Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Gay shenanigans at the UN  (Read 10521 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gay shenanigans at the UN
« on: November 21, 2010, 04:55:16 am »

You can thank Neil Gaimen for bringing this to your attention.

I just don't have it in me to write a huge wall of text explaining my views, you probably know them and you can certainly guess.

Holy fuck.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 04:50:33 am by Jackrabbit »

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: UN declares killing homosexuals acceptable
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 04:57:27 am »

Well, fuck.
I can't think of anything to add but how shockingly horrible this is.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 04:58:05 am »

Go UN.
You're the best.

Heh, the irony of my current avatar...

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 05:00:27 am »

Shit...
*Hugs*

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 05:03:03 am »

If we had countries banning homosexuality and executing people for it already, just how much difference does this make?
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 05:04:34 am »

when was this?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 05:05:19 am »

That's bullshit. Killing people without good reason is bullshit. Unless that man is about to kill you, then killing him is wrong. Doesn't matter what they think, or do in their bedchambers (as long as it's consensual).
when was this?
Recent, by the date on the news story.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 05:06:27 am »

If we had countries banning homosexuality and executing people for it already, just how much difference does this make?

I think what it is was an attempt to ban homosexual executions, which got turned down.
So as it is, the only change is that the official stance is 'yeah, it's not discrimination.'

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 05:12:21 am »

Because this would make it clear that the rest of the world won't stand for it. As pathetically weak and unauthoritative as the UN is, it's still one of the largest international organizations in existance. And now they've made it clear, to everyone, that they'll take no action if you keep your backwards beliefs and have homosexuals killed by law. The only potential good that could come of this is to give decent countries yet another reason to leave the UN.

I only take solace in that my country made the right choice here.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 05:16:31 am »

But now sexual orientation has been taken out of the list. The amendment was supported by Benin in Africa on behalf of the African Group in the UN General Assembly. It passed on a narrow vote of 79 for, 70 against , 17 abstentions and 26 absent.

And therein lay the answer.  Out of 192 possible votes, that's 23% who either didn't send a delegate or chose not to make a stand (I'd like to see the actual list).  But more importantly, there's just a large number of countries that would support this allowance (namely, good chunks of Africa and Central Asia).  Worth remembering that the U.N. has virtually no power over anyone anywhere anyway, so it's not like the previously-existing "ban" on discrimination was stopping, y'know, those 79 countries or anyone else from doing whatever they wanted to gays in the first place.

Because this would make it clear that the rest of the world won't stand for it. As pathetically weak and unauthoritative as the UN is, it's still one of the largest international organizations in existance. And now they've made it clear, to everyone, that they'll take no action if you keep your backwards beliefs and have homosexuals killed by law. The only potential good that could come of this is to give decent countries yet another reason to leave the UN.

Well, the idea here is that, numerically, most of the rest of the world doesn't have a problem with standing for it.  In terms of one-for-one represented governments anyway.  And I can guarantee you that not a single country is going to boycott or leave the U.N. over this, because while it may have no power in itself, boycotting the U.N. tends to come off as worse than, say, voting to stop hand-wringing over executing gays.  It's the quiescent honor of democracy, to stand by a vote even when you don't like the outcome.  Campaign for the future yes, but not throw a pout over the present.  I ain't no diplomat though.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 05:17:10 am »

Hmm, By their logic, it would be legal for a country to ban heterosexuality and execute people for being straight. Time to found a new land I believe!
*Hugs*

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 05:24:01 am »

Well, the idea here is that, numerically, most of the rest of the world doesn't have a problem with standing for it.  In terms of one-for-one represented governments anyway.  And I can guarantee you that not a single country is going to boycott or leave the U.N. over this, because while it may have no power in itself, boycotting the U.N. tends to come off as worse than, say, voting to stop hand-wringing over executing gays.  It's the quiescent honor of democracy, to stand by a vote even when you don't like the outcome.  Campaign for the future yes, but not throw a pout over the present.  I ain't no diplomat though.
When you take the economy in a direction that the opposition doesn't like, that's a time to stand by democracy.
When you limit the consumption of specific drugs because you see it to be wrong when the oppositon argues for them to be free, that's a time to stand by democracy.
When you feel that your electorates are simply not doing enough, that's a time to stand by democracy.

When an international organization votes to do somthing that can obviously be interpreted as "Kill all the gays you want, we won't do anything!", that is not a time to stand by democracy, not in the UN at least. I know even the opposite decision wouldn't do much, but it would be somthing.

I don't think that decent nations should leave the UN because of this alone, by the way, just another addition to the list.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 05:26:58 am »

And boycotting the UN would achieve.. what? Weaken it even further? Give even more weight to the countries that voted in favor of that?

Here's food for thought, however: The article lists the US as one of the countries that voted against this resolution. The US has veto power, and in fact uses it happily to restrict UN sanctions upon Israel. Why wasn't it used here?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 05:29:18 am »

This isn't the UN supporting killing of homosexuals. As much, as its just not discriminatory any more. And the vote was rather close.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 05:40:10 am »

:o

What the hell. Just happend. I think the UN just ran over their own human equality decleration, then proceeded to burn it...
 :o

What the hell is this?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10