Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: wall breacher  (Read 1398 times)

crackesians

• Bay Watcher
  • for science just try it NOW!
    • View Profile
wall breacher
« on: November 21, 2010, 10:15:02 am »

adding battering ram for goblin siege is very interisting,Right?
it can destroy your wall.
they will also harm you psychologically if they can't reach you physically... the fps drop will drive you mad

what is a ninja?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: wall breacher
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 11:39:19 am »

look for my upcoming vehicle megathread.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 02:46:11 pm »

adding battering ram for goblin siege is very interisting,Right?
it can destroy your wall.

Pretty sure, it's suggested, and very very highly debated. I don't know toadys official stance on it
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 01:22:38 pm »

Wall breakers are as soon as your soldiers learn to stay in groups and to obey move commands. Until then, it's just frustration galore.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 05:52:55 pm »

Magma moats reaching from the surface right down to the magma ocean.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 04:26:27 am »

Battering ram > doors, grates.  :D
Battering ran > walls.  :o >:(
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 09:39:23 am »

gonna quote something i posted elsewhere about "hydra getting caged":
yeah, somehow it feels "weird" when such things happen.

some bronze colossus just visited my fortress and i was happy that my military could finally show if training/walls/positioning is good at the entrance of my fortress to hold it off (or get slaughted to goo trying). so i mobilized my 60 military people with 20 of them on the walls to crossbow... and that colossus got caught in a puny wooden cage trap while he "dodged" a bolt.

somehow i feel that untamed "whatever gets caged" should i.e. have some attacks against the cage material to break free...

maybe when we get more updates on sieges/war we get something like "attacks vs constructions/traps"
so i.e. walls/doors could be attacked by enemys or breached open. (well a kobold with a dagger would probably get tired pokeing against a dolomite wall to break in, but some steel hammer humans or a bronze colossus or trolls or catapults might be able to break through walls after a few attacks)
and caged "whatever" might be able to attack cages and break them open when the material cant hold them.
maybe they get more tired by each attack... so the first few days after beeing caged they get alot attacks to break free... but after some weeks/a month they might just get 1 attack per week or month while they are caged in a stockpile or constructed cage.

it certainly would encourage to build better material cages and wont realy cage up a hydra in a wooden cage anymore.

this "able to attack walls/constructions" would "fix walling in completely" ... as maybe some goblin ambushers follow the tracks of caravans and find out where your fort is "more or less".
and when "tracks/tracking" will be updated oneday they might be able to "find" the walls you made to wall yourself in the ground...  and then they report back the location...
and with "able to attack constructions" they (or whatever wants to get in your fort from outside or inside) could break in eventually...

the problem would still be moats that block off all pathing to your entrance.  but there they could bring ropes to "build" some rope ladder and get down the moat and up on the other side. also they could "climb up walls" that way with constructed rope ladders. (you know... grappling hook like http://ancientarmour.com/ninja-grappling-hook.jpg)

or they could chop down nearby trees/dig stone and build floors/bridges over water/lava moats.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 11:45:53 am »

On the latter idea: Rather, they'd just fill in the moat, starting from the bottom.
They're not geniuses (not like truely awesome dwarves, aka you).
But they CAN dump logs into a moat until they have a path they can walk across.
Think of it as a "fill in" command.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 12:09:07 pm »

Think of it as a "fill in" command.

Infinitely useful in Fortress Mode as well.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 12:41:49 pm »

Indeed it would be.

crackesians

• Bay Watcher
  • for science just try it NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 10:47:45 am »

so,the goblin must bring along the logs to crossing the moat....
i think they must bring caravan....
they will also harm you psychologically if they can't reach you physically... the fps drop will drive you mad

what is a ninja?

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 11:32:15 pm »

Actually one used to just fill in moats with dirt and debris till it ends up enough that they could walk in it, they could just build a bridge, or throw ropes across and ford with them etc, find ways of bringing down your bridges, tunnelers..

