Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Two prisoners-related questions:  (Read 1178 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Two prisoners-related questions:
« on: November 21, 2010, 08:59:22 am »

1: What determines the odds of a prisoner breaking free of his hauler?
  I have had this happen many times, and am trying to minimize this by disabling animal hauling from anyone who is weak, but I dont know if this actually works out.

2: What happens if you catapult a prisoner off map? CAN you catapult a prisoner off-map? (inspired by the "Homer vs the Eighteenth amendment" episode)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: Two prisoners-related questions:
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 09:22:51 am »

1. Just put cages right next to the place where you want to haul and then even babies will be able to haul them. Just don't do this on goblin thieves - they will break free even of Superdwarf who singlehandedly slew a platinum... well, you know whom I'm talking about... by punching it in the face.
2. I can't tell for sure, but I think they will fly off the map.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 10:27:19 am »

1. i've never had a dwarf break free during hauling so this is odd to me
2. you can't load a prisoner into a catapult

That said I HAVE had jailbreaks. dwarves have gone bananas and torn eachothers chains to pieces.. in most cases prisoners need to be cheered up .. so building beds next to their chains and putting up a mist generator should help. (sure i could just not build chains or build chains so that they can reach eachother. but what fun would that be? no jailbreaks, no prison shivings, no panic from an alligator crawling in there *happened today*)
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 11:35:52 am »

But you can load cages onto a drawbridge.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 11:53:35 am »

Punctualizations:

1: I meant nondwarven prisoners, mostly. I've had goblins break free. And kobolds don't fall into cage traps frequently enough.

2: I intend to use a drawbridge. What happens if I use a drawbridge catapult to throw prisoners off-map?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 11:57:40 am »

But you can load cages onto a drawbridge.

I don't think you can do that.
I'm certain, however, that you can dump them.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 11:58:20 am »

You CAN use a drawbridge. Just put it one Z level lower, and then Pit prisoners onto it.

@
W
WBBBB

Where @ is your dwarf, W is a wall, and B is a drawbridge.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 11:58:49 am »

2: I intend to use a drawbridge. What happens if I use a drawbridge catapult to throw prisoners off-map?
I haven't tried it yet, but research states that launched objects/beings travel in a straight line until stopped by an obstacle. If no obstacle stops them, I imagine they leave the map, taking your cage with them. Not sure yet if another goblin qualifies as an obstacle, but it's my hope the cage deals some damage on the way out.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 11:58:53 am »

You CAN use a drawbridge. Just put it one Z level lower, and then Pit prisoners onto it.

That's... exactly what I said? You can dump the cage on the bridge, not build it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 11:59:57 am »

I don't want to dump the cage. I want to Pit the prisoners inside. That's why Part 1 of my question is important.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 12:04:43 pm »

I don't want to dump the cage. I want to Pit the prisoners inside. That's why Part 1 of my question is important.

You may want to build the cage right next to the pit. The dungeon master, from my experience, seems good at handling things; but take this with a grain of salt.

I was not suggesting you wanted to dump the cage; merely reacting to the "build it on the bridge" guy.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 12:06:39 pm »

Hm. That's a bit ellaborate, as it requires forbidding every cage but the one I'm to build. It might work though. Will give it a try.

It's strange because goblins and the like don't automatically break free. I've had successfully hauled them to the execution tower in the past, often after being recaptured after breaking free. That's why I assume the game is factoring something. I was assuming it was strenght, but maybe it's rolling wrestling checks or something like that?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 12:09:28 pm by ChairmanPoo »

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 12:08:15 pm »

Hm. That's a bit ellaborate, as it requires forbidding every cage but the one I'm to build. It might work though. Will give it a try.

No, no, you can select it directly (there is an expand key, or something), when building the cage.
Also, a drawbridge launch direction is rather random; so you may want to ensure the creature either stays in the cage, or can't be launched into your soft, squishy haulers.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 12:10:26 pm »

Or simply designate a dump zone on 1 tile of the drawbridge while down, and then designate that particular cage for dumping. If you don't value the cage, that is. Otherwise yeah, you'd have to build the cage you want to discard and swap the prisoner into it.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 12:27:52 pm »

Oh I see you meant that way.

Well ... I don't think it will work. If you take a regular catapult and shoot out the side of the map, does not the stone stop there and drop?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.
Pages: [1] 2