Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ron Wyden Saves the Internet  (Read 2037 times)

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ron Wyden Saves the Internet
« on: November 21, 2010, 11:25:19 am »

Hello, everyone. Whether you liked it or not, there was a controversy happening. One that would take away our internet as we know it and make it so governments had complete control of it.

One man stopped this.

http://www.examiner.com/progressive-in-portland/oregon-senator-ron-wyden-saves-internet-from-censorship-bill-coica

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ron Wyden Saves the Internet
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 11:27:59 am »

It seems kind of silly to attribute this to just one man when so many people did oppose such a bill.

Also, this should probably be moved to the appropriate board, since I don't think Ron Wyden is a dwarf.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 12:31:02 pm »

COICA sets up a system through which the US government can blacklist a pirate website from the Domain Name System, ban credit card companies from processing US payments to the site, and forbid online ad networks from working with the site. It passed the Senate Judiciary Committee 19-0 this week.
Passed ninteen to zero?! Do these people even have to read the Constitution before being put into office?!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 12:32:31 pm »

Fuck yeah! My state is actually doing something useful for once! I just hope that it actually accomplishes something. Republics are fun like this aren't they? Going back and forth on issues like this.

COICA sets up a system through which the US government can blacklist a pirate website from the Domain Name System, ban credit card companies from processing US payments to the site, and forbid online ad networks from working with the site. It passed the Senate Judiciary Committee 19-0 this week.
Passed ninteen to zero?! Do these people even have to read the Constitution before being put into office?!
They probably had to do a paper on it in college, but beyond that, I doubt it :P

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 12:40:10 pm »

So... is he filibusting it?  I'm not entirely sure how these things work.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 12:45:24 pm »

He's basically stalling the bill for a few days, and Congress only has a few legislative days left in this year. This will give him and his supporters several months to build up a majority against such an obviously bad idea.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 12:52:00 pm »

So, is he actually have to go up on the Senate floor and talk for 8 hours or what?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 12:54:30 pm »

Well, he could do that, and it might win over a few people in the process, but all he really needs to do is declare a fillibuster and not have Congress vote to cloture him before the legislative year is up.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 12:58:09 pm »

You need 60 senators to break a fillibuster, right?

Could luck, reps :P.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 01:10:09 pm »

Well, he could do that, and it might win over a few people in the process, but all he really needs to do is declare a fillibuster and not have Congress vote to cloture him before the legislative year is up.
I figured it was something more like this. The Senate is weird.

Although, taking a look at who's on the committee, this is the kind of thing I could see generating some cross party support.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 02:34:40 pm »

The COICA is one of those bills that has been written for over a decade, and they keep trying to slide it in whenever they think they have a chance at passing it. There's a lot going on in this bill that isn't about copyright infringement, it's basically a Lego block add-on to the Patriot Act that would make it retroactively legal to do things that are already done illegally.

Furthermore, COICA is not the main threat to web neutrality, as the "let's not immediately shut down the internet" option immediately following the failure of it would be to make it legal for internet providers to "stratify" their services, so you'd have to pay more for downloading anything at all.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 02:45:13 pm »

Hooray for
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 02:52:40 pm »

Although, taking a look at who's on the committee, this is the kind of thing I could see generating some cross party support.

It's bizarre I know.  The Judiciary Committee is like The Asshole All-Stars, and that they managed to pass anything nineteen to zero is pretty disheartening.  It's not the OH NOES CENCERING TEH INTERNET aspect of these bills that worry me, it's the complete disregard for due process.  All it would take is an official allegation of copyright infringement and your site is blacklisted off American registries and banned from credit-card business.  It's not hard to imagine how fast that would turn into a mountain of business warfare.  Which I guess means it'd be on the books for a year or two at most before being obliterated in the Supreme Court, but that's no reason to tempt fate.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 03:40:43 pm »

I'm so proud to be an Oregonian today. So proud.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 05:07:54 pm »

Don't any of them see parallels with the great firewall of China?

Also, as far as I can tell, this would allow the American government to arbitrarily nuke even foreign sites.  Might cause problems.
Pages: [1] 2