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 07:09:06 am »

Fascines. Just a large bundle of sticks. They used them as recently as WWI to allow tanks to cross trenches.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 10:14:21 am »

http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/features/siege/fnlassault/fillingditch.html

this would be cool, basically a tunnel structure with a mantalet in front of it that is constructed to cross ditches and dig trough walls protected from archery and musket fire (or in our case, ranged)

if the invaders would use this tactic it could give the player enough time to respond (its constructed tile by tile) but still prevent him from creating an impenetrable vault

i think the correct way to calculate where the invaders would place this is to first identify the "outer walls" (this can be a moat, a built wall or a door) i think a "paintbucket fill" sort of calculation has to be preformed, the same as the depot accessibility tester works then finding the closest inner layer of walls they can reach and start siegeing that one appropriately (for doors and walls battering ram, moats: fascines or a bridge tunnel with mantalet depending on dept)

players could then choose for different types of defence options

retirata (building a wall inside the fortress around the potential breach with battlements to close in the invaders as soon as they break trough and when they charge in they will be left to the mercy of your ranged dwarves), catapults (excellent for destroying siege equipment), shooting your entire armoury of bolts on it hoping to hit someone, or a surgical suicide strikeforce leaving trough a door closeby to kill off the constructors and retreat before they can complete there work

i think what is important here is that the siege should take some time... im talking about at least half a month in game time to break trough a 1 tile thick wall (depending on the material of the wall used and possibly the quality of the architecture) or cross a 4 block wide 1 block deep moat (deeper moats require a different strategy, and could take longer it all depends on the dept you want to give sieges)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 10:17:31 am by blizzerd »

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 10:36:37 am »

so,the goblin must bring along the logs to crossing the moat....
i think they must bring caravan....

thats why i suggested "rope ladders". every goblin can carry one or two ropes with them to "construct a rope ladder" down into moats or up onto a wall they cant get past without it.

i think the correct way to calculate where the invaders would place this is to first identify the "outer walls" (this can be a moat, a built wall or a door) i think a "paintbucket fill" sort of calculation has to be preformed, the same as the depot accessibility tester works then finding the closest inner layer of walls they can reach and start siegeing that one appropriately (for doors and walls battering ram, moats: fascines or a bridge tunnel with mantalet depending on dept)

well this would require tons of scripts to "calculate whats where etc"  and i am pretty sure the players could abuse it somehow with tricky wall placement.
(and as if goblins would care much about high architecture tunnels)

the simpler idea is to just allow "constructions (walls, doors) to be attacked" and to take damage depending on the material its made of and the material that attacks it.
so monsters could simply attack walls and either get tired of attacking as they cant breach them so they move around a bit more and try another place (depends on intelligence i guess).
or when they carry ropes, they can build rope ladders next to constructions they cant get up/down/around like a wall or a moat.

damaged but not destroyed constructions could be repaired. (constructions would be either "working/damaged/ or destroyed".  damaged constructions could take longer to use (i.e. a ladder) and maybe hurt the user. and damaged walls are easyer to break through with attacks.)

well for a water/magma filled moat its more complicated...
they cant "build rope ladders or attack it"....   and when they "fill up" (what still would be a more or less usefull solution for water/magma obstacles" they might flood half the map with water/magma while they fill up some spaces of the moat.

building a floor tile over water from a chopped down tree or dug out stone could work there (building something to get around the obstacle, here a floor tile instead of a ladder from ropes").

where on magma moats....  well.. maybe they carry waterskins like our military does and can use these to get water to cool down the magma and then build a floor over it?

-----
as other idea: "able to build siege camps" (like the ones in the "stronghold 2" games)
from where they can gather stone/wood and build ladders/catapults/ rams etc...

could be similar to the kennels, a 6x6 workshop that they build near the border where they enter when they siege.
coudl be some workshop/stockpile construction like:

ssswww
ssswww
ssswww
gggWWW
gggWWW
gggWWW

s=stone stockpile
w=wood stockpile
g=finishes siege goods stockpile
W=siege workshop to build siege equipment

ladders could be similar to ropes just out of gathered wood, when they are out of ropes.
a ram could either be:
-like a wagon that can slowly attack... (people could easyly avoid the attack but it does huge damage to constructions nearby)
-or a small one like a carried weapon that has bonus vs constructions but is quite useless in combat. (i.e. a huge slow blunt weapon) but could be thrown on the ground when in combat to equip a weapon, and picked up after combat again.

------
regarding "fill in":
they could gather dirt like the "gather sand zone".
and throw that dirt down holes like the "fill pond zone"... where the dirt falls down like water does. and creates a ramp when it falls on empty ground or creates a filled dirt tile when it falls on a ramp tile.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 11:11:23 am by Nelia Hawk »