 pm »

"This is a steel shoe all craftdwarfmanship is of highest quality, it has spikes of steel, and hanging rings of steel, with an image of a worthless bracelet on it, but I also mention the 4 other bars used to make this?"
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 02:36:38 pm »

Had to kill a perfectly good Black Crested Gibbon because one of my original seven decided to withdraw from society to create a pair of chausses. I had plans for that primate, dammit! Upside, I got a legendary clothier out this mood and he will now be tasked to make a ton of bags.

Pagan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 02:05:07 am »

Not as bad as the masterful LEFT silver gauntlet engraved and everything.

Was even worth a tidy little sum.

But I had to facepalm and shout "What about the OTHER gauntlet!"
My gf thinks sex will stop me from playing dwarf fortress.
Little does she know that will never work, a beard doesnt look good on her.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 04:11:03 am »

I thought they made gauntlets in pairs?

Anyway, at the time it happened, my most annoying mood was when my metalworker took my entire stock of zinc bars I was otherwise using for bins and barrels. Yes, I set him to the panic room burrow by accident. In any case, 127 zinc bars went into making - guess what? A bloody chain.

It was later used to keep my pet dragon chained to the entrance, though, so that was awesome.
くコ:彡

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 05:17:59 am »

Fort year 3.  Planter/Hauler, who I carefully had trained with a bunch of other peasants into dabbling weaponsmiths.  He went into a mood and claimed a forge.  Great, I thought, made sure he collected a steel bar first, let him gather everything and then start work.

He made a steel crossbow.  It was only when I went to assign him his own forge to crank out weapons that I realised he was still a Planter and hadn't gained any experience.  It had been a possession.

<FFFFFFUUUUU guy.jpg>

I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 08:11:06 am »

1 fort, 3 artifact shoes, all of them for the left foot.

Wolfhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 08:24:04 am »

Just two words.

Possessed armorer.
Pages: [1] 2 3