Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 3x3 Volcano in the middle of a flat 5x5 plain!  (Read 938 times)

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
3x3 Volcano in the middle of a flat 5x5 plain!
« on: November 21, 2010, 12:29:45 pm »

So just got around to downloading .18 and I start looking for a nice haunted region to start my fort full of ghost on.  During world gen I noticed several volcanoes that looked to be in viable areas. Excited I start poking around and find this nice little gem.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Its an entire volcano surrounded by flat plains if you extend to 5x5 embark size. Its about 43 z-lvls from top to bottom
Unforunately there's no running surface water, but I've never lucked out and managed a full mountain like this before. There are however a handfull of murky pools around the bottom. 
For those interested here's the dfmap showing it in all its glory.

Going 3x3 you get a bit of the plains surrounding the entire thing but the top and right most edges has ramps right on the edge of the map.
4x4 will get you pleanty of space aroudn the the mountain if you extend to the top and right of the 3x3 :D

Here's the gen info
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
Re: 3x3 Volcano in the middle of a flat 5x5 plain!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 12:46:25 pm »

Is it just me, or does the mountain look like a tooth on z-level 77?

You could build an awesome fortress by making the only passage to it over the volcano.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 01:12:53 pm »

I got these a lot in .16. nice to see they are still possible. Thanks, Tcei!
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 01:25:36 pm »

I remember getting one of those in 40d
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 02:00:48 pm »

I found quite a few areas like this in a world I genned recently. All very steep mounds surrounded by natural terrain, flat or not. Basically all you need to do is gen a world with high volcanism and elevation variance and minimum 200 volcanoes. I'd make minimum 800 river start locations too just to aid in finding one with a running river.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.