Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Combat tips, tricks and exploits  (Read 9755 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Combat tips, tricks and exploits
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2010, 08:03:53 am »

My experience shows pommel strikes to be only about as effective as a regular punch.  Though I usually do everything I can to wield the largest sword possible, so it might just be the larger weapon size making it not as effective.

For the couple minutes before class I played an adventurer for a bit.  Got an opportunity punch to the head on a lion.  Every time I get one of those I say "Falcoln... PAWWNCH" in my mind.   The lion saw better days.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2010, 11:33:36 am »

At first I assumed I should max out my companions. One adventurer had 20 of them. This results in ambushes of well over 20, and it is impossible to control the battle.

So, with my latest adventurer, I tried recruiting just a single companion. I've had ambushes of as many as 6, but I've been able to protect my one companion and let her gain great skill. She is now an elite swordsdwarf (it was cool when her symbol changed). She has over 125 kills. She is scarred, has three missing teeth, and a broken toe on each foot, but seems to be perfectly healthy otherwise. The broken toes don't slow her down. Together we've killed a dragon and two hydras, among other creatures.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2010, 12:38:46 pm »

The Way of the Enclosed Buckets of Piercing:

Approach your opponent cautiously, so that you have the first attack. Make it a stabbing attack (use sword or spear or pike), and aim for upper or lower body, hitting some essential organ. If the enemy parries or jumps away, open with a thrown item istead - a thrown crossbow bolt is much more deadly than one shot from a crossbow. Upon hit, the enemy will start to vomit or gasp for breath - puncture him a few more times, until he resembles a slice of Swiss cheese. Don't neglect opportunities to chop one of his leg off - the fight is much more easier after that. Once he's on the ground, stomp on his head.

Written by Elmo SafeAxe from Romantic Colors of Fatal Dust.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2010, 02:19:25 pm »

At first I assumed I should max out my companions. One adventurer had 20 of them. This results in ambushes of well over 20, and it is impossible to control the battle.

So, with my latest adventurer, I tried recruiting just a single companion. I've had ambushes of as many as 6, but I've been able to protect my one companion and let her gain great skill. She is now an elite swordsdwarf (it was cool when her symbol changed). She has over 125 kills. She is scarred, has three missing teeth, and a broken toe on each foot, but seems to be perfectly healthy otherwise. The broken toes don't slow her down. Together we've killed a dragon and two hydras, among other creatures.

I was wondering about that, personally. Is there a way to chop your party down to size, besides carefully letting them die?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2010, 03:23:45 pm »

I was wondering about that, personally. Is there a way to chop your party down to size, besides carefully letting them die?

You can't remove a companion. Having had a number of companions disappear when I didn't want them to disappear, I try to do things (superstition?) to not lose them. Maybe there are ways to increase the chance of intentionally losing them. I'll try it out when I get a chance.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Mechanist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2010, 04:59:20 pm »

Ok, i will just pretend that nobody has read (or that everyboy knows) what i have posted before about having +10~20 shields equipped at once making the whole % of evade icoming hits higher than 100% making a novice shield user with dodging off, could block weapon hits better than a BC

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2010, 10:28:21 pm »

Oh, but wearing a million shields at once, and one weapon of every type...gives you such perfect protection, and all those opportunity attacks!
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2010, 12:00:50 am »

I thought holding more than one item in each hand made both/all useless..?

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2010, 01:12:04 am »

I thought holding more than one item in each hand made both/all useless..?

That's only true in real life. Probably. I know it used to be the case were having several items (shields) in your hands made it basically impossible to hit you, but I am unsure about .18

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2010, 01:16:09 am »

No matter how good of an observer your target is or bad of an ambusher you are, they will only notice you if you're in the 7x7 tile square (not a circle) they're the center of. If you just keep 3 tiles between you and your target you can throw or fire crap at them until the cows come home and they won't notice.

Unless you are facing a much larger foe, charging them will usually knock them over, slowing them down a lot. It might also knock you over, but unless you're outnumbered that's alright because you can just stand up immediately and get in a few attacks before they stand up. If you end up standing over the enemy, that's good because you're keeping them from standing up.

