Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vehicles?  (Read 1001 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vehicles?
« on: November 21, 2010, 01:40:44 am »

How might 'vehicles' that attack be modded in? I'm looking to mod in an 'attack rover'?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vehicles?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 01:47:59 am »

You could make them a mount so they'd show up on siegers. This would result in "wild" vehicles roaming the world and them moving independently of their drivers, and you'd have to contend with figuring out a way of making them commonly available to attackers but not player-buyable and not so common that you find roaming ones at every embark.

Mounts are unimplemented for player races, if you're thinking of asking.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 02:07:28 am »

You might be able to restrict them from appearing in the wild if you gave them no biome tokens. Normally, that prevents creatures from spawning, but if you also gave them [COMMON_DOMESTIC][MOUNT] they'd be able to be attained by civilizations with [COMMON_DOMESTIC_MOUNT]. Normally, that'd allow the player race to use them, too, but if you also gave them [EVIL] or [GOOD] (or both), that'd make them only usable by creatures with [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS] or [USE_GOOD_ANIMALS] (or both).
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 02:16:42 am »

Ah, alright. Is there any way I could make them produceable?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 02:24:56 am »

As in, with a reaction? No, there's no known way of creating a creature with a reaction, and people have been trying for years. You could make them "produceable" in "distant factories" and imported by giving them the same (lack of) reproductive systems as mules have, but no building them from raw materials in your own forts.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 07:27:44 am »

You might be able to restrict them from appearing in the wild if you gave them no biome tokens. Normally, that prevents creatures from spawning, but if you also gave them [COMMON_DOMESTIC][MOUNT] they'd be able to be attained by civilizations with [COMMON_DOMESTIC_MOUNT]. Normally, that'd allow the player race to use them, too, but if you also gave them [EVIL] or [GOOD] (or both), that'd make them only usable by creatures with [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS] or [USE_GOOD_ANIMALS] (or both).

the use evil animals has nothing to do with the evil flag of a creature, it just enables trolls for them as siege weapons (as goblins) i have that flag in my drow mod and tested various combinations.
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 09:54:37 am »

Yeah, "Vehicles" aren't even in for dwarves yet. Unfortunately, we're going to have to wait for mounts... for just a few more versions.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 12:25:34 pm »

If you don't need it to be a mount it is possible to have something that works well. I had some success making a thopter creature for the dune mod but it was very difficult. the main weakess of it came down to attack though. firebreath worked well but you cant give it a projectile weapon and have it do any damage. it will also constantly try to crash into people when attacking.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 12:26:45 pm »

the use evil animals has nothing to do with the evil flag of a creature, it just enables trolls for them as siege weapons (as goblins) i have that flag in my drow mod and tested various combinations.
If you'll notice, trolls have the [EVIL] tag (as well as a subterranean-only biome), while the goblin entity has [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS] and [USE_CAVE_ANIMALS]. That combination is what makes goblins bring trolls, not [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS] on its own. Your drow probably have the same combination of tags. An entity without [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS] will not, under normal circumstances, use [EVIL] creatures as siege weapons, pets, or what have you, while one with will.