Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Combat tips, tricks and exploits  (Read 9771 times)

TicklemeFeather

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
    • TicklemeFTR's Simple G19 keyboard GUI
Re: Combat tips, tricks and exploits
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2010, 07:38:05 pm »

Just poke out there eyes and walk away ;)
DF as a game is the equivalent of sitting down and having a conversation with the homeless guy in the park who screams about flying children trying to rip his skin off.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2010, 07:53:02 pm »

I'll put this here in case people don't check previous pages.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2010, 08:03:10 pm »

SIZE, ADAMZ! SIZE!
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Mechanist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2010, 11:54:49 pm »

I dont know if is a known fact, but i've discovered this playing genesis mod long time ago, and it works in vanilla:

get a lot of shields (no needed skill) *r*emove them from backpacks

shields are now in your hands (all of them)

you became the ultimate tank

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2010, 12:27:49 am »

Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2010, 12:33:00 am »

And what about pick vs. whip?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2010, 12:37:32 am »

"10v10 duel, right now, miners vs whips. How much armor, what kind of whips would you prefer? We're using steel picks."
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=71274.msg1739475#msg1739475
you too.
Badges of honor

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2010, 01:35:48 am »

Badges of honor

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2010, 02:19:47 am »

So through the scientific method, we could conclude that dual wielding picks & whips can bring you a can of whoop-ass in most situation...even more if you tie your pick at the end of your whip! Supersonic picks!

Thank you !SCIENCE!
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2010, 02:28:34 am »

Exactly.
Badges of honor

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2010, 08:35:25 am »

Another random tip.  Fight near your buddies.

When you start getting large numbers of companions going off by yourself during a big melee (like bandit attacks) is just asking to get killed.  It is generally better to aid a larger group of your companions than a smaller one.  Because if your group begins getting overwhelmed you end up in a 5v1 situation, and even if your companions did have any desire to stop what they are doing to save you in combat turns it takes a very long time for one to move to your aid.

Also when moving into a site where you expect archers move slowly enough for your companions to keep up.  If you do start taking fire you can let your companions charge in ahead of you.  Archers generally seem to try to target their nearest target.  Try to make sure that isn't you.  Sneaking to the site helps with this nicely.  You move slow enough for your companions to keep up, and you are unlikely to become the target.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

sobriquet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2010, 10:09:26 am »

(originally posted in 'On Aimed Attacks' thread.  moved here for relevance)

Also related to beating opponents better than you, esp early on-

if your mass/size and/or muscle are bigger'n your foe, but you can't get through his guard and he's slicing you up (let's say, for instance, a starting min/maxed swordsman peasant vs. a goblin outlaw boss)--

KNOCK HIM THE FUCK DOWN.

Set your default combat settings (Shift-C) to 'charge' and you may well knock him/her down with your strike even if it blocks.

Also re: grabbing/choking out--- don't have a solid grip on that throat?  what's that? he keeps stabbing you, and that's bad?

1. grab the weapon. don't drop it.  throw it away or back up and hurl it at him.  in 31.18, enemies won't pick it up unless they happens to be in the same square.

Now let's see how his punching skill is.

2. grab his head with one of your hands and gouge his eyes out.  after I blind an opponent, i can disengage and sneak back up on him from behind and choke him out there.  then kick to the head til' dead.  they don't come after you if blind and you get a few steps away.

Thanks everybody!  I'll be here all night.

Ktalyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2010, 12:09:50 pm »

With my peasant human outsider, I've noticed that daggers can really be a good weapon sometimes.
With my copper dagger and adept knife user skill, I could kill any at the size of a human with only one strike to the lower body. The only creatures who caused me trouble were bogeymen on a flat plain

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2010, 12:31:57 pm »

Shield use is still king, with the correct stats to back it up. Wrestling holds can still wreck you through armor use, and dodging was dangerous enough before with the risk of jumping off ledges, but now can also set you up for a back attack. Shield use requires agility for speed and endurance for the amount of action per round. Two handed weapons may be mighty (ymmv) and dual wielding is no doubt cool, but turtling is the most reliable defense.

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2010, 12:34:01 pm »

With my peasant human outsider, I've noticed that daggers can really be a good weapon sometimes.
With my copper dagger and adept knife user skill, I could kill any at the size of a human with only one strike to the lower body. The only creatures who caused me trouble were bogeymen on a flat plain

That's because some research conducted in another thread found that the best piercing weapon was actually stabbing with a large dagger. They make strangely good anti-armour weapons.

Anyway, my view is that:
1. Wrestling is god in this version. Only bogymen, mega-beasts and weapon masters can wrestle back effectively. My favourite tactic 1 on 1 especially is to grab, throw then break my opponent's leg before coking him into unconsciousness. From there it's about 1-3 hits to finish from there.

2. While it feels stylish to kill someone by slitting their throat, it is actually very annoying to do as it seems both cloaks, robes and (leather at least) armour blocks attacks here (note, needs further testing). So I keep finding that I can only bruise the throat with my copper large dagger until these things have been removed. However, other edged weapons (swords, axes, heck even picks) can usually bypass this.

3. This needs proper testing but especially on bogymen aimed attacks hit a lot less. This is only personal experience but it seems to be very true.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6