Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Combat tips, tricks and exploits  (Read 9754 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Combat tips, tricks and exploits
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2010, 12:46:02 pm »

With my peasant human outsider, I've noticed that daggers can really be a good weapon sometimes.
With my copper dagger and adept knife user skill, I could kill any at the size of a human with only one strike to the lower body. The only creatures who caused me trouble were bogeymen on a flat plain

That's because some research conducted in another thread found that the best piercing weapon was actually stabbing with a large dagger. They make strangely good anti-armour weapons.

Anyway, my view is that:
1. Wrestling is god in this version. Only bogymen, mega-beasts and weapon masters can wrestle back effectively. My favourite tactic 1 on 1 especially is to grab, throw then break my opponent's leg before coking him into unconsciousness. From there it's about 1-3 hits to finish from there.

2. While it feels stylish to kill someone by slitting their throat, it is actually very annoying to do as it seems both cloaks, robes and (leather at least) armour blocks attacks here (note, needs further testing). So I keep finding that I can only bruise the throat with my copper large dagger until these things have been removed. However, other edged weapons (swords, axes, heck even picks) can usually bypass this.

3. This needs proper testing but especially on bogymen aimed attacks hit a lot less. This is only personal experience but it seems to be very true.
With my peasant human outsider, I've noticed that daggers can really be a good weapon sometimes.
With my copper dagger and adept knife user skill, I could kill any at the size of a human with only one strike to the lower body. The only creatures who caused me trouble were bogeymen on a flat plain

That's because some research conducted in another thread found that the best piercing weapon was actually stabbing with a large dagger. They make strangely good anti-armour weapons.

Anyway, my view is that:
1. Wrestling is god in this version. Only bogymen, mega-beasts and weapon masters can wrestle back effectively. My favourite tactic 1 on 1 especially is to grab, throw then break my opponent's leg before coking him into unconsciousness. From there it's about 1-3 hits to finish from there.

2. While it feels stylish to kill someone by slitting their throat, it is actually very annoying to do as it seems both cloaks, robes and (leather at least) armour blocks attacks here (note, needs further testing). So I keep finding that I can only bruise the throat with my copper large dagger until these things have been removed. However, other edged weapons (swords, axes, heck even picks) can usually bypass this.

3. This needs proper testing but especially on bogymen aimed attacks hit a lot less. This is only personal experience but it seems to be very true.

Bogey men have crazy natural dodge, just like minotaurs have crazy natural weapon skill.

And yeah, picks are mining skill, though it would be simple to change that in the raws or make a "battle pick" that uses hammer or mace.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2010, 01:12:28 pm »

I don't have a problem with picks needing a specific skill, as hitting an enemy with the point of a pick seems to be different enough from swinging a hammer or mace to justify the separate skill. (If maces and hammers need different skills, so do maces or hammers and picks.)

But maybe it should be possible to put points into Mining as you start your adventurer… It would be awesome, in a kind of silly way.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Demki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2010, 01:43:33 pm »

I don't have a problem with picks needing a specific skill, as hitting an enemy with the point of a pick seems to be different enough from swinging a hammer or mace to justify the separate skill. (If maces and hammers need different skills, so do maces or hammers and picks.)

But maybe it should be possible to put points into Mining as you start your adventurer… It would be awesome, in a kind of silly way.
Assuming what's in the development page in the bay12game site is true, there will be mining(eventually) in adventurer, so that's how you train that skill :D.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2010, 05:57:08 pm »

heck picks usually can bypass this? It will take their head off.
Don't dis the pick, it is god, not 'silly'.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2010, 08:23:00 pm »

Stab instead of slit, clothing doesn't deflect it nearly as often, I've found.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2010, 08:53:21 pm »

Stabbing attacks are more accurate than slashing... So if an attack is 'difficult', I stab and it usually hits. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

NotDerekSmart

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2010, 11:07:29 pm »

Using Auto Hotkey macros to train up my adventurer before heading out. http://pastebin.com/bxsVuEC9

That script I use allows me to level them up to high strength, agility, toughness, willpower, spatial sense, and kinesthetic sense along with making throwing and archery legendary in a matter of 6 minutes. When you go to throw the load of whatever you have in your bag, make sure that you have something solid to the west of you: like wall or a tree or something or you'll end up running to the left until something stops you.

edit: 20-30 of throwing will actually max out your speed and make the other attributes superior.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 12:26:56 am by NotDerekSmart »

Pagan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2010, 12:19:42 am »

Bogeymen are nothing to be scared of, as long as they dont get you while you are sleeping, and you dont allow them to gang up more than one at a time on you.

The secret to killing them quickly..... Slash/stab them in the lower body. If it connects, its a one shot kill.
My gf thinks sex will stop me from playing dwarf fortress.
Little does she know that will never work, a beard doesnt look good on her.

Cannabust

• Bay Watcher
  • Prick with a pick
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2010, 12:32:54 am »

I love my new cleaver, you injure so many skulls~ I think next adventurer will use two cleavers and be known as Pete...
Current Adventurer: Fel AXESEVER, the MOUNTAINOUS VIOLENCE
http://new-eggbert.myminicity.com/ind (WE NEED FACTORIES!)
Armok needs blood, I just do it with picks.

Urist McUristy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2010, 12:51:03 am »

I love my new cleaver, you injure so many skulls~ I think next adventurer will use two cleavers and be known as Pete...
Will songs be sung about pete and his love for hacking, slashing, and whacking?

glopso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2010, 12:55:25 am »

When faced with an enemy with limbs which are hard to cut off, cut off the eyes and run around it throwing stones at close range.
Hai Jacos

Cannabust

• Bay Watcher
  • Prick with a pick
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2010, 01:50:50 am »

Will songs be sung about pete and his love for hacking, slashing, and whacking?

oh yes, people far and wide will sing about it, but will he sing? No Pete never sings, "He just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat"
Current Adventurer: Fel AXESEVER, the MOUNTAINOUS VIOLENCE
http://new-eggbert.myminicity.com/ind (WE NEED FACTORIES!)
Armok needs blood, I just do it with picks.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2010, 03:17:57 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

1v0ry_k1ng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2010, 06:53:01 am »

has anyone noticed that hitting with the pommels of swords, but especially daggers with their tiny pommel, is insanely powerful? hitting someone on the head with a dagger pommel is instakill, and elsewhere it reliably shatters bones

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2010, 07:51:01 am »

I've not noticed pommel strikes to be particularly effective (using a dagger).  What are your stats and skills?
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6