Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Combat tips, tricks and exploits  (Read 9779 times)

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Combat tips, tricks and exploits
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 02:59:26 pm »

True jacob/lee  :D

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 03:41:46 pm »

Whips are still the sickest damage dealers -- their very existence begs for exploitation. And it's far easier to get a silver one earlier.

Recuperation doesn't really help much in the middle of combat, so I wouldn't put a whole lots of points in that. I wouldn't bother with disease resistance at all -- even take points out of it -- until you actually get good enough at the game to last long enough to find a titan or similar monster.
Are you sure you can find titans in adventurer mode? I believe the triggers for their appearance only happen in fortresses. Also, recup helps between combats, if leaving combat with an injury, you'll be in better shape to face an ambush sooner.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 03:44:25 pm by Uzu Bash »

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 04:16:24 pm »

Are you sure you can find titans in adventurer mode? I believe the triggers for their appearance only happen in fortresses.

Lords/Ladies give quests to kill titans. Titans hang out at the abandoned temples throughout the world.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010, 04:36:29 pm »

Could I just throw out how retarded mining picks are, damage-wise? They deal the same, devastating, edge-weapon damage to both unarmored and armored opponents alike.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Cannabust

• Bay Watcher
  • Prick with a pick
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2010, 04:39:00 pm »

Could I just throw out how retarded mining picks are, damage-wise? They deal the same, devastating, edge-weapon damage to both unarmored and armored opponents alike.
'
Grizzly what skill does pick use in adventure mode for melee battle with it? I've been meaning to make an adventurer who finds a pick and goes insane killing a whole town (hopefully!)
Current Adventurer: Fel AXESEVER, the MOUNTAINOUS VIOLENCE
http://new-eggbert.myminicity.com/ind (WE NEED FACTORIES!)
Armok needs blood, I just do it with picks.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2010, 04:40:22 pm »

IT USES MINING SKILL FOR GREAT JUSTICE.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Cannabust

• Bay Watcher
  • Prick with a pick
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2010, 04:41:50 pm »

IT USES MINING SKILL FOR GREAT JUSTICE.
I thought it used hammer or mace, since you can't upgrade your mining skill.
Current Adventurer: Fel AXESEVER, the MOUNTAINOUS VIOLENCE
http://new-eggbert.myminicity.com/ind (WE NEED FACTORIES!)
Armok needs blood, I just do it with picks.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2010, 04:46:18 pm »

It upgrades as you use picks mine skulls.
Badges of honor

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2010, 04:55:25 pm »

I thought picks were misc obj use for adventurers. It was in previous versions.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2010, 05:03:22 pm »

<<<<<legendary miner
Badges of honor

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2010, 05:04:45 pm »

Use the terrain to your advantage:

-Hills and trees provide cover against enemy ranged attackers and help in seperating bandit groups.

-I get rid of annoying bandit leaders who dodge everything by kiting them next to a pond, cliff, or even a 1 z-level ramp. You can then throw anything at them (like a copper coin) and they jump into danger.

-High Archer (not bow/crossbow) skill shortens reload time with bows or crossbows. A legendary archer with high agility can kite melee enemies while shooting them, and can out-shoot enemy ranged attackers. I made a sniper adventurer experiment, who only worked because he used a custom adventurer reaction to create free wood arrows (it makes sense if you travel in the forest a lot). He was very good at quests but died to bogeymen.

-Halberds have almost as much mass/impact as a maul or great axe, the contact area (slashing attack only) of a short sword, and the penetration depth of a 2-handed sword, making them ideal for limb removal. Stat wise, they should be better than other swords or blades. Absurdly, you can use one with a shield.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2010, 05:27:27 pm »

attack ther feet or legs to slow them down.
the lower body is a softer target the the upper body.
pommel strikes can be used to batter your foes and raise your sword skill.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

JustinP231

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2010, 05:43:11 pm »

Whips are still the sickest damage dealers -- their very existence begs for exploitation. And it's far easier to get a silver one earlier.

I hate those things. I fought a bandit leader with a silver whip and they just smashed my foot in with it and caused me to pass out from pain two turns later and get ripped apart.
Last week I found a bridge that ended short of a river crossing, effectively making it useless.

Name of the bridge? The Bridge of Swimming. Cheeky bastards those humans.

filthywalrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2010, 06:15:31 pm »

About the problems with armor - I've noticed that stabbing weapons are good at breaking bones through armor.
I'd like to make a baby zoo. Is there an effective and safe way to cage babies? Will they grow up or starve while caged? Or do they effectively freeze while caged?
DF forums:  Where this discussion is perfectly acceptable.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2010, 07:24:36 pm »

Doing some research !!Science!!, 10v10 dwarfs, 5 paces apart, with steel picks vs steel halberds and no skill, (can't give them skill for mining, so it wouldn't be fair). I allow 20 seconds irl after the battle for dwarves to bleed out.
Unarmored:
Trial 1: 3 Minerdwarfs surviving
Trial 2: 9 Minerdwarfs surviving
Trial 3: 4 Minerdwarfs surviving
Armored (Full bronze, no shields):
Trial 1: 9 Minerdwarfs surviving
Trial 2: 3 Minerdwarfs surviving
Trial 3: 4 Minerdwarfs surviving
Armored (Full steel, no shields):
Trial 1: 10 Minerdwarfs surviving, 1 Axedwarf surviving...(they refused to attack him, and he is missing.....eyes, ears, cheeks, a nose, both arms, most of his teeth, and everything else is bruised/fractured...dunno why they don't finish him off)(actually, I took control of the poor guy, and they were just wailing away at him w/o moving. He bled to death eventually.)
Trial 2: 9 Minerdwarfs surviving
Trial 3: 7 Minerdwarfs surviving

Exact armor given:
breastplate
helm
gauntlet
gauntlet
high boot
high boot
greaves

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 07:26:36 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6