Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dawn of Mankind: Development Redux Discussion Thread  (Read 598 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Dawn of Mankind: Development Redux Discussion Thread
« on: November 21, 2010, 11:15:28 am »

I seem to have a bit more free time lately, so I've been thinking of starting up a game. In particular, a version of this game which I abandoned oh so long ago. However, it was abandoned for a fairly good reason, mostly that it was a ton of work with very little reward. The purpose of this thread then, is to discuss both who would be interested in playing again and what might be a more efficient way to run it. In particular, we have the following topics to cover:

In the original, there was an elder council who made all the decisions. This added a unique element to the gameplay, but also slowed down the game. A lot. Needing to get everyone to vote on every issue made turns take quite a while, and when there was opposing votes it took a while for me to figure out what was going on. If the game resumes, would you prefer the same cooperative element of the game OR would you prefer to each handle different sections of the game (such as the shaman who governs religion, the warchief who governs military, or the earth mother who governs domestic affairs, etc.) OR would you each prefer to handle your own tribe?

Also in the original, every turn I would post a map that detailed the lands known by the tribes with the rest being black, sort of emulating how it works in Civilization. What is discovered is while Civilization only needs to flip a bool on if a tile is revealed or not and have the graphics engine do the rest, putting a new map together piece by piece every turn, then placing units on it is a sh*tton of work. I'm thinking for this version of the game, it will probably be all text-based, unless there is a huge demand for maps. Alternatively, if anyone can point me towards a good application that I can have the map and units on and just screencap to post it, that might work as well.

Finally, the time in the original seemed rather off. I ran it on a weekly basis, and tried to balance things as such, but once again, that made it take a TON of time before anything really changed. For this version, I was considering running it on a seasonal basis instead, so things go much faster.

So, what do you guys think? Worth bringing back, or should I just make a different game?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of Mankind: Development Redux Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 11:47:29 am »

I would be interested!

I think if you take a look at the 'Roll to found a city state' thread over in roll to dodge you'll see something very similar in concept that seems to work quite well with a few people working together by at the same time being able to work on their own things. Giving out roles is a good way of making sure everyone has their own area to look after and improve and would give the players a sense of accomplishment when their projects really helped the civilization along. Perhaps a 'chief' position might also be given to a very active player that the other players agree on?

Not sure if you've looked at Hexographer before, but it might be able to help you with your mapping woes http://www.inkwellideas.com/roleplaying_tools/hexographer/index.shtml
There's a free version if you scroll down a bit which has most of the main features. I believe it has a feature that lets you set hexs to GM only, though I'm not sure if that makes the hex invisible or not.

Just some thoughts.  :)

Sneevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 12:04:55 pm »

i'm interested
I agree with Knave on the everyone has his own thing to look  after .But for very important decisions (like changing religion, changing goverment, war, peace ectr.) everyone still has to vote for it.The chief's word would then count as 2 votes as a sort of tie breaker.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 05:02:30 pm »

Alright, I like the position system where each person controls an aspect of the tribe myself, so I guess we'll go with that.

I looked at Hexographer. It's neat, though I can't figure out how to get the GM-only thing to work... though I could always fill it in with space and just add land as appropriate. Still don't have a real good method for unit placement, though.

The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 07:42:47 am »

i'm in.
But dont got any ideas to improve the game.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.