Opportunity attacks can still be blocked by armor, so if you know an attack would be blocked without any action on your target's part (for instance, don't bother trying to scratch an enemy wearing a bronze breastplate in the chest). Knowing this is one of the major advantages you have over the AI, which will automatically perform any opportunity attack.

If using a large weapon (like a great axe or a halberd), check to make sure you're not being penalized for using it one-handed by making it the only thing you're holding and seeing if it's held by one hand or "multigrasp".

In addition to the "kiting" advice, you should probably take the opportunity to throw some stuff at them: unlike bows or crossbows, this doesn't take long and thus you probably won't lose the first strike when they reach you.

If you find good gear your current adventure doesn't have a use for, store it in a lair: it won't scatter around like in most places.

If your backpack is weighing you down a lot, and the stuff in it isn't useful for fighting, take it off before fighting, just remember it before you leave.

For that matter, if you're wrestled by something huge grabbing an article of clothing, remember that you can [r]emove the item to free yourself.

Remember that you can set your [C]ombat preference: you don't want to charge when you don't need to, or have your master shield-user dodge of a ledge.

Most weapon skills work for multiple weapons, so you may want to collect and carry around all the weapons you can use. Somewhat useful, and also really fun.

Don't take any mental/emotional stats.You'll live a lot longer.

Spatial sense, kinesthetic sense, focus, willpower, and and memory are useful.

I dont know if is a known fact, but i've discovered this playing genesis mod long time ago, and it works in vanilla:

get a lot of shields (no needed skill) *r*emove them from backpacks

shields are now in your hands (all of them)

you became the ultimate tank

No, more shields doesn't make you any more likely to block, or even level up shield faster. The only advantage is you have a back-up shield in case your first one is wrestled away.

However, you can hold a bunch of weapons and a shield at once; no need to choose between dual wielding and a shield, you can do both!

That's because some research conducted in another thread found that the best piercing weapon was actually stabbing with a large dagger. They make strangely good anti-armour weapons.

Probably because they have a really tiny contact area (5 cm^3), which is only beaten by whips (1 cm^3) and you know how much those things shred through armor.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2010, 02:32:08 am »

No matter how good of an observer your target is or bad of an ambusher you are, they will only notice you if you're in the 7x7 tile square (not a circle) they're the center of. If you just keep 3 tiles between you and your target you can throw or fire crap at them until the cows come home and they won't notice.
Mmm...not totally accurate. I've creeped up right next to Werewolves and was running in circles as I slowly took my time cutting of fingers, It took a long while before he even noticed me. I was still far from being a Legendary Ambusher but my skill was still pretty high...so bottom line is higher skill levels still factor greatly for both parties (Tried it with archery too even with their long reload time, it's still effective & they usually pass out from the pain).
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2010, 02:58:00 am »

Mmm...not totally accurate. I've creeped up right next to Werewolves and was running in circles as I slowly took my time cutting of fingers, It took a long while before he even noticed me. I was still far from being a Legendary Ambusher but my skill was still pretty high...so bottom line is higher skill levels still factor greatly for both parties (Tried it with archery too even with their long reload time, it's still effective & they usually pass out from the pain).

Oh no, I was speaking strictly of the minimum capabilities of ambushing, not saying ambushing skill doesn't matter. You can easily get it high enough to attack someone several times before they notice you; I've done it before plenty of times.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2010, 02:40:26 pm »

For some reason broken bones cause ALOT of pain. Enough to make a superhuman adventure with superhuman toughness/willpower pass out a good 7 times or so. In fact SEVERS HURT LESS (thats right you can shrug off having 3 limbs torn off with only "Minor Pain") Yet a broken rib or whatever is enough to floor even the mightiest of creatures (unless they have NOPAIN)

And since damage is revealent to size yet pain isnt:

Go for the fingers, a good punch will shatter them and ground your opponan, then just choke them to death or whatever

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2010, 05:49:55 pm »

Hey, I've some ideas about spatial and kinesthetic senses, but what the rest of those you listed does?
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2010, 05:53:14 pm »

Hey, I've some ideas about spatial and kinesthetic senses, but what the rest of those you listed does?
I don't know about focus and memory (though maybe memory makes areas stay un-blacked out longer), but willpower has an effect on pain resistance.
